Cool Little-Known Things

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: Cool Little-Known Things

Postby Tamien » Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 am

Oh man, you've read Ready, Okay!? I have never met someone else who has read it independently of me! It was one of my favorite books growing up.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby modrony » Fri May 02, 2014 8:54 am

modrony

Postby Alicorn » Fri May 02, 2014 10:20 am

Yeah, in college I had a friend who was a huge Cadre fan and got me into his stuff and eventually I obtained a copy. I'm not sure what's happened to it, it might be in one of the boxes my mom has been sending my way.

Cute fic. It actually reminds me of something me and my xibeta were going to do in the Worm/Frozen fusion RP we were planning, although it's looking less and less like that will ever happen.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Of possible relevance given the previous discussion on this thread: Adam Cadre has started an Indiegogo and Patreon for, among other things, a complete rewrite of Ready, Okay and release in ebook form.

P.S. Alicorn, have you thought about doing some sort of Patreon for yourself?
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Alicorn » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't think I have the fanbase for Patreon to be worth it. Would people actually chip into a Patreon or would they just sort of approve of it from a non-financial distance?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Tulip » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:14 am

I'd just approve it from a non-financial distance.
Tulip

Postby Anya » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:18 pm

I would chip in.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:51 pm

I have donation buttons, which see activity about twice annually. My thus-far-available Elcenia books have sold on the order of twenty copies apiece (I think, but Createspace is kind of hard to understand on this topic). And I'm pretty terrible at hiding things, so I'm not sure what sort of incentives I'd offer on a Patreon setup that would make people more interested in giving me money than they already aren't and which I wouldn't under normal circumstances just let everybody see...
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:16 pm

One potential setup is to let people direct your creativity more, but I don’t think that would work for you with any reasonable way to set it up. Another is to directly produce more content with more money so there isn’t a free-rider problem, but that almost certainly wouldn’t work for you.

Another thing to consider is that having a Patreon might possibly draw attention from publishers who ignore fanfics that don’t make money, but don’t ignore ones that do. Luminosity, and especially Radiance and most sections of glowfic, should be considered fair use, but I am not a lawyer and you don’t want to draw the adverse attention of anybody who is even if it is as legally clear what’s fair use as it seems like it should be.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm not really money-limited in my content production because I'm a housewife. I do whatever I want all day.

I'd probably avoid expressly attaching the Patreon to any fanworks, just to be safe, same reason the Luminosity subdomain doesn't have a donate button. If I had a Patreon.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Links