Cycle Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Cycle Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:43 pm

You have to touch it. Seeing it is just the usual way to successfully do that. Shines can only be made of visible spectrum light even if you are turned into a vampire or something.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Ezra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Visible as defined by human eyes, or by the transmission window of Earth's atmosphere, or something else? If the first, I'd expect some plants to be unhappy under shine-light, which will be sort of UV-deficient.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:50 pm

As defined by why are you asking me I am not a physics. Some plants may have been thus unhappy, although the fact that the Trees don't sunburn people suggests that the sort of plants they'd have brought to grow would cope with lack of UV.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby atheistcanuck » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:40 pm

My impression is that the Trees don't sunburn people due to magic bullshit. They apparently produce ultraviolet light (it's visible at Mingling apparently?).
atheistcanuck

Pronouns: she/her

Postby DanielH » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:28 pm

I’m pretty sure plants don’t really need UV even if they are happier with it.

Also, a better method of conveying information to one’s reincarnation: discuss it out loud at least once per day, preferably twice. Within a week of getting full-time memory dreams, your future self will have the full content of the conversation. Maybe three weeks because they don’t start this process on their first or second life, but the one week estimate does include not mentioning it during childhood and perhaps sleeping less than a third of the time.

Most of that can be accomplished by making sure to discuss last night’s dreams every single morning, and why dreams are relevant. This conversation might need to take place after tea in order for the Dan to form memories of it.
DanielH

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:17 pm

That sounds...kind of like an incredibly huge time sink-to-benefit ratio
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:50 pm

That's why I mentioned that most of it could be handled in a discussion that should often be interesting anyway. It does not matter how long or short the conversation is; you spend half as much time asleep as awake so if you have the conversation twice a day you dream it once per night on average; I said once a week instead because of all the days you don’t do this.

Besides, it took years after Sylvi and Avedan started dreaming that they found the cache; I expect that the dream conversation is more worthwhile on average than most pre-cache activities and takes less than one year over the course of a lifetime. If that calculation is off and the dream conversation is bit worth it, keep in mind that it also does not need to be out loud or long. Simply thinking “If this is a strange dream, then you are a reincarnated version of me; come to Lapis, [address], at your earliest convenience” while brushing your teeth should be enough.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 pm

One actually gets 5-6 hours worth of dreams a night, not a solid 8.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:07 pm

And apparently the ramp up to 100% past life dreams is a lot slower than I thought, based on what Incandescence!Kib tells Aydanci; my plan might not actually speed things up very much but would probably still help some.
DanielH

Postby DanielH » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Wait, can shines and shades recognize reincarnations like golems and pets can?

Do the things that recognize reincarnations also recognize alts?
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!