[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Alicornutopia • View topic - Cool Little-Known Things

Cool Little-Known Things

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Cool Little-Known Things

Postby Kingsley » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 pm

This is a thread for directing your fellows to cool things that might otherwise go unnoticed.

I will start with a link to , which is probably my favorite webcomic. It starts off not particularly well-drawn, but the jokes are worth staying for. Like many of my favorite things, it can be considered an elaborate mockery of values that I consider important-- in this case the philosophy of Stoicism.
Kingsley

Pronouns:

Re: Cool Little-Known Things

Postby Shoal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

http://someonewhocares.org/siteoftheday/ -- this is a neat little site and everyday they link to some cool website.
Shoal

Pronouns:

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Hitherby Dragons. Oh my god, how do I describe this? Short, frequently weird, frequently hilarious, often both, prose (fiction) entries which gradually become linked into a complicated overarching backstory. Start , keep clicking Next. Reading the first ten entries (through "The Dancing Popes") should give you a good enough sense of the type of stuff this is to decide if you want to continue (though the backstory-heavy stuff doesn't come until a little later). Warning: is currently unfinished, but has an extensive archive (hundreds to thousands of entries).

EDIT: Has a TV Tropes page .
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns:

Postby Tamien » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 pm

I have a bunch of cool things people are potentially unaware of that I could link to, but no obvious mechanism for prioritizing amongst them. So, uh, I guess this would be a reasonable place to link to , a flash game my brother made? Requires keyboard and mouse to play; takes approximately an hour? (I will give one playing tip because this is the thing I see most people get frustrated on: once you have the turtle, you can move in all four WASD directions, not just left/right!)
Tamien

Pronouns:

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 pm

I am a fan of , a webcomic of geeks having impromptu philosophical discussions about jokes. And other things, but there are always jokes. And authorial rants which are surprisingly thought-provoking.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns:

Postby Kappa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:49 am

Kappa

Pronouns:

Postby jalapeno_dude » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Tamien, thanks for linking Frog Fractions. I enjoyed it muchly. (And kudos as well for your tip: it was helpful but not so helpful that it prevented me from feeling smart when I figured out when exactly I should use it.)

(Also, I suspect people who enjoy this -- at least the subset of them who are on this forum and thus presumably enjoy Alicorn stories as well -- will also enjoy Hitherby Dragons.)

Given that, I would be interested to see other entries from your list of "cool things people are potentially unaware of."
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns:

Postby Kingsley » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:32 pm

are pretty awesome. The art is bad, but the concepts are very interesting. They focus largely on weird evolutionary paths and social misunderstandings. I really like "Hitmen for Destiny" and "The Accidental Space Spy"; he's recently started a new comic called "Transdimensional Brain Chip."
Kingsley

Pronouns:

Postby Tamien » Thu May 01, 2014 3:53 pm

jalapeno_dude, I'm glad you enjoyed the game, and I'm glad I designed my tip well! I haven't posted anything else until now because I still lack a good prioritization mechanism for recommending list items aside from "temporally relevant". However, I just thought of something, and it made me think of some other things!

To wit: another fun game you can try is ! It's a group game, though, so you can't play it on your own. If you've ever played , it's kindof the distilled essence of that game, sped up and injected with a hilarious cream filling. It's temporally relevant because their kickstarter is almost over and they're not funded yet :(

On the topic of games: I have recently been reminded of the existence some good twine games. For one, anything by porpentine is good, but I'm particularly partial to because it's super short and I find it highly amusing. is a longer-form one that is also good. For non-porpentine twine games, I really highly recommend by Lydia Neon. It is not a funny game. It is an introspective game about personal relationships.

On the topic of interactive fiction: One of my favorite IF writers, Adam Cadre, runs the annual contest, which is an intentional unintentional humor competition. The idea is to write a bad first line to a really bad novel. The sentence should be brief, should plausibly be the beginning of a book and ideally give you an insight into what kind of book, and should give the impression that it was written in earnest by a someone who's really bad at writing. It's hard to write intentional unintentional humor, but the winners are typically hilarious. He's been running the contest since 2001, so there are over a decade's worth of previous winners to peruse, and the 2014 winners were just posted.

Oh, and if you're curious about , I recommend them in this order of increasing familiarity-with-IF-conventions: Photopia, 9:05, I-0, Shrapnel, Varicella. Photopia is his most accessible game and is excellent. 9:05 and I-0 are a bit lighter, but more standard IF-fare in terms of game style. Shrapnel has a great story, but is definitely better if you're familiar IF as a genre, and requires knowledge of IF conventions. Varicella I suspect is fantastic, but it's hard - so hard that I haven't managed to beat it, and I grew up on IF. It's got a good premise, and what I've been able to see of it has made me really want to see the rest, but I can't actually say all that much more about it. His other games (Narcolepsy, Lock & Key, Textfire Golf, and Endless, Nameless), I either played and found unmemorable or haven't played, but if you like his other stuff they might be worth checking out.
Tamien

Pronouns:

Postby Alicorn » Fri May 02, 2014 12:02 am

Adam Cadre's short stories (and his novel Ready, Okay!) are really good.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns:

Next

Return to Links