Threefold (help I accidentally a setting)

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Threefold (help I accidentally a setting)

Postby Kappa » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

So, for reasons, my brain was thinking this morning about how to produce a not-Solvei (as in, a female Mark running her Miles as a fully realized personality after having been cloned by the local alt of Ges Vorrutyer) with an unrealized potential for ultimate cosmic power. And I came up with... this thing.

There are three base elements in this magic system. They are Joker, Sherlock, and Miles - *ahem* I mean, they are Earth, Air, and Light.

The focus of Earth is the self. All Earth mages get geokinesis; individual mages will find themselves with particular talents drawn from the rest of the Earth repertoire, which encompasses such things as shapeshifting, various other ways to enhance or alter oneself, and nifty things to do with rocks. Earth mages become more powerful through self-knowledge, self-mastery, and self-determination; they become less powerful when they give in to coercion, behave in ways they find unnatural/dissonant, or misunderstand themselves.

The focus of Air is the world. All Air mages get aerokinesis; individual mages will find themselves with particular talents drawn from the rest of the Air repertoire, which encompasses such things as enchantment of objects, enhancement of one's senses (particularly hearing and smell, but also sight), various ways to find things or to find things out, and flight. Air mages become more powerful when they pay attention to their senses and the world around them, and become less powerful when they ignore the world. Note that "the world" can be fairly abstract - some Air mages might immerse themselves in the world by taking a lot of long walks outside, some might do it by taking a lot of physics classes. It works either way.

The focus of Light is other people. All Light mages get the ability to create and manipulate light; individual mages will find themselves with particular talents drawn from the rest of the Light repertoire, which encompasses such things as healing, clairvoyance/farsight (*not* precognition), various ways to enhance or alter other people, and - originally I was thinking line-of-sight teleportation, but now I'm reconsidering that. Light mages become more powerful by forming and maintaining deep, meaningful, lasting personal relationships, and become less powerful when they withdraw from society or betray/reject their friends/etc.

Then there are combination elements!

Earth and Light make Wood (better name pending maybe?). This element is about living things in general. All Wood mages get biokinesis; they may have other talents drawn from the Earth pool, the Light pool, or the Wood pool, which... I will invent... at some point...

Air and Earth make Water. All Water mages get hydrokinesis; they may have other talents drawn from the Air pool, the Earth pool, or the Water pool. I think some of Water's available talents might have something to do with memory/archival, but I'm not sure.

Light and Air make Fire. All Fire mages get pyrokinesis; they may have other talents drawn from the Light pool, the Air pool, or the Fire pool. I got nothin for the Fire pool.

All three base elements together make ~ultimate cosmic power~. You get all the elemental powers, and fistfuls of talents from every elemental pool, and assorted other bullshit like resurrection.

Combination mages gain and lose power by both (or all three) means associated with the relevant base elements. You can choose what to focus on for power gain, but that doesn't make your power loss conditions go away. A Water mage who focuses exclusively on gaining power through understanding the world around them will still experience setbacks if they act against their own nature.

Combination mages are also more powerful than base mages to start with: all else being equal, a Fire mage's healing will be more than twice as powerful as a Light mage's healing, and a god's healing will be more than ten times as powerful. These numbers are 100% pulled out of my ass and do not represent exact multipliers, just a sort of vague order-of-magnitude feel.

Mages are rare. If you have mage potential, you'll get whichever of the first three elements best suits your personality; if you're a very unusual person (very closely balanced between two base elements, or multiple personalities with different specializations), you might end up with one of the three combination elements. There's a substantial difference between balanced-type and multiple-type combination mages: a Water mage who's just a person who happens to be both strongly Earth and strongly Air will only have hydrokinesis and not geokinesis or aerokinesis, but a person with an Earth personality and an Air personality will be an Earth mage as the one personality, an Air mage as the other, and Water when acting jointly.

Ultimate-cosmic-power mages are pretty much not a naturally occurring thing, but sometimes three mages will merge themselves into a single being - it takes three, you need Earth and Air and Light all together, you can't just use Water and Light or Earth and Fire, I'm divided on whether it works if you have Wood and Fire and Water - and become something akin to a god. This has happened a few times in history and it has always turned out very memorably. The most recent time there were gods, they got in a fight and devastated a continent in the process of killing each other. Some of the previous ones killed themselves eventually, accidentally or on purpose; gods, being made from the magical merging of three previously-separate people, are not always very stable. You can get along really really well with somebody and still not be prepared to share a brain with them for the rest of your life.

So a JokerSherlock is Water, obviously, and a Miles is Light, and to begin with the JS doesn't even know they're a Water mage because they never front, and then they do, and they discover that in certain moods they can use geokinesis or aerokinesis, and they realize that if they were to somehow split into two personalities, the two of them plus Miles would make a god...
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Re: ??? (help I accidentally a setting)

Postby pedromvilar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Kappa wrote:The focus of Earth is the self. All Earth mages get geokinesis; individual mages will find themselves with particular talents drawn from the rest of the Earth repertoire, which encompasses such things as shapeshifting, various other ways to enhance or alter oneself, and nifty things to do with rocks. Earth mages become more powerful through self-knowledge, self-mastery, and self-determination; they become less powerful when they give in to coercion, behave in ways they find unnatural/dissonant, or

Sentence got cut off?

Anyway this looks interesting! I await more details with trepidation.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Kappa » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Yeah I forgot I'd stalled out in the middle of trying to end that sentence. Fixed that and added a couple more paragraphs.

~Ask me things about this setting~

~But don't ask me what it's called or what the names of any people or geographic features are because I am at the library and can't access my language generator right now~

XD
Kappa

Postby Adelene » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Dusk asserts that she exists under this system and is a Water mage, but she doesn't know it until she gets out on her own; the Earth drawback kicks her butt pretty thoroughly in the context she's in before that. (She's not very powerful even afterwards; maybe top 50% powerwise but definitely not top 25%, and I don't have enough of a feel for the system to know whether she's even in the upper half.)

My question is, what does being a mage but having a drawback thoroughly kicking your butt look like in practice - is it actually plausible that she wouldn't know? Would there be accidental magic she'd have to be writing off or something? How does someone become a mage, anyway? - and also what the process of figuring out that she is one and getting her powers in working order would look like.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Ezra » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Does an Aaron get magic here, or do they end up the Sokka of the group?

I'm imagining Maggie's characters here - are magnetism and telepathy in conveniently appropriate places, or do they end up with different powers from that?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:03 pm

You're born with mage potential more or less at random. There might be a tendency for it to pop up more often in the family members of previous mages, but it's not carried on any specific genes, although there might be a thing where genetically identical people always have the same mage/nonmage status. The potential expresses itself at some point when you're between about ten and twenty years old, although there may be outliers in both directions. After your potential expresses, you Are A Mage, and you can do magic.

No matter how hard your drawback is kicking your butt, you still have the baseline ability of whatever kind of mage you are. In Dusk's case, hydrokinesis. She'd be able to sense and manipulate nearby water - maybe not any farther away than a few feet, but definitely at least that much. It's pretty unmistakable but if she was generally out of it and not conceiving of the idea that she might be a mage at all, she might be able to write it off or ignore it.

If the drawbacks were really thoroughly kicking her butt, she might not get any further magical talents until she got out of that initial context. But once she was better-placed to develop her powers, she'd start being able to do other stuff - whatever Earth, Air, and Water things happen to suit her particularly well; you generally end up with the subset of your available pool(s) that are best suited to you personally. I'm not sure what the figuring-out would look like exactly because I'm not sure how someone manages to avoid noticing they're hydrokinetic in the first place.

Not sure about Maggie's characters, will discuss with her.
Kappa

Postby Alicorn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:10 pm

I was aligning my characters. Most of them are not that interesting, although ask if you want a specific one. Highlights pasted below:

bells: "IN CASE YOU WERE NOT AWARE, IN THIS SYSTEM WE ARE HELLA EARTH MAGES" me: "yes I know" bells: "MAYBE UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS WATER" me: "yep" bells: "AND LIGHT GETS TELEPORTATION AND THAT'S SUCH A RIPOFF"

chelseas: "in case it was not painfully obv-" me: "it was painfully obvious"

Alicorn: alice is air edward is light didyme and jasper are light elspeth is… possibly a naturally occurring deity…
Pyth (Kappabeta): ...<33333
Alicorn: like I can't figure out how to lean elspeth in one or two of these ways
Pyth (Kappabeta): Tell me more about Elspeth the Naturally Occurring Deity! :D
Alicorn: her thing is sincerely reporting facts about things to others!
Pyth (Kappabeta): ...that's true!
Alicorn: you can't do that without all of these bits!
Pyth (Kappabeta): <33333333
Pyth (Kappabeta): I feel like out of the three things, Air is probably the least necessary one to her deal? But yeah, she has a pretty good case for Naturally Occurring Deity going there
Alicorn: she isn't gonna sit around contemplating truth and not talk to anyone! she isn't gonna go around spouting purely subjective impressions disconnected from evidence in the universe and its quality! she isn't gonna omit facts-about-herself from what she is up to!
Pyth (Kappabeta): <33333
Alicorn: elspeth: naturally occurring deity.
Pyth (Kappabeta): elspeth: naturally occurring deity
Pyth (Kappabeta): :D
Pyth (Kappabeta): jinx
Alicorn: :D

Alicorn: griffins are… maybe fire?
Alicorn: griffins' thing are "is a paladin or possibly a frustrated paladin"
Pyth (Kappabeta): <333333
Alicorn: they work well in communal/hierarchical setups that are sufficiently paladiny and they buy way into objective morality
Alicorn: and they have a flight attractor
Alicorn: so maybe fire
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Adelene » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:19 pm

For maximum Dusk-compatability the setting would have ableism to the tune of 'low functioning auties are never mages' (probably as an offshoot of the 'low functioning auties don't meaningfully have minds' thing that exists in real life, that plus the details of how the system works seems like it could very straightforwardly lead to that assumption). That plus sensory weirdness and the gaslighting that comes with it could definitely lead to her writing off a magic sense as not really existing - possibly it gets her misdiagnosed as schizophrenic, even.

This does suggest that she works it out before she leaves, though. I think she goes through a phase of genuinely not getting it, and then eventually actually tries the hydrokinesis, and that's part of what spurs her to go. (This'll be a more Rescuelike Dusk, obviously.)
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Kappa » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:07 pm

I'm not sure "diagnosed as schizophrenic" is a thing that the setting does; I haven't decided what its general tech level/societal framework type stuff is yet. That sounds like a plausible attitude to have pop up in at least some places, though.

Someone please help me come up with a nice tidy way to arrange these elements into a cute geometric shape/diagram that doesn't end up being the Triforce, because I have tried, and I end up with the Triforce.
Kappa

Postby Marri » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Is the answer not a Venn diagram? This seems like it is friendly to Venn diagrams.
Marri

Next

Return to Creations