This one setting thingy with witches and stuff?

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: This one setting thingy with witches and stuff?

Postby Kappa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

I think mainly what I was doing with using Burst instead of Bolt or Shroud was trying to maximize practical and conceptual versatility. Shroud has spooky connotations, Bolt has destructive ones; I feel like Burst is a good word for "suddenly, stuff!" that avoids those, and it's easier to imagine the caster using the Suddenly Stuff for a wider range of different purposes in a wider range of different ways.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Kappa wrote:I think mainly what I was doing with using Burst instead of Bolt or Shroud was trying to maximize practical and conceptual versatility. Shroud has spooky connotations, Bolt has destructive ones; I feel like Burst is a good word for "suddenly, stuff!" that avoids those, and it's easier to imagine the caster using the Suddenly Stuff for a wider range of different purposes in a wider range of different ways.

my main problem with "burst" is the lack of... magicky feeling to the word.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Burst sounds plenty magicky to me. It's used to describe one of the shapes of area effect spells in D&D. I also have the phrase "mana burst" cached but don't know what from.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Yeah, due to D&D jargon, "Burst" to me sounds specifically like an instantaneous effect radiating out from the caster.

I also considered calling "Shroud" "Cloak", if that has less-spooky connotations? In my mind it was a sort of blended enchant/area of effect that applies to a single target and has an area defined by the boundaries of the object. As for non-combat uses, here are some ideas:

Shroud of Spring - Fertilizes plants in enshrouded area, heals 'wearer', allows breathing underwater
Shroud of Summer - Keeps 'wearer' at a comfortable temperature, lights an enshrouded area
Shroud of Iron - Renders enshrouded target damage-resistant (protective gear and objects/buildings that are hard to break are useful outside of combat!)
Shroud of Autumn - Wearer's endurance (ability to perform work) increased; yield of enshrouded area increased (harvest, profits, etc)
Shroud of Night - Soporific effect on enshrouded area, cloaks wearer in shadow
Shroud of Winter - Preserves enshrouded target with cold (like a freezer/refrigerator)
Shroud of Chaos - Renders wearer or enshrouded target insubstantial, or maybe provides luck/inspiration to the wearer?
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Instantaneous effect yes, but not necessarily "radiating out" - they can be directed in a number of different ways.

edit: Those are interesting Shroud effects! I think some of them are covered under Bursts, but a little differently. I'll think about it. XD
Kappa

Postby Tamien » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:15 pm

An even less-spooky sounding term would be "Mantle", perhaps? I was just trying to think of nice succinct words for an effect settling on something in an enveloping layer.

"Burst" to me sounds kindof inherently explosive, so if the 'explosiveness' isn't due to a radiating-out then it sounds a bit destructive to me. But then again there are phrases like "burst of color" that sound perfectly innocuous so it's not hard-and-fast. Hmm.

The instantaneousness of Bursts does make them rather different from Shrouds in effect, though. A Burst of Spring would be like, an instant-heal, while a Shroud of Spring would be like, a slow heal over time while the effect is maintained. What effects were you thinking about for Bursts? I'm curious :D
Tamien

Postby Kappa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:29 pm

They are in the spreadsheet!

Hmm. With only seven slots, I'm not sure I want to take up one entire slot for an instantaneous effect and one entire slot for a lingering one... but they both seem useful...
Kappa

Postby Tamien » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Oh, I didn't realize the combinations were already filled in! *looks*

Yeah, they're different in effect but also ultimately similar enough to feel redundant with a limited set. I guess see what other Manifestations you want to include first, or maybe find ways to tweak them to be different from each other?
Tamien

Postby Kappa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:15 pm

I might decide to go with a manifestation that lets you permanently enchant an object to give an effect - like, an actual cloak of stealth, or an amulet of luck, or a bracelet of water-breathing. I feel like that would get the functionality of your Mantles into the system while still being sufficiently different from Burst.
Kappa

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 am

Alicorn wrote:Burst sounds plenty magicky to me. It's used to describe one of the shapes of area effect spells in D&D. I also have the phrase "mana burst" cached but don't know what from.

Sounds like a technical term for tabletop rpg games. It is the difference from "Fire ball" to "Flames of Yo'tau'k'toh" or something... well maybe not that much, but it doesnt sound very mystical to me.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Previous

Return to Creations