Book recommendations

Is it a nice day out? Do you like baby goats? Are you overdue on thank-you notes for your Christmas presents? Here you go.

Book recommendations

Postby Anya » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 am

Am looking for a female centric scifi book, needs to contain spaceships. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm reading the Honor Harrington series now.

I figure we could also use this thread for other book recs too.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Book recommendations

Postby BlueSkySprite » Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 am

There's the Ship who Searched by Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey. I'm not sure if you like their books.
There's Podkayne of Mars by Robert Heinlein; It's not about spaceships but it has them.
BlueSkySprite

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 07, 2014 10:15 am

The Alleluia Files by Sharon Shinn. Has the less-female-centric less-spaceshippy Archangel as a prerequisite in theory, but you could probably just read it as a near prequel to Angelaplot in Effulgence and be fine. Shinn also wrote a sci-fi homage to Jane Eyre which has some ships in it called Jenna Starborn.

Zoe's World, John Scalzi - again has less-female-centric preceding books.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Marri » Wed May 07, 2014 5:58 pm

There's probably Star Wars stuff somewhere...? I stopped reading Star Wars when I was pretty young though, so I don't know much more about the books than things like "Junior Jedi Knights" :D

I did not see a response to the Anne McCaffrey thing, but a couple more suggestions in that vein:

Nimisha's Ship is a single, standalone book about a female spaceship designer who winds up exploring, with a side plot about her mother and daughter while she explores.

I liked the Rowan and Damia, first two books in the Tower series, about telekinetic telepaths ("Powers") who are strong enough to be "Tower Primes" aka "the people who teleport spaceships between planets". The three final books about Damia's kids are meh.

Killashandra has spaceships in it (she takes a few of them for travel reasons, getting off planet is a major plot point, etc) but aren't really a focus per se. There's a first and third book in the series but I didn't like them as much and didn't find them to be required reading at all. (which is unusual in second books and made me happy)
Marri

Postby Tamien » Wed May 07, 2014 6:41 pm

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge has spaceships, and Ravna has a pretty significant chunk of the POV, I think, and Johanna may have some as well.

If it doesn't have to be a word-book, Dicebox is a comic that has spaceships and is definitely female-centric.

I will second the Rowan but I don't remember Damia and did not read the rest of the series. The Pegasus prequel series was good but I unfortunately I'm pretty sure the one that's female-centric is not the one that's about spaceships.

I liked the Young Jedi Knights books that I read and as I recall there were some focusing more on the female characters, but I could not speak to the rest of the Star Wars books.
Tamien

Postby Anya » Wed May 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Yay! Thank you, all. I prefer to read about female, or rather non male protagonist. I relate to them more.

Though obv. there are some exceptions. (Harry Potter/Dresden Files/Kingkiller).
Anya

Postby cbhacking » Thu May 08, 2014 12:54 am

Most of Elizabeth Moon's protagonists are female, and she's written some decent space opera. I'd put it below the Harrington series, quality-wise, but I considered it quite readable. Also has interesting stuff on human longevity treatments (near-immortality) and other such good sci-fi topics.

The first book of the Vorkosigan saga (Lois McMaster Bujold) has a female protagonist. Most of the rest of the series focuses on her son, but there's still (always) important female characters and there is at least one other book in the series with a female protagonist, I think? Bujold is good; read her stuff anyhow (IMO). I need to get on with that project myself (so... much... to read...).

I guess some parts of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders series (which is kinda-sorta-technically sci-fi even though most of the characters don't know that for most of series) would qualify too. Lots of female protagonists, but "the parts of the series featuring spaceships" and "the good parts of the series" are largely orthogonal. McCaffrey wrote a lot of other stuff too, but aside from the brain ships (which are indeed worth reading) and maybe Crystal Singer I can't recommend them much.

Nemesis (Isaac Asimov) has a number of POV characters (typical of Asimov) but many of them - many of the most important ones, in fact - are female. On the other hand, the characters who deal the most with spaceships are male. (Sigh...)

There's more I could name in that vein, but I'm kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel there. Lots of SF, especially short stories, have fairly prominent female characters... but "the protagonist" is almost always male, even then. It's annoying. Not enough SF puts women front-and-center. I could give you a bunch of fantasy recommendations, if you'd like, but they don't have spaceships. Maybe Tamora Pierce could be persuaded to write SF?
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby cbhacking » Fri May 09, 2014 10:55 pm

... no other recommendations? Well, that's depressing!

I feel like there must be some Star Trek novels which focus on female characters and are worth reading, but for the life of me I can't think of one. Not that I've read anywhere near an exhaustive list of them, but I read enough I really should have encountered at least one.

When you read as fast as I do (and as often as I do), you end up reading a lot of real dross as well. I expect a lot of this forum is familiar with that. The sad thing is that even given that, there's *still* not much sci-fi centered on women. Booooo.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention 40% of the Animorphs books (the POV character rotated with each book, two of them were girls), though no matter how much I enjoyed them as a kid I suspect they'd wear a bit by now. Also, the spaceships are mostly a thing that only the bad guys have. Also, if you've read the relevant Effulgence thread but somehow hadn't read Animorphs yet then a lot of the first ~6 books have been spoiled for you.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Alicorn » Fri May 09, 2014 11:16 pm

I mostly read fantasy; I'd have a lot more recs for female-centric fantasy stories...
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Anya » Sat May 10, 2014 1:54 am

Fantasy book recs with female POV are very welcome!
Anya

Next

Return to Off Topic