Movies

Is it a nice day out? Do you like baby goats? Are you overdue on thank-you notes for your Christmas presents? Here you go.

Re: Movies

Postby Lambda » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:27 pm

Depends on your tastes. Mononoke if you like darker stuff, Kiki for lighter stuff, Nausicaa for in between, Grave of the Fireflies if you like European art films, Totoro if you like Oscar-bait.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Alicorn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Spirited Away is the best. I like Nausicaa too.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:08 am

When I was a kid, we had a copy of Nausicaa in the original Japanese. I didn't speak a word of Japanese, I was just going based on what people were doing and tone of voice and stuff. I still loved it.
It was interesting, years later, when I found it in English and compared what was really going on to what I had thought was going on.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 am

How close were your guesses?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:08 am

MaggieoftheOwls wrote:When I was a kid, we had a copy of Nausicaa in the original Japanese. I didn't speak a word of Japanese, I was just going based on what people were doing and tone of voice and stuff. I still loved it.
It was interesting, years later, when I found it in English and compared what was really going on to what I had thought was going on.

I vaguely tempted to do this, but I barely have the attention span for a single understandable movie ».»
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Mm--mostly accurate, but I thought the Ohmu were evil and didn't really have a clue what was going on with the flesh-melty "god-warrior."
MaggieoftheOwls

Postby Adelene » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Also, I recommend the Howl's Moving Castle book - the movie is very pretty but mangled the plot to the point of incomprehensibility.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Haven't seen the movie, can wholeheartedly second the book.
MaggieoftheOwls

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:47 pm

I heartily recommend both the book and movie of Howl's Moving Castle, with the substantial caveat that you should not consider them related to each other. The plot is entirely unrelated and the only characters that have any similarity are Sophie, the castle, and its inhabitants.

I'd also suggest skipping Nausicaa entirely (it does nothing other Ghibli movies don't, and does them all very... flatly?), and recommend Mononoke, Howl, and Spirited Away.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Tamien » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 am

I remember being *extremely excited* about Howl's Moving Castle being made into an movie by Ghibli, like 20 minutes straight squeeing excited, and then *extremely let down* because of how badly it mangled the plot. It's a very pretty movie and it might be good on its own merits but I couldn't enjoy it because I was expecting it to actually resemble the book, so I don't know that I can really recommend it. I wholeheartedly recommend the book, though.
Tamien

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic