Bindings Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Bindings Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Tue May 27, 2014 6:03 pm

There's certainly no end to possible spells that would theoretically work but that no binder can cram into their head all at once.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Tue May 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Oh, go and increase my temptation to write a binder!Sherlock, why don't you :P
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Aestrix » Tue May 27, 2014 8:32 pm

If you do, and you make the Sherlock male, he can go running off with Zevros. Just saying.
Aestrix

Postby Kappa » Wed May 28, 2014 4:41 am

:D

edit: Possible modularization/wanding technique - Use a hex to create a 'spell receptacle' object; define at this time who can put spells into the object and who can use them once they are put. Then cast 'supply this object with X copies of <spell>', which takes X times the charging time of <spell> to cast (possibly plus a little bit of overhead), and may or may not be another hex depending how that definition works. Now you can cast <spell> X times from the object, choosing targets and so on each time as though you were casting the spell fresh, but without charge time or giveaways like eyeglow. Naturally self-limiting, since you can only encapsulate as many copies of a spell as you're willing and able to put the time in to charge, and you can only do spell bundles in single blocks - no putting in one and then taking a break and putting in another; the receptacle can only be supplied when empty.

Thoughts? Does that seem like it would work, without being obvious/convenient enough that someone would necessarily have invented it already?
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 am

Maybe.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 28, 2014 11:22 am

Does spellbinding have any relationship with materials? Vulnerable to Iron? Reflected by mirrors?

Maybe the "spell receptacle" object is so complicated that it requires multiple Hexes, each creating a "part" of the total item? Another similar factor, If you give a single spell slot to the receptacle, it will give one copy that will last only for a day no matter what, but if you cast another hex, it gives six copies that last "forever"? Less extreme is spending two spell slots, one to cast the spell-copy and another that preserves it.

I wouldn't take away the second charging time, for when the item is used, but it wouldn't ruin the balance completely (it could be something that varies depending on the item). It is possible that while the receptacle doesn't spend spell slots, it could require the user to have at least one so they can charge the item.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 pm

No relationship to materials like that, no.

Multi-hex objects has lots of potential.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Just to be clear, I started reading SOIAF again because I don't want spoilers from tv, so I haven't read the relevant threads.

That said how common physical familiars are?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 28, 2014 2:42 pm

...what does Song of Ice and Fire have to do with anything? Harry Lloyd is the facecast for Adarins, that's all - it's not a Viserys Targaryen alt.

We don't have a clear idea of how many people bind their familiars but it seems like most don't.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Alicorn wrote:...what does Song of Ice and Fire have to do with anything? Harry Lloyd is the facecast for Adarins, that's all - it's not a Viserys Targaryen alt.

I meant that I am trying to read only Song of Ice and Fire, because I want to finish them soon and avoid spoilers, because the show doesn't follow the book narrative that nearly and aparently books four and five happen at same time. I already got a minor spoiler from this season, hopefully I will manage to avoid the big ones.

I will probably still read main effulgence, but not start with the other RPs. Oddly, Adarin in the summoning circle is the only chalk thread that I haven't read at all. I didn't recognize him.

Alicorn wrote:We don't have a clear idea of how many people bind their familiars but it seems like most don't.

Okay, I am mostly asking to know how likely someone could have invented the Multi-hex itens, shared the ideas and found people to help the project.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!