Books that are fun to read?

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: Books that are fun to read?

Postby Adelene » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:10 pm

This may be a useful juncture at which to point out that I a) recently started keeping a personal ebook library and b) am a scurvy pirate.

Recs, hm.

If you like Pratchett you'll probably also like Robert Asprin, particularly the Myth series. I'm also fond of the Phule series but it's much harder to find since it was substantially less popular.

McCaffery's stuff is kinda dated and wasn't very progressive even back in the 70s-90s, but it was popular back then; it's been a while since I read most of it so I can't directly vouch for readability, though.

Ursula Vernon's written some things under the penname T. Kingfisher; the two I've read are excellent. I also have the Beauty and the Beast version that inspired her one, which is less good (imo) but still pretty cool.

Dunno if it'd count as a fun read, but if you want something that's a little deeper and thought-provoking while still being easy and relatively light, Everything I Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten and the other similar books by the same author are pretty good.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby DanielH » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Adelene, as to your point b, I recommend having guava, chili, or broccoli. They have much more vitamin C than oranges. Straight vitamin C supplements are also an option.

I do most of my reading on the Internet instead of physical books, even when I’m reading things also published as conventional books. I’ve found that the Enchanted Forest Chronicles (the world Chronicle in Effulgence is based off of) is pretty good and not very much work to read. Probably there are other things I could recommend, but I can’t bring them to mind at the moment.

How do Elcencia books fall on this scale?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Eva » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 pm

I second Sanderson, Snicket, Huff, Pierce, Butcher, Aspirin, and Mccaffery, particularly Mccaffery's Brainship books in her case.

To add to the pile, I'd recommend Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind, which is a substantial chunk of book but never once lost me. Rothfuss has an amazing command of language - I dare you to read the prologue to the Name of the Wind and say it is poorly executed. (I can almost recite it from memory, and I have not put effort into learning it!)

Rothfuss has also written the book that I feel has had the greatest personal impact on me. (The Slow Regard of Silent Things.) I'd recommend it as well, but though it's much shorter, it's a side story to the Name of the Wind: I feel it needs he background of the first book, at least.

(That said... The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a book that you feel ashamed to have bought at a bookstore. It feels like you should have discovered it in a locked trunk at the back of someone's attic, or given to you on your eighteenth birthday as an inheritance. Something about it seems timeless. After I read it, I ended up walking down a gravel path in the city at ten in the evening with my shoes off, filled by a fae mood that made everything beautiful and important. I'm not certain it's for everyone, but... To me, it was a book that showed it was possible to demonstrate the unexplainable.)
Eva

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Adelene » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Eva wrote:That said... The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a book that you feel ashamed to have bought at a bookstore. It feels like you should have discovered it in a locked trunk at the back of someone's attic, or given to you on your eighteenth birthday as an inheritance.

You know the solution to this is to buy a couple copies and hide them for people to find. ^^
Utility Admin
Adelene

Postby Adelene » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:25 pm

Oh also, Spider Robinson's Telempath is one of my very favorite books and a fairly easy read. (And OpenLibrary has an ebook version and I'm signed up to borrow it in a few days.) It's also the only Spider Robinson book I've read; I really ought to fix that.

Think think think...

A lot of Cory Doctrow's stuff is pretty straightforward plotwise and characterwise? Not sure he'll be to anyone's taste, though, he's definitely got his own little niche going on.

And yes, the brainship books are a good place to start for McCaffrey, though maybe actually skip The Ship Who Sang or at least go into it knowing it's a collection of short stories rather than a proper novel. I also want to say that the Crystal Singer trilogy is a decent starting point, even though it's been a decade since I read it. (My intro was the Dragonsinger trilogy, which isn't bad iirc, particularly if you like more fantasy than scifi.)
Utility Admin
Adelene

Postby Eva » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Adelene wrote:
Eva wrote:That said... The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a book that you feel ashamed to have bought at a bookstore. It feels like you should have discovered it in a locked trunk at the back of someone's attic, or given to you on your eighteenth birthday as an inheritance.

You know the solution to this is to buy a couple copies and hide them for people to find. ^^

Already did so! The copy that I own now was a gift. :3

Re: Mccaffery: The Ship Who Searched is one of my favorite books, it is excellent. Hypatia is the best.
Last edited by Eva on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eva

Postby Adelene » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Eva wrote:
Adelene wrote:

Already did so! The copy that I own now was a gift. :3

<3
Utility Admin
Adelene

Postby Ezra » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:46 pm

If you like Robert Asprin, it's possible you'll like Spider Robinson. And maybe Piers Anthony but I have read very little of him.

Did we check Ursula K. LeGuin? Gail Carson Levine?
Ezra

Postby Eva » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Ezra wrote:If you like Robert Asprin, it's possible you'll like Spider Robinson. And maybe Piers Anthony but I have read very little of him.

Did we check Ursula K. LeGuin? Gail Carson Levine?

Piers Anthony does not have books so much as he has pun compilations strung together by events.
Eva

Postby DanielH » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:58 pm

That depends on the book. The Apprentice Adept books, and even the early Xanth books, are not particularly punny. That description applies to later Xanth books, though. I don’t know about Incarnations of Immortality or any other Piers Anthony works.

If you decide to read his works, you should be aware that they can sometimes violently disagree with people. There are also a lot of people who dislike Piers Anthony for various reasons (mostly misogyny, I think), and it’s been long enough since I read him that I don’t remember how accurate any of those reasons are.
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Links