A Challenger Approaches... [Introductions Thread]

Is it a nice day out? Do you like baby goats? Are you overdue on thank-you notes for your Christmas presents? Here you go.

Re: A Challenger Approaches... [Introductions Thread]

Postby Throne3d » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:26 am

Hello! Welcome to the forums.

My characters are also not particularly awake but sometimes it feels like there is very clearly a path that they would take and anything else is awful and how dare I think they might do otherwise, which – is sort of awake-ish, I guess. Multiple characters I'm usually fine with – though I think I end up simulating them differently because I'm not amazingly practiced at keeping information boxed into the individuals' spaces appropriately – but crowds are awful because there are too many ways they could go and too many possible personalities. :P

It got easier to keep them in mind with time, since at first I sometimes had days where I just totally forgot what they were supposed to be like – I have a model of how they should react, vague personality things, typical speech patterns, and sometimes that just failed to present itself in my head when I was trying to write them – but it seems easier now.

Welcome to the forum! [Again.]
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Unbitwise » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 am

Welcome!

Let me assure you you're not alone in not exactly having people in your head. What kinds of worlds/themes/plot elements do you like? I might well be interested in mutually bumbling along...
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 am

Welcome, Kaylin! :D
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby RoboticLIN » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:20 am

Welcome, Kaylin!

It gets easier, of course. Don't worry too hard, we're a very accepting bunch!
Aestrix is clearly the best person of all time, I worship the ground she walks on.
- Aestrix, upon adding her drawing to my avatar <3
RoboticLIN

Postby Kaylin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 am

I don't know yet which sort of themes/threads I'll be most interested in, but I can talk worlds! My characters' default setting is 1850 London with an invented magic system. Worlds I'd particularly like to play in: Hogwarts/Wix, Daevinity, Aurum, Alethia, Threefold, Syntropy, my own settings Shifters (aforementioned magic Victorians) and Corth (D&D-like medieval fantasy). Oh, and Milliways.

If there's an interest, I might drop some info on Shifters and Corth in a separate thread somewhere.
Kaylin

Pronouns: they/them (subject to change)

Postby Moriwen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 am

There is totally interest!! People around here are very interested in invented settings!

I think that there's a fair number of us who don't exactly experience the people-in-our-head thing -- certainly not to the extent that Kappa does -- but tend to talk about our writing in those terms because it's the standard way of speaking around here. And there are definitely people who've said they don't experience at all. So I wouldn't worry about being the odd one out, there.

Personally, I'd be interested in Shifters (I have characters whose default setting is 1940s France/England, shifting them a century earlier could be fun), Daevinity (I recently alted some characters there whom I'd like to play with more), and/or Milliways (I've got a standard out-of-the-box character-in-Milliways plot hook that's easy to pull out on short notice). Kappa's the one to talk to about Threefold. Pedro might be up for doing Aurum and/or Hogwarts. Not sure off the bat who'd feel like doing Syntropy (hey, Faceless, want to alt the triplets there?) or Alethia.

Oh! And welcome to the forums! Come join us in IRC sometime!
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Kaylin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:53 am

Moriwen wrote:Personally, I'd be interested in Shifters (I have characters whose default setting is 1940s France/England, shifting them a century earlier could be fun)

Ooooo, Jean and Zari in the 1848 revolutions would be fun. A couple of mine are British Secret Service and I can see them clashing/meeting while undercover/general shenanigans.

Come join us in IRC sometime!

What's IRC and how do I join it?
Kaylin

Postby Moriwen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:02 pm

IRC is the chat channel where people hang out! Thread about it is here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=483
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Welcome! What are your characters like?
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kaylin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:17 pm

I have...kind of a lot of characters. Like, 11 that I'm considering using for glowfic? Let me pick a sample.

Ezekiel (Z) is a magician of some stripe (will gravitate to the most powerful magic in worlds that have it) who, due to the religion he was raised in, is terrified of death and will do anything to achieve immortality. This doesn't include most types of vampirism, since he's paranoid about undeath counting as death. He hasn't decided how he feels about daeva yet; I'll let you know when he tells me. Current facecast: Christopher Lee (salt-and-pepper stage).

Raven wants to know everything. No, you weren't listening. Everything. Especially magic, if she becomes aware of it. Unlike Z, she's no more likely than anyone else to actually get access to any given magic system. Finds Masquerades and other artificial restrictions on availability of magic/magical knowledge to be personally offensive. Most likely to be found: reading classic literature. Current facecast: Felicity Jones.

Drake refuses to engage with the human concept of gender. Also refuses to be human unless forced to conform by a complete lack of other options. They are fiercely self-sufficient, have a sharp line between "people I care deeply about" and "everyone else", and appear racially and sexually ambiguous wherever possible. Apathetic about magic (but will make an exception for shapeshifting), unless given reason to dislike it, which...is likely to happen. Current facecast: David Chiang.
Kaylin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic