Aestrix Ramblings and Q & A

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Aestrix Q & A

Postby Shoal » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:16 pm

You don't have to speak the languages I referenced in my post to pull it off, I don't think. It's enough to know that ABCDEFGetc isn't the only possible arrangement of letters and that many languages either have the sounds in a different order (you can pick one at random) or have additional letters they add to the end.

arrangements that I know about:

Swedish: order is like english, but they have some extra letters ÅÄÖ that go after Z
Croatian: order is like english, but there are some extra letters in the middle: A B C Ć Č D Đ etc all the way to T U V Z Ž

Russian: order is similar in some ways, as though (read: this is what happened) it and the english alphabet both branched off from an earlier alphabet (in several steps), but many other letters are in a different order and there are extra ones too, order goes: A B V G ending with "ya"
Serbian cyrillic: order is very similar to russian, but some of the letters are different, and it ends with sh
Georgian alphabet: order similarish to russian in some ways but similar to english too, ends with "h"
Greek alphabet starts alpha beta (which pronounced more like a v than a b) gamma (which pronounced more like english y than anything else) d (pronounced a lot like th in this), and ends with omega (a long o sound)

Order is something else entirely:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... _syllabics (used for a variety of aboriginal languages), where each "letter" is a consonant and a vowel together. the shape of the letter is usually the consonant and the orientation is the vowel.

But really, you could just declare any letter you want to be the last letter of the alphabet in Marlatian or whatever language. If it's not earth and the language isn't indoeuropean and wasn't influenced by latin and latin alphabet order or greek alphabet order and phoenecian alphabet order, there's no reason it should go ABC. They could have ordered it I V S L A S R K M E ....Z O R Q N.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Aestrix » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:43 pm

True. I will be sure to call that to attention if a Zev brings up the nickname, certainly. Thank you very much for your help! :D
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Lambda » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:10 pm

(Moved to here. Warning, spoilerland thread.)

If a summoner tries to summon a particular individual daeva, and that daeva chooses not to answer the summons, is the result on the summoner's end obviously different from if the circle were completely invalid?

How close to horizontal does the circle need to be in order to work? How close to perfectly circular? Do conlangs work for specifying stuff?

If you draw a circle on a vertical surface and then rotate the surface to be horizontal, does the circle activate? Is the summoner the person who finished drawing the vertical circle, or the person who rotated the surface to horizontal?
Last edited by Lambda on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Why is this question here instead of in the Daevinity worldbuilding thread? The setting was jointly developed.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Lambda » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Because I was paying insufficient attention.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

*Makes giant puppy eyes*

Can we have Darren and Rae playing D&D and that Pantheon game together?

(I know this is a request, not a question)
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Aestrix » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 pm

It is entirely possible that Darren will get to play D&D with other people. <3
Aestrix

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Aestrix wrote:It is entirely possible that Darren will get to play D&D with other people. <3

Also, we probably should create the pantheon game... for science.

Yes, science >_>

---

Also, have Adarin, Edarial and other template instances considered creating hogwarts? It might not add much in terms of actually spreading knowledge, but maybe they could use to teach better ethics to the magical students?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Aestrix » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Prime has technically already made Hogwarts. Except it's not just for mages, it's specifically for mage and non-mage integration to break down the societal issues his culture had. Classes on magic were offered, and people without magic could sit in and listen if they were curious about it, even if they couldn't actually do anything with it. Which, that sounds like a terrible thing to have, except when you get excited non-mages with a head that's fantastic for grasping magic tutoring and helping the mages out with their homework.

The others either have magic that's harder to teach because it's not easily transferable (Quilt, Conduit) or there are already systems in place that are doing an all right job (Revival, Rain). Cypress has plans to do the teaching thing, but there aren't any mages on the colony yet and he has quit the stage on his Kystle.

If you want to create the pantheon game, feel free! I'd play it. <3
Aestrix

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 pm

I have thought about the Pantheon game a little. If someone else wants to bounce ideas off with me about designing it, I would be very down (I'm a board game designer in m spare time; I have several active prototypes and would not at all mind adding another).
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Creations