Do You Want To Live In A Baugruppe?

Is it a nice day out? Do you like baby goats? Are you overdue on thank-you notes for your Christmas presents? Here you go.

Do You Want To Live In A Baugruppe?

Postby Alicorn » Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 pm

I am involved in a cohousing project which would wind up looking something sort of like "20 houses on a lot where only people in my subculture live". In like... five years. In the Berkeleyish area. We are looking for people who may want to live there. It is especially useful if you have money of the "mortgage contribution" magnitude but you should express interest even if you just want to go on a list and petition to live there in somebody's attic or whatever. Post if you have interest! Post if you want to vouch that I am a cool person to live with and have good taste in people to live with!
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Do You Want To Live In A Baugruppe?

Postby pedromvilar » Sun May 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Five years is long enough and my career is such that there is a reasonable chance I will be living in that area but it's probably less of a chance than, like, anyone who doesn't need a visa for that, so mark me as tentatively interested?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Kappa » Sun May 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Alicorn is a cool person to live with and has good taste in people to live with! I wish to be a part of this phenomenon!
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby atheistcanuck » Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 pm

This sounds awesome, though I am vaguely disgruntled about the necessity of moving to the US.
atheistcanuck

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Aestrix » Sun May 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Can confirm, Alicorn is a cool person to live with, and has pretty good taste in people to live with!

I would need to know way more specifics about things to go be part of paying a mortgage and living with a bunch of people I don't know (I am very non-crowdsy) but I am positive about this thing in general!
Aestrix

Postby Unbitwise » Mon May 22, 2017 6:43 am

This would be theoretically awesome but I haven't actually met any of Alicorn's people. And my current location is highly optimized along different axes than “awesome people to live with”. But …
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Tulip » Mon May 22, 2017 6:52 am

I'm interested insofar as I can arrange to be living in the right general vicinity in fiveish years.
Tulip

Postby Moriwen » Mon May 22, 2017 7:05 am

I'm in the same boat as several above with "this sounds like The Dream but five years is a long time at this point in my life and IDK where I'll be needing to live and also I should probably like actually meet some people IRL before deciding to go live with them."

(In particular, I'm (hopefully) just about to start grad school, so "five years" is about the right timeframe for me to be finishing that, and then a lot of things are likely to depend on trying-to-get-a-job-in-academia-which-is-always-fun.)

(But, again -- The Dream. So very much so. My brain would really really like to live in a tribal society with extended families please and thank you.)
Moriwen

Postby atheistcanuck » Mon May 22, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah I am currently considering going to school to become a pharmacy tech, which if I manage to succeed at that and holding down a job would improve my money situation, but I have no idea how hard it is for a Canadian to get a work permit (or whatever) in the US, or how the political shenanigans in the US might shake out to make that easier or harder in the next few years.

Five years is a long time.
atheistcanuck

Postby Marri » Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 am

I have no control over my housing situation until my husband is done with his Infinite School, which is in maybe 7-8 years, at which point I am likely to end up in a baugruppe set up by my sister who has been pushing for this albeit not with this exact word for years (we are also apparently expected to retire together in Wyoming, there's a list of reasons, I forget them xD) but it will probably be nearish yours cause she works in the Bay Area.

...uh, tl;dr probably not but likely to be nearby? And also will vouch for Alicorn as a cool person and GREAT cook.
Marri

Next

Return to Off Topic