Short Stories Mafia Game Thread

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Short Stories Mafia Game Thread

Postby pistachi0n » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:44 pm

I think at this point, it's time for actual discussion. But at the beginning of the game, some fluff is nice to break the ice. If someone starts posting fluff now, I'll be suspicious. If someone posts fluff after people have died, I'll be even more suspicious.
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

Postby Shoal » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:49 pm

that makes sense.

Have a full reads list:

town: modrony, pistachi0n, yadal
maaaaaybe town?: BSS, daniel, tamien
null/lurksack: epsilon, eva, hybridzizi, mtc, paradox, pdv, wolffreak
scum: jalapeno

Jalapeno’s push on Daniel was really bizarre.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Yadal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:37 am

Why are we saying so much of what would make us suspicious out loud? We know for a fact that the scum players now know not to do certain things. I'm not sure about Shoal's comment to DanielH to start interrogating people (why tell a potential scum that something might make him less suspicious? A Scum can fake interrogating people), but if he were Mafia he wouldn't gain from it so it's not evidence. Not sure about pistachi0n.

Jalapeno does seem suspicious, but I should ask this: How's jalapeno's previous intelligence level in these games been? He could be just dumb, or the kind to make a dumb move in Mafia games, for all I know. I remember him as a competent NESer, but that was years ago.
Changed my mind on trying to fit in. Apparently I give an inch and you people try to take a mile.
Yadal

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Shoal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:52 am

When I assign homework, I have something in mind for what it’ll mean if the person does the homework one way, what it means if they do it another way, what it means if they ignore me and don’t do it at all. I want to see Daniel (and the rest of you) try to scumhunt. I will look at what kinds of things people push people based on, how they respond to other people’s pushes, etc. It’s not a simple pass/fail.

I’m trying to hold the specifics back until people actually slip. But if something suspicious has already happened, it’s important to say what it is and why.

Jalapeno is smart, and mathy, though he tends to take a probability theory approach to the game which is sometimes to his detriment, and I used it against him in 4p LYLO last time. When we were scum together before, whenever someone had an idea in public that would play into our hands we were all over signal boosting the idea as protown, and we parked our votes on people who were resisting the bad ideas. If you have time/are bored, you could glance over the previous game, it’s kind of sprawled out in this subforum and all of our mafia threads are out here too so you can see how we were strategising in private, what we were trying to achieve, how we were working together.
Shoal

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:28 am

*starts posting fluff*

Shoal, what do you think "actual content that progresses the game" constitutes on Day 1? So far you've rejected both listposts and jokes, which makes me think you don't mean either meta speculation or banter.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Shoal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:46 am

If by meta speculation you mean “hmmmm, ____ is acting different from last time when they were town”, I think that’s productive. Or “_____ is not acting like they were when they were scum, this time they’re being more _____”. If you mean something else then please define it. Strategy and basic how to play type stuff is okay, but not as good as alignment indicative stuff.

Actual content that progresses the game: I think yadal is town. why do you think that, shoal? I think it because i liked his entrance. oh, okay. What do you think of the people who have been posting to say that they’re here without posting anything more than that? well, i dunno, it’s not a great sign but maybe they’ll improve.

Jokes are fine, but we’re going ot need to reread day 1 a buncho f times once we know the alignments of some people who have died and there’s a signal to noise problem. put jokes in the middle of more substantial posts. it is possible to banter productively.

What do you think of your fellow players so far, jalapeno? Do you have any opinions yet on how people are behaving? Take a stance on something.
Shoal

Postby Yadal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:10 am

That sounds like a fairly convincing argument. Assuming Shoal isn't scum (and I've got to figure out something not on the thread to test for that possibility), then jalapeno_dude is looking quite suspicious. It might be a moment of stupidity, but pending new evidence I'll say jalapeno_dude.

EDIT: Added to make it clearer.

Vote: Jalapeno_dude.
Last edited by Yadal on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Changed my mind on trying to fit in. Apparently I give an inch and you people try to take a mile.
Yadal

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Shoal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 am

sweet.

Votes go on their own line to make it easier for the moderator to see, like this:

Vote: Jalapeno_dude
Shoal

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:23 am

Shoal wrote:What do you think of your fellow players so far, jalapeno? Do you have any opinions yet on how people are behaving? Take a stance on something.

Don't really like your tone here, and I'm definitely posting after midnight, but I think I qualify sufficiently as having a weird sleep schedule such that it's okay.

I've already "taken a stance" on DanielH, as you certainly know (which makes your calling me out even weirder). I continue to believe, for the reasons that I first stated, that DanielH is acting more scummy than baseline. I feel the same way towards you but it's probably the combination of residual (correct!) suspicion from last game and the fact that you accused me. Not sure how I feel about you once I correct for these two factors. (I do note that "walls of text" is a common factor in my suspicion of both of you, which is pretty hypocritical since I'm doing the same thing right now but I think justified.)

I find your reason for townreading Yadal pretty terrible. My priors for Yadal being scum before his post were the same as my priors for any individual person (who isn't me) being scum, i.e. <expected number of scum>/(15-1). (There were 4/20 scum (counting Chelsea) the 1st game and 5/19 (not counting Aestrix) the second game, so I'm anticipating 3 or 4 scum this game--so call it ~25%.) If anything Yadal's first post makes me update *very slightly* towards Yadal being scum (it rules out "clueless newbie", which is really a Town-only playstyle).

It looks like pistachi0n has mostly just responded to other people's posts, which is a viable playstyle for both town and scum. "If you answering this question would give scum ideas that they might not have considered, I'm willing to stay curious until the end." does seem like something a scum player would be more likely to say than a town player (scum would always be thinking about perceptions, whereas town players might not always do so).

Like you, I find Tamien's post a little scummy because grabbing the countdowns is an easy way to post content-free posts that make her seem like less of a lurker even if she's lurking. I will try to make a deliberate effort to exclude these posts from consideration (they "shouldn't count" when determining how active I think Tamien is being).

I note that neither Paradox nor wolffreak have posted yet. Both of them have their Last Visited fields in their profile blank, so I can't tell if either has logged in since the game started. I will vote Paradox for now to encourage a delurk, and will switch to wolffreak after that happens.

EDIT: Wow, I fixed like a million typos in this post. Maybe DanielH was right about not posting after midnight.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Shoal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:56 am

Thank you.

I’m still happy with where my vote is but I’m glad you’re providing reads and sharing your opinions. It’s true that you took a stance on Daniel, but your stance on him seemed to be that discouaging fluff posting was antitown, which is unfortunate.

I think we both do have the problem that neither of us have seen each other’s town game before. Pistachi0n is in this same position, but we did have one game together over on mafiascum so we have a little more of a baseline for each other. The players who were scum in one game and town in the other will be a little easier for people to read. But for the three of us it can be hard to differentiate playstyle/personality from alignment because we’ve only been seen as one alignment before. (This is also sort of true for the people who were always town before too.) So that is something to keep in mind but it’s good practice to look for motivations behind posts, or to compare people’s approaches with last time.

Wallposting is my style, yeah. I can do one liners if we’re chatting in real time but if I have a lot of thoughts they come out in wall format.

I will admit to having a softspot for newbies and being slightly more likely to townread them than baseline. I’m working on it.

Link to your posts in order: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=391&sk=a&start=20

your entrance: youtube video (i saw you do that as scum too but i’ve never seen you do anything as town yet so it’s hard to know) and alphabetisation.
You defend pistachi0n and epsilonbeta as just being silly and become suspicious of Daniel for discouraging fluff posting and set up a false dichotomy between fluff posting and lurking.
fluff
fluff
jumping on the fairies thing to speculate about mechanics when perhaps if there are fairies it would be better not to give the mafia ideas about how they might work, unless you’re suggesting that the fairies are the mafia, which would make Daniel a lot ballsier than we were last time (you remember that we never ever speculated about Rynggarrarav in public).

and then you start replying to me.

Your stance on Daniel was about mafia theory. You have now taken more of a stance on him. You disagree with my townlean on Yadal, which is another stance.

I agree that scum is usually about 25% so 3-4 scum sounds reasonable.

Responding to other people’s posts is how this game works. But what do you think about her responses? Is she misrepping people or trying to understand where they are coming from?

You agree with my Tamien stance.

And now you’re voteparking on Paradox. I also would like for Paradox and wolffreak to delurk but I am remembering all of the voteparking we did last game. You find Daniel, Yadal, and Tamien to be a bit scummy, but you’re not voting for any of them.
Shoal

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games