Discord

Is it a nice day out? Do you like baby goats? Are you overdue on thank-you notes for your Christmas presents? Here you go.

Discord

Postby Tamien » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 pm

nihil on tumblr made a discord called exegesis that has recently gained a lot of traction and i am wondering how many glowficcers are on it
i am also wondering what the general glowficcer consensus on IRC vs discord is. i haven't been on the glowfic IRC in ages but suddenly i am on discord a lot and if there were a glowfic discord i would probably be on it a lot (or at least a nonzero amount). are there any plans in the works to make one happen or is everyone very comfy with the IRC and i should just figure out how to set that up nice on my phone again?

ETA: I made a glowfic Discord! The Discord app is available on iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can also use Discord in-browser. Many channels are bridged to the IRC via bot, so if you prefer IRC, you can participate there without having to get Discord.
If you have Discord already, here is a permanent invite link to the glowfic Discord server. Until you are granted the @members▲ role, you will only be able to post in #intro, #chat, and #amenta. Once you have introduced yourself, someone can grant you full membership. The link will take you to the #info channel, which is a landing page that explains about the server. From there, we have many many other channels you can jump to:
  • #intro is exclusively for people to introduce themselves to the server
  • #chat is the general chat. SFW and spoiler-free. overflows into #alpha and #beta. overflows into #nsfw for stuff people might not want coworkers/parents/etc seeing over their shoulder.
  • #tags is where authors can tag each other with @mentions
  • #meta is for discussing the server - admin/mod stuff, emoji requests, channel creating and organization, permissions requests, and so on.
  • #amenta for discussing the amenta setting and amenta rp. contains amenta spoilers.
  • #reactions for reacting to glowfic threads. contains spoilers.
  • a long list of authorchannels. authors get limited mod permissions over their personal channels and control the discourse norms in them, so can be NSFW or spoilery.
  • #mwf for discussing the many worlds forum. contains mwf spoilers.
  • #voice a parallel text channel paired with the voice chats. main voice chat overflows into aleph.
Certain channels (such as #nsfw and certain authorchannels) are opt-in and require permissions to participate in. For opt-in, ask a mod. See pinned posts on #meta for more detailed server info.

Server roles are as follows:
  • @admins✶(kappa, pdv, throne, and I) - every permission
  • @mods★(pedro, sonata, tekeler) - most permissions - view audit log, manage server, manage roles, manage channels, create invites, etc
  • @bots■ (starbridge, janegem) - janegem can create/assign authorship/moiety and ?fling sparkles, starbridge connects the Discord with the IRC
  • @authors✦ (many) - moiety color, permissions over their authorchannel
  • @members▲ (many) - chat outside #intro, #chat, and #amenta
Last edited by Tamien on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:48 am, edited 10 times in total.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Discord

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 am

I never heard of this, how many are in it? as far I can tell, people are comfy with the IRC
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby RoboticLIN » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:13 am

We talked about discord once. Really the decision was "unnecessary" because we already have a place to talk, with good logs and side channels, and voice wasn't much of an upgrade. I offered to do the trivial amount of work to boot up a discord and, well, nobody cared.
Aestrix is clearly the best person of all time, I worship the ground she walks on.
- Aestrix, upon adding her drawing to my avatar <3
RoboticLIN

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:30 am

What even is Discord? Like, I have a vague sense of what it is but not enough of a sense to know whether I want a glowfic one or not.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Tamien » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:57 am

Kappa: If you know what Slack is, it's kindof like Slack. If you don't, it's basically like IRC but with much userfriendlier interface and logging and better searchability and integrated voice chat options and (my personal favorite) you can respond to individual posts with emoji and make custom emoji. Some people in exegesis were offering each other poofs and then realized no one else there knew what a poof was and I suddenly really wanted poof and sparklefling emojis I could respond to posts with but only glowficcers would understand but there are like 3 glowficcers on exegesis so then I started wanting a glowfic discord :P

RoboticLNIN: "Unnecessary because we already have an IRC that meets our needs" is about what I expected, but I figured I'd ask because I have drifted out of glowficry since becoming employed and discord would have been a low-effort way for me to poke my head back in.

Bluelantern: If I'm counting exegesis's member list right, 54. It's mainly people from rationalist tumblr.
Tamien

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 am

who are the glowfic in this discord?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 am

...I, too, wish to be able to respond to things with poof and sparklefling emojis

I would support the existence of a glowfic discord if other people wanted one, and I would *definitely* support the existence of a glowfic discord if it somehow turned out to be easier for me to pop into than IRC for some reason, because I miss being able to pop into IRC

(the reason IRC is hard is brain, not technical, please do not offer technical solutions to my brain problem)
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:57 am

what are the brain reasons why IRC is hard? i'm not sure discord is significantly different than IRC in these aspects but i'm just guessing
pedromvilar

Postby Tamien » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:00 am

Glowficcers on exegesis are Eva, Lambda/SonataGreen, myself, and one person who I cannot identify whose alias on the discord is Tricky. Plus maybe a few rationalist tumblr people who read glowfic but don't participate on the glowfic forum, like ozy.

I made a glowfic discord and if anyone wants to be in it and help me figure out how it should be structured and whether anyone will use it, here is the invite link.
Tamien

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:10 am

the person called tricky on the discord is also tricky here and on glowficsite so yeah :P

i think i am going to go to this place with these people and also the glowfic discord it sounds good
pedromvilar

Next

Return to Off Topic