Discord

Is it a nice day out? Do you like baby goats? Are you overdue on thank-you notes for your Christmas presents? Here you go.

Re: Discord

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:11 am

I have technical reasons for not going on IRC, namely that when I change wifi networks my connection gets confused.

I will sign up for the Discord soon.

Does Discord offer an IRC gateway like Slack?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:39 am

I seldom want to Go In Chatrooms but I really like having the logs of the IRC available. Does this support that?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:51 am

Alicorn: Discord keeps logs of chats but I'm not sure they are Gettable without Going In the Chatroom? I suppose someone else could copy/paste them for you or something like that. You could also just like, be in the chatroom on a barest technicality with all notifications turned off and your status always set to Do Not Disturb and so on. What properties does a log need to have for it to count as available to you?

DanielH: exegesis I think has bridges with the LW IRC but I haven't looked into how hard that is to set up. it's possible I could set up bridges to the glowfic IRC? I can try to look into that.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:32 pm

can discord do any kind of log-exporting such that there could be nice convenient public log records like there are for IRC?

bridges with the IRC would also be cool if I understand correctly what that is

I do not actually know the reason why IRC makes my brain go no lately, I think it has something to do with not having as much space in my head when I'm working on a device with a smaller screen

update: tenative discord conclusion: slightly easier than irc!!!!

can there be irc integration of some form somehow? how do??
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Tamien » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm

it seems like there is not (yet) a log exporting feature but googling suggests you can do it with APIs or bots or something else i do not know about. discord is pretty moddable i think?

i don't think there is an option for full IRC integration. there can be a bridge but i do not know how do. i can research later when i have time but here is a lead for now if anyone wishes to investigate: https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc

i TOTALLY get the not having as much space in my head when working on a smallscreen device. there are certain tasks i absolutely cannot do on phone because it is so tiny and it forces my thoughts to be tiny also.

i am glad discord is slightly easier than irc :D
Tamien

Postby Alicorn » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 pm

I like having a url I can just go to with a text dump.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:15 am

So I'm pretty sure there is an in-browser version of discord that is a url you can just go to and see logs at, but then you would be "in" the chat, even if you invisibled yourself. For a url with just logs I think we'd need a bot but i'm pretty sure that's doable
Tamien

Postby Kappa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:59 am

Also Discord is not a text dump of itself. It is like so not that thing. XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Tamien » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:08 am

For *me* discord itself is equivalent to a log of itself but I get the impression that for other people this is not the case. (Also I am not sure of difference between "log" and "text dump". Does a text dump plaintext and therefore not preserve formatting/reactions/emoji/moiety colors/etc?)
Tamien

Postby pedromvilar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:12 pm

"log" means "if I want to look at chat from october 18, 2016 I can" and also usually in plaintext yes

what's the current consensus on using a bridge bot? googling "bridge discord irc" brings up a github page with something like that as its first result and it doesn't look too technically challenging
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic