Effulgence Fandom Questions

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Effulgence Fandom Questions

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 am

Yenzen wrote:Can this thread be a place for asking general questions?

I know this question has been asked and answered before, and I have searched but did not find it: Who is the woman who first recognizes Shell Bell as 'Her Majesty' in Milliways? And to which world does she belong?

No problem with me

I want to know that question too, maybe it is Aurum?

Kappa wrote:Someone who has minted coins passes on a kind of magical 'tag' to their children, which those children then pass on to any children they have, and so on. The more coins someone has minted when they have the kid, the stronger their 'tag'. Weak 'tags' carry a low chance of the tagged person growing up into an ingot. Jokers are absurdly productive mints, so their kids have extremely strong 'tags' and turn out ingots pretty much invariably.

So minting is the original magic? that makes the term ingot less logical. Are non-minting "tags" possible?

How hereditary is that "tag"? Does Aedyt kids have more change of ingotness than Kerron? Does it affect otherworld magic?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Kappa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 am

I don't think we've decided exactly how tag heredity works, except that it's not genetic and doesn't ever fade out completely - nearly everyone in Eos at this point has a tiny tiny smudge of tag on them, which is why ingotry sometimes just shows up in people who don't even know they have a mint ancestor or for that matter know what mints are.

Ingot tags don't interact with otherworld magic at all, except that if someone is born with both an ingot and a witch power (or an ingot power and a Gift, or all three), they will tend to get powers that work together pretty seamlessly as a unit rather than getting a handful of totally unrelated things.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 am

Amariah would have considered separating if not a witch, but she would have waited till she was older, it would have depended on what Path settled as in this counterfactual, and it might have taken her more than one try.

Forcing separation on prisoners would today be considered cruel and unusual, but it's the sort of thing that might have happened in the past.

I have not settled on a specific identity or world for the first person to recognize Shell Bell, though we have a short list of people who it could have been from those written so far.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Could a multi-world-magic-haver get a power combination that tastes like (say) a sandwich?

What is the list of the first person to recognize Shell Bell?

I reached the part with Glass and The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, can anyone give me a summary so I am not completely lost but don't have to read 12 wikipedia articles and potentially spoil myself?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Alicorn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:32 pm

There's not even a reason a witch-only couldn't taste like a sandwich.

Sorry, I mis-worded. I mean we have a list of Bells who attained high ranks without pealing first whose subjects could have visited Milliways and spread news of their deeds, not that we have a list of possible identities for the recognizing person.

I'm not sure how you hope to avoid spoiling yourself on EFC, considering we set the Effulgence 'verse of it about a century after canon.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Alicorn wrote:There's not even a reason a witch-only couldn't taste like a sandwich.

Okay, but where there is the fun in that? xD

Alicorn wrote:Sorry, I mis-worded. I mean we have a list of Bells who attained high ranks without pealing first whose subjects could have visited Milliways and spread news of their deeds, not that we have a list of possible identities for the recognizing person.

I thought it was something like that.

Alicorn wrote:I'm not sure how you hope to avoid spoiling yourself on EFC, considering we set the Effulgence 'verse of it about a century after canon.

I didn't know that. I don't know anything about the canon, but it wouldn't be impossible that knowing about it would be spoilers for later on, like what happened with Samaria and the God mess.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby cbhacking » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Having just re-read part 28 (the Thaumobabble threads), there are non-trivial plot spoilers all over the place. I'll avoid pointing them out if you like, but if you've finished Extradimensional Space you've already hit a number of them.

On the plus side, most of the fun of EFC is in the storytelling, not the plot, IMO. The plot is totally there, but it gets silly at places (there's a thing which literally makes it so that the user *cannot lose*, although it is repeatedly pointed out that "death isn't always the same as losing"). The humor and characterization that (IMO) are most of the fun of EFC are not even slightly spoiled; one main advantage of the Effulgence story being set a century after canon is that all the Effulgence main characters are much too young to have been there (and they don't discuss "historical" events in great detail) and the EFC main characters are mostly long-dead.

Most of the major plot points can quickly be figured out with moderate genre-savviness anyhow. It's a lighthearted YA fantasy series. It's the details of how it all happens that's the fun of the story. Contrast with Samaria, where there's actually a major plot twist in the story (note that I've yet to read the canon there; I figured out for myself that the twist had probably been spoiled and now wonder how long it would have taken me to figure out the twist on my own, but my guess is "not very"). The plot twists of EFC are much less "things you figure out for yourself" and much more "things that make you laugh when they happen".
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:14 pm

I am not quite sure how Saturn´s bubbles look like and how they move around.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Previous

Return to Storytime