Timepoof thread

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Timepoof thread

Postby Timepoof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:10 am

I am kind of wistfully thinking about what would happen if I decided to make a self-insert template! Like, on the one hand, I fit in with the themes of glowfic templates and am also really weird and possibly interesting, but on the other hand everyone thinks they're interesting and I am very skeptical of my ability to write a self-insert? In any case I love answering questions about what I'd do in various glowficcy situations/with various glowfic magic, so if it strikes your fancy go for it.
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:51 am

You can totally make a self-insert template if you want to. Self-insert threads are a thing that has been done, although I don't think anyone's alted themselves yet.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Unbitwise » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:55 pm

It's worth distinguishing between several different things that could be called self-insert:

• "oh my god i have been teleported to a world i thought i was fictional help what is reality can i derail canon" (afaik the most popular meaning of "self-insert fanfic")
  • "Hi, characters, I am your author, mwahahaha" (metafictionality)
  • The above but being way subtle about it and not the narrator (TVTropes calls this Author Avatar)
  • "This is a person exactly like me except they are in the world I am writing and have a background suitable for that" (I suppose that's what Kappa means by alting oneself?)
I've actually done the last, but obscured it by — the opposite of template fusion? All of my original characters so far are based on different parts of myself. (Because unlike Kappa my brain does not spontaneously generate complete people.) I pretty much started with "okay what if I were three people".
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Timepoof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:27 pm

I did in fact originally mean the 4th option, but I am interested in doing all four. Huh, cool.

There's two problems:
Privacy concerns, which I might be able to solve somehow by changing up the details but then (a) people could still recognize me and I'm trying to keep my normal life and glowfic quite separate and (b) my brain runs on references a lot of the time, so to change things around I would need to invent fictional brands and their advertisement jingles, and possibly some fictional memes/repetitive phrases, (I can probably use real dishes,) and especially fictional media would be a pain (whoever heard of me going an hour without referencing glowfic or singing some song). Is there any simpler solution?

And then I have this problem when I'm writing and it's turned up to eleven when I'm writing a self-insert -- it's kind of... time weirdness? I kind of trip over myself in a rush to say all the things I'm thinking and explain things that perhaps don't need explanation and not explain/describe the things that do need it and I'm impatient for some plot event to happen such that I try to provoke it somehow... Yeah. I do not know how to deal with that.
Timepoof

Postby Timepoof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 pm

There turn out to be more and more problems every time I think/talk about it, man, why are self-inserts this complicated, I probably will not end up doing this.
Timepoof

Postby Timepoof » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 pm

I have updated this.
Timepoof

Previous

Return to Creations