Research Help

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Research Help

Postby Alicorn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:55 pm

So just like there are intended Bells from Britain who are Sonequa Martin-Green facecast, there are intended Bells from Canada who are Jung Ryeo-Won facecast. These localizations-and-faces have slightly different attractor sets in some ways. Specifically, the Canada Bells wind up using wheelchairs (Toronto winters: an excellent prompt for looking into this idea!). I have visited Canada but do not use a wheelchair or have extensive legal knowledge. If anyone knows (or has sufficient googlefu to find) information about what that would be likely things-I-should-know-to-write-Canadian-wheelchairing-Bells, I would like to have this information. Additionally, one of them is going to have a familiar (alt of Cricket, woot) who looks like a cat most of the time and prefers to accompany her out-and-about, so information on Canadian rules about service animals (I'm having a hell of a time finding this; I get a lot of American results and a lot of dog-specific results) and what the experience of this Bell and her Cricket would likely be would also be handy.

Neither of these Canada Bells has made it onto the main spreadsheet yet and one of them is waiting for more canon to be written, so there's no desperate hurry, but I like having things squared away ahead of time.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Research Help

Postby Kappa » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Here's a thing, dunno if you've seen it already. I don't have direct experience, but I do have the advantage of Googling from Toronto.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Tamien » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:01 pm

Not knowing anything about the topic myself, nor having time to research just now, I will instead signal boost Little Details which is a livejournal community for just this sort of writerly research question. Even if you don't feel like posting a question, they carefully catalog all the posts made to the community with tags, so you might be able to find pertinent info that way.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Tried posting there; we'll see if I make it out of the moderation queue or if they want me to add something.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Shoal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 pm

there's a guy in canada who uses a wheelchair and blogs about disability stuff, sometimes about himself sometimes about other parts of the disability community. what comes to mind as something i hadn't really thought about before "not obvious" is how inconvenient it is when people don't shovel snow -- the path becomes completely impassible and he has to go in the street with the cars. http://davehingsburger.blogspot.com
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Alicorn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Notably, Canada Bells aren't actually clumsier than other Bells, let alone actually paralyzed. They just wind up dealing with it via wheelchair. They will still be able to get up and go around things, chair in tow, if they have to, as long as they're willing to have to have the following conversation with a rude onlooker occasionally:
"Why are you in a wheelchair if you can walk?"

"Why are you speaking when you could shut up?"

"But I mean you don't need it."

"Then it was truly monstrous of me to beat and rob that paralyzed orphan from whom oh wait that never happened."
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 am

Little Details is awesome, thanks Tamien :D
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Tamien » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Glad that it was of use to you! I've never actually posted to the community myself, but I like reading and occasionally commenting.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Yenzen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:41 pm

You really got some great answers on Little Details. I have no more help to give, but I do have a question: will the Crickets understand each other? I hope they do, much gossip would be had at future Bell parties! :D
Yenzen

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Shoal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:00 pm

crickets must understand each other! in cricket's source canon the cats could understand each other.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Next

Return to Spoilerland!