Mercedes Lackey

Is it a nice day out? Do you like baby goats? Are you overdue on thank-you notes for your Christmas presents? Here you go.

Mercedes Lackey

Postby Kappa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Moved from the Canons List.

Also, regarding the antirecommendation of the Obsidian/Enduring Flame trilogies: If you like Mercedes Lackey, they are pretty damn good Mercedes Lackey. If you don't like Mercedes Lackey, they are like unto a literary form of torture. Alicorn falls into the latter category; I'm closer to the former. If you don't know if you like Mercedes Lackey, it probably isn't worth reading the books to find out.
Last edited by Kappa on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Re: Canons List

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I am not strongly inclined to find out, but what would be a safer Mercedes Lackey story? (I must say that Thilanushinyel did not impress me at all)
Last edited by Bluelantern on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:35 pm

For a Lackey introduction, I'd recommend her Elemental Masters or Hundred Kingdoms series; they're all standalone novels, mostly retellings of fairy tales in the two settings. Elemental Masters are in an early-1900s England (well, mostly England) where there are people who have the natural ability to do classical-elements magic; Hundred Kingdoms are set in a traditional fairy-tale world, except that a magical force called The Tradition both supplies all magical power and tries to force events down the various story-paths of fairy tales.

I also consider them better-written than the Valdemar series, which is what she's better known for.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Kappa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 pm

The weird thing about the Elemental Masters series is that after reading a few of them in close succession, I start to get the strong feeling that they were written from the standpoint of, "What is the best way I can turn all of these fairy tales into the exact same romance storyline over and over again?"

But yeah, better written than the Valdemar series. Not that that's such a high bar to clear. (I like Mercedes Lackey, but mostly for nostalgia reasons; she is not really a great writer.)
Kappa

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Yeah, that's a fair description. She's certainly not bad, but not great by anyone's standard.
PlainDealingVillain

Re: Mercedes Lackey

Postby Alicorn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:10 pm

I've split this topic as it's not really germane to the Canons List in this quantity.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm

And now I've cross-linked everything.
Kappa

Postby Anya » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 pm

I liked the first Thousand Kingdoms book, but when I tried to read it's sequal I kind of noped and left a pretty bad review on goodreads. *shrug*
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 am

Side note: Both I and Anya misremembered the name, it's the Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms series.
PlainDealingVillain

Postby Anya » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 am

Ooooooh. Lmfao. I haven't read that and am apparently thinking of a totally different series/author.

I'm a dope.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Next

Return to Off Topic