A Glowficcer's Guide to Dreamwidth

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

A Glowficcer's Guide to Dreamwidth

Postby Kappa » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:54 am

This is a glowficcer's guide to Dreamwidth. It is now somewhat out of date, as glowfic has pretty much entirely moved to the Glowfic Constellation.

~*~RESOURCES~*~

Utilities

Icons

The Glowfic Community

~*~TIPS~*~

Usernames
  • it must be between 2 and 25 characters (inclusive)
  • it must use only alphanumeric characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9) and underscores
  • it can't start or end with an underscore, or have two consecutive underscores
  • We can help you pick one

Account Creation
  • Go to the account creation page
  • Enter your desired username & info; if the username is taken, it will complain right away
  • Be sure to activate your email address or you can't post comments
  • By default it shows the account's given birthday on its profile; you can edit your profile to change that, fill in the name field, etc.
  • If you expect to have a lot of journals, it might be worth creating a collection community and joining it with all your character journals to keep track of them; use the community creation page to do so after you have your first journal, then join the community with each new journal as you make it

Icons
  • The edit icons page
  • If you use the (default) icon option when posting a comment, and later change your default icon, all those comments will update to the new default
  • Commas in the keyword field separate keywords: only use them if you mean to do that
  • If you sort an icon page by keyword it will list every keyword singly even when this means showing the same icon twice
  • I and many other glowficcers prefer to sort my icons with one keyword each, prefaced by a number or letter, in order from happiest to least happy; this makes choosing one to go with a comment especially convenient
  • It may also be worthwhile to pore over the icon resources and do a first-pass collection of icons before you begin uploading them to an account; I call this "herding icons" and I do it for all my characters
  • The confusingly named "Rename Keywords" tickybox in the edit icons page that appears when you edit an icon's keywords field? That is for when you want to change a keyword without erasing all previous uses of the icon
  • If you change a keyword without ticking the box, anywhere you have used that keyword will revert to (default); if you do tick the box, uses of the previous keyword(s) will be updated to the new one(s) - I don't have extensive experience with how this applies to icons with multiple keywords, because I never ever use those
  • If, on the other hand, you want to update all previous uses of an icon to a new icon, what you do is save the exact keyword of the old icon, delete it, upload the new one, and give the new one the exact same keyword
  • To credit an icon creator on insanejournal, use <user name="USERNAME" site="insanejournal.com"> in the icon's comment field

Misc
  • You can change your notification settings to reflect whether or not you want to receive an email every time someone replies to one of your posts or comments. This is per journal, and the default is to be notified, so make it a part of your account creation steps if you have strong feelings about it.
  • You can "track" a specific entry, journal, or community, and receive an email whenever someone posts a comment/entry there. There is a limit of 25 active notifications per account, but if you have multiple accounts (which I do) and clear out old items whenever you hit the limit (which I also do), it's very possible to be tracking all of the active glowfic at any given time.
  • It's possible to edit comments, but only if they have no replies. This sometimes leads to deleting a comment so its parent can be edited, then reposting the comment. If you repost a deleted comment in the exact same place it was deleted from, without changing the icon or any of the text, the repost won't show up. Adding a space to the end of a line or changing the icon is enough to circumvent this problem.
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Re: A Glowficcer's Guide to Dreamwidth

Postby Anya » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 am

I appreciate this a lot. :)
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:47 am

This is great

question: It is possible to turn an normal account into a community or move posts to a community?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Kappa » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:51 am

No, and as far as I'm aware no.
Kappa

Postby Kappa » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 am

Post updated with links to LJlogin and LJ Juggler.
Kappa

Postby Kappa » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:17 am

Added a note about That Thing DW Does with reposting deleted comments.
Kappa

Postby Unbitwise » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:12 pm

I got an idea. When a character appears in a thread somewhere else, make a link entry in the character's journal. Mostly an alternative to keeping an index entry, I suppose.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:19 pm

That's a neat idea. Also, how'd I manage to leave the glowfic community out of the OP? *edits*
Kappa

Postby Ezra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:02 pm

This was about to fall off the first page, can it have a pin please?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 pm

Do people use it that much? I'd like to be very conservative with pins.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Next

Return to Miscellanea