Daily Reports Chatter

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Re: Daily Reports Chatter

Postby pedromvilar » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 pm

New threads are marked as such on the report but it's an image not text so you can't ctrl+F that fact and there isn't yet a handy place that groups all new threads.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Marri » Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Oh man I identify with that comic a lot. Also sometimes this one.

There's a NEW icon, yes, hopefully it suffices for an initial pass?

My main stumbling point on emails has been that it is non-trivially expensive to get a thing set up to process emails *at a specific time* (rather than triggered by a user action). The most straightforwards way to do it involves throwing money at a thing. Still peering at it. Smaller but still arguably relevant issue of "do I assume that users want a new report at their midnight every day, or should everyone on the site get one at the same midnight (EST?) every day, or a different time, etc."
Marri

Postby pedromvilar » Sun May 21, 2017 5:37 am

well currently it's "once a day more or less whenever throne feels like it" so i'm not sure most people will mind either very much?
pedromvilar

Postby Throne3d » Sun May 21, 2017 5:42 am

I'd go by 10am UTC for email times (and would also fix the reports at that time :P) since that's the cutoff point I use for declaring if something updated "yesterday" or "today". (Some people do tag past eg 2am PST, so it's not completely perfect, but people also tag before 10am GMT, so again.)
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby pedromvilar » Sun May 21, 2017 8:05 am

Random musings:

A toggle in account settings to let people pick whether their default page for Daily Report is today or yesterday.

If it's yesterday, it changes colour or gets a notification icon or something as soon as the day is over the same way the forum thread gets a notification daily, to remind people to check it.
pedromvilar

Postby Unbitwise » Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 am

A toggle in account settings to let people pick whether their default page for Daily Report is today or yesterday.

"Oldest unviewed day that is not today", not "Yesterday". Yesterday means people miss things if they have Days Away From Internet.

If it's yesterday, it changes colour or gets a notification icon or something as soon as the day is over the same way the forum thread gets a notification daily, to remind people to check it.

…A highlight-the-report-link thingy would in fact be a pretty good solution. (In that it would work adequately for me and doesn't sound too hard to implement compared to some exactly-right things.)
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Sun May 21, 2017 8:47 am

pedromvilar wrote:Random musings:

This sounds like an excellent idea

I agree with Unbitwise that "oldest unviewed day that is not today" is (also?) a useful option; I'd probably slightly prefer "oldest unviewed" over "yesterday", but would be happy with either.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether there should be a global day turnover, but I lean slightly toward 'yes, there should, at some low-glowfic-traffic time like Throne suggested'.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Unbitwise » Sun May 21, 2017 9:29 am

Everyone getting the same day cutoff is good for community discussion of stuff. It's slightly bad for the unfortunate person whose timezone & reading habits result in them landing on one side or the other inconsistently.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby pedromvilar » Sun May 21, 2017 10:20 am

Global time Vs. Personal time could be a setting

Global time Vs. Personal time Vs. You set a custom time could be an even better one (and yes the last thing subsumes the first two but from a UX standpoint it's probably better and more intuitive)
pedromvilar

Postby Ezra » Sun May 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Marri wrote:My main stumbling point on emails has been that it is non-trivially expensive to get a thing set up to process emails *at a specific time* (rather than triggered by a user action).

The forum emails are triggered by the user action of "Throne posts the report". Could Throne just have a button on the site to mail everyone their reports?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellanea