This one setting thingy with witches and stuff?

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: This one setting thingy with witches and stuff?

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:54 pm

Kappa wrote:I've already filled in all the Blades in the spreadsheet, and I think they work pretty well. I'm not sure whether they'd be summoned or enchanted onto an existing sword; it's possible that either could work.

Oh, I forgot about that spreadsheet, saw then now. I think that the Night Blade "can cause death with a cut" effect is a little overpowered, but otherwise no objections. Maybe the Night Blade just "drains life" making it deadlier than a regular blade.

Kappa wrote:I am far too fond of Chaos and Autumn to get rid of them now that I've finally got them more or less nailed down XD But there's nothing preventing you from coming up with a variant system if you feel like it!

I was considering something like that, but more for a... "fanfic" where a person meets a witch-alt in Milliways, and even then it is only because I have some ideas for the powers that I want the witch to have/show, rather than the needing the entire system.

Kappa wrote:I'm also toying with the notion that it's possible to combine multiple Blade spells if you happen to know more than one, so you could end up with a Blade of Frost and Dawn that is made of flaming ice and makes you tireless and immune to both heat and cold.

I was actually thinking about that, less about the proper magical effects and more the cool factor in it xD
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Kappa » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:01 pm

A sword that can inflict death with a cut doesn't have to be overpowered. In the Dragaera books, there's a whole bunch of swords - practically an industry of them - that not only kill you with a cut but destroy your soul as well, and they are scary but not 'gamebreaking', so to speak. Personally, I'm much more frightened of the Chaos Blade - imagine fighting somebody who is supernaturally lucky and whose sword can pass right through your armour on its way to you.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Kappa wrote:A sword that can inflict death with a cut doesn't have to be overpowered. In the Dragaera books, there's a whole bunch of swords - practically an industry of them - that not only kill you with a cut but destroy your soul as well, and they are scary but not 'gamebreaking', so to speak. Personally, I'm much more frightened of the Chaos Blade - imagine fighting somebody who is supernaturally lucky and whose sword can pass right through your armour on its way to you.

The way it is posted it sounded rather powerful, overall I prefer some sort of "balance", I don't know xP

Supernaturally luck depends on how strong it is, but I guess it is rather... something when combined with pass-through-ness. That ought to cause a common magical counter... also: Chaos-bladed assisted surgery? :D
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Kappa » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Ooh, nice. In that case, I think the Blade spell can either be used to summon a sword, or cast on any sharp object. *updates sheet*
Kappa

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Manifestation idea:

"Bolt", it is a beam of sorts made from the element.

In any case, Spring should have the power to create a actual spring of pure water, that could be used to pour gently or pressured (for farming, firefighting and rebelion crushing)
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Alphabeta » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 pm

Kappa wrote:A sword that can inflict death with a cut doesn't have to be overpowered. In the Dragaera books, there's a whole bunch of swords - practically an industry of them - that not only kill you with a cut but destroy your soul as well, and they are scary but not 'gamebreaking', so to speak.

Don't those break on contact with a stiff breeze, or am I thinking of something else?
Alphabeta

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Tamien » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 pm

I re-suggest Shroud and Book manifestations!

Also I liked the Companion manifestation earlier suggested, but if the Spirit manifestation is going to be kept (which I don't know if it will) maybe it'd be better to have Companion be, like, Steed?
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:04 am

Tamien wrote:I re-suggest Shroud and Book manifestations!

Also I liked the Companion manifestation earlier suggested, but if the Spirit manifestation is going to be kept (which I don't know if it will) maybe it'd be better to have Companion be, like, Steed?

I like Shroud, I think "book" isnt the best term but the concept is good.

I made "companion" is to be ambiguous because they arent always use as steeds. Depending on the element they could be messenger animals or helpers.

In the source material, Spirit manifestations are varied one is a mental attack, other is a specific healing, a third lifts objects with wind, etc.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Kappa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 am

Alphabeta wrote:
Kappa wrote:A sword that can inflict death with a cut doesn't have to be overpowered. In the Dragaera books, there's a whole bunch of swords - practically an industry of them - that not only kill you with a cut but destroy your soul as well, and they are scary but not 'gamebreaking', so to speak.

Don't those break on contact with a stiff breeze, or am I thinking of something else?

You are thinking of something else, and I have no idea what.

I'm not sure what I think of Shroud. I'm trying to lean away from... idk what to call it... "gamey" spells? I want spells that would be the sort of thing people would regularly use for purposes other than Adventuring, and "engulf thing in fire" "engulf thing in shadow" seem like they are mostly useful for Adventuring. I might fold Shroud and Bolt into my "Burst" idea, which is sort of "direct manifestation of an elemental aspect"... burst of water, burst of heat, burst of cold, burst of lifeforce, burst of light, burst of darkness, burst of air. I'm imagining it's probably possible to do more than one kind of burst per element.

edit: I did it! And I snuck the Word of Repair in as one of Iron's Bursts. :D
Kappa

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:53 am

Dunno, I think that a burst/bolt/shroud doesnt have to be a "gamey" spell or that something cant be both. A burst of cold obviously has offensive applications, but could also be used to freeze food, or to solidify inconvenient water. A controlled burst of heat could be used to melt metal or glass, or maybe even cooking.

Offensive powers dont need to be "adventuring", relative mundane jobs requires offensive force or "debufs". Cops and Soldiers could benefit from offensive magic, heck, it might even be more humane than using guns or swords.

Anyway. I was thinking that there could be a "healing" gift for Autumn that works by sharing lifeforce between a group of people, it can be used to make a illness weaker and easier to survive.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

PreviousNext

Return to Creations