Music Recommendations for Alicornfics

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Music Recommendations for Alicornfics

Postby Feverus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Sort of like asking whether you prefer a nice red or white with your dinner, but here it's Lady Gaga or Pantera.

Does your favorite genre fit well with any of the fics? Is there any band in particular you would recommend pairing with a story? Did you leave your collection on shuffle, a particular station, or turn the tunes off entirely?
Feverus

Pronouns: he

Re: Music Recommendations for Alicornfics

Postby Tatterdemalion » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:18 am

I don't normally read fic with music on, but I've found that VNV Nation goes well with Luminosity and a lot of Effulgence threads.
Tatterdemalion

Pronouns: they/their

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:30 am

I listen to Alice Cooper almost every minute of every day, including while threading Effulgence. It frequently makes surprisingly good theme music. Also excellent icon keywords.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alphabeta » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:51 pm

I mostly put on music that has previously made me feel similar things to what I expect the thing I'm reading will make me feel. I will not share specifics, because I am shy. :P
Alphabeta

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:02 pm

I don't tend to listen to anything in particular but some characters have theme songs.

Leekath's is "Addicted" (Kelly Clarkson). Well, sort of the Leekath/Talyn ship theme song is "Addicted".
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Rubices » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 pm

I didn't realize their relationship was so unfortunate! Maybe it got overshadowed in my head by Ilen/Hallai? Or is their theme song just a clever pun on "leech"?
Rubices

Pronouns: She

Postby Aestrix » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:08 pm

I don't know about you, but Talyn and Leekath's relationship didn't seem very healthy, honestly. Leekath was literally addicted to Talyn's blood - and he didn't warn her before he gave her a taste of it. While surprises are nice and all- he didn't seem all that sad at the idea of her being addicted to his blood. He was clingy and possessive when she drank anyone else's, even when it extended her lifespan, and wanted to keep her drinking his. I don't know about you, but that doesn't scream 'healthy relationship' to me. Maybe it is in other aspects, but not that one.

On topic, I think Ehail would fit well with a pure instrumental theme. Something quiet, understated, with strings.
Aestrix

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 pm

I recommend alt-J to everyone. It's very instrumental-y.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBDDD493966C63902
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 pm

The song is appropriate in other ways - a close reading of the lyrics turns up a couple things that make it weird that the song was not written deliberately by someone who wanted to play up the pairing's darkness. Leekath/Talyn isn't as characterized by abuse as Ilen/Hallai - it's much more a connection between equals, for one thing; they're both pushing and pulling - but it's got its dark streak.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Tamien » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Generally I'm not one to listen to music while reading, but when reading about Harley in Effulgence, Conjure One's Center of the Sun popped into my head as particularly fitting. At least, this lyric sequence: "when I close my eyes/ I am at the center of the sun/ and I cannot be hurt/ by anything this wicked world has done". I considered drawing a little song comic about it or something but then I realized that I have no idea how to effectively depict Harley as he was at that time :P
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Next

Return to Miscellanea