Books that are fun to read?

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: Books that are fun to read?

Postby Eva » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:01 pm

PlainDealingVillain wrote:Phule's father is the owner of the galactic weapons manufacturer Phuleproof. He is vaguely displeased by his father and joins the Interstellar foreign legion (the dumping ground of the armed forces), screws up, and is sent to head the dumping ground of the dumping ground because his dad is too rich for him to be court-martialed.

He then basically Mileses at them just to prove his superiors wrong, and proceeds to succeed at a number of ridiculously difficult tasks in extremely unusual ways, like winning a best-theme-park war and taking over Space Las Vegas.

Phule's Company is really good. And also very funny.

Featured: Nonhuman aliens who have problems with being nonhuman in a human-dominated army, various petty and non-petty criminals who joined up to escape their past, and a radio operator who can't talk to people. Also, the best way ever to run an obstacle course.
Eva

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 pm

I found Lawrence Watt-Evans's Ethshar series very fun and easy reads. I recommend starting with The Misenchanted Sword, and then With A Single Spell, but they are all quite stand-alone and order doesn't really matter.

I also +1 recs for Diana Wynne Jones, Patricia C. Wrede, and Tamora Pierce.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby ErinFlight » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:20 pm

I have acquired a copy of Summers at Castle Auburn and The First Fifteen Lives of Henry August!
I am very excited.
ErinFlight

Postby ErinFlight » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:36 am

Thank you guys for all of your recommendations!
Now that I have read things, I'm posting an update.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
Great book which I initially confused with another book about time loops. I was very confused as I kept waiting for there to be an apocalypse and a romantic subplot.
This is a great story that keeps the action up, but also gets philosophical. Strong writing. Read people. Definitely worth reading.

Persepolis
Eye opening. Heart breaking. Overall a wonderful graphic novel.

Night Watch

Read the first one, in the middle of the second.
This is a great series. It has strong setting, characters, writing, and plot. Nothing is truly groundbreaking, but together they are wonderful. The morals aren't black and white and sometimes you wonder who's side you should be on.
Definitely worth a read.

A Wizard of Earthsea
I almost gave up on this book halfway through, when the character seemed to be about to display typical protagonist invulnerability.
But then, the book surprised me. His actions has consequences. He learned he doesn't always know everything. He changed.
The rest of the book was wonderful. I'm going to read the next one.

Summers at Castle Auburn
I really enjoyed this book.
It seemed to be a simple European-ish noble's court story, but then it wasn't.
Every time I sunk into complacency I was reminded of the horror lurking behind the luxury.
This was definitely a fun book, but it was not the book I was expecting. I'm very glad I read it.

Books I'd already read:

Dresden Files
Read the first four books. Couldn't get into it.

Codex Alera
Same author, yet I loved these. I read them multiple times.
They are so much fun, and I love the main character's lack of overwhelming power.

The Mysterious Benedict Society
Young adult novel that is a lot of fun.

Name of the Wind
An unabashedly fun fantasy series. The main character is definitely overpowered, but that's half the reason I enjoyed the books. It's fun to read about him and it's fun to root for him. The author has a lot of ideas and these books were a fast read.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Set in the same universe as the Name of the Wind, but it has a very different tone. This is less of a story and more of a look at a girl and the place she lives. It's beautiful. I loved it.

Dianne Wynne Jones
I've read the three books in the Howl's Moving Castle universe and really enjoyed them. I plan to read more.

Anyways, you guys have great taste. I didn't dislike a single book (except Dresden, but Dresden and I have never gotten along).
I'm looking forward to reading more.
ErinFlight

Postby jalapeno_dude » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:03 pm

For all of you who enjoyed The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, I highly recommend Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which takes a very similar premise as a starting point but lingers more over the details and does something a lot more understated. I liked it a lot!
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Anya » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:40 am

I liked it a lot too! Have you read the companion novel about her brother? I think its called A God in Ruins. I haven't read it yet because I don't think it has the same scifi~ elements Life After Life has. Though I could be wrong.
Anya

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:46 pm

Anya wrote:I liked it a lot too! Have you read the companion novel about her brother? I think its called A God in Ruins. I haven't read it yet because I don't think it has the same scifi~ elements Life After Life has. Though I could be wrong.

Not yet, but will definitely check it out!
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Antares » Sat May 06, 2017 10:49 am

Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series
The Angel's Game
The Shadow of the Wind
The Prisoner of Heaven
Also from Zafon- Marina

Diana Wynne Jones has some really good stuff, my favorites being Howl's Moving Castle series
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle in the Air
House of Many Ways- really love this one
Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog was fantastic, Gourmet Rhapsody was meh and I will get started on The Life of Elves.
Lili St. Crow's Tales of Beauty and Madness
Nameless
Wayfarer
Kin
They are the retold tales of Snow White, Cinderella and Red Riding Hood set in a richly imagined magically diverse society rebuild after an apocalypse.
Antares

Previous

Return to Links