AMVs

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: AMVs

Postby halcyon » Fri May 08, 2015 11:59 am

Alicorn wrote:That's a really pretty song (I'm gonna check out the artist) but I'm not getting a ton from the video part, maybe because I don't know the anime.

You're right, I should've known my partiality for that video would be subjective. Not only am I into WWII and the whole Soviet psychic research charade, I have even read Kotkin's detailed biography of Stalin just for the fun of it.

Okay, let me see if consulting less subjective lists produces better results:

1) http://akross.ru/index.cgi?act=ratings;sec=top;l=e

Looking at this list, I see I'm at least not alone in liking Hell's Gate, but it could be a combination of liking the song and peer pressure.

There are a lot of good videos on this list. I like relatively subdued stuff, so I prefer Revenge and Drawn Dream, but I suspect most people would like All that you can't leave behind better. Part of You, Shadow of Me is a good one, and it's in the romance genre.

2) http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Ratings&file=byrating

The first three videos on this list (PaperHeart, Our Tapes, PencilHead) are excellent IIRC. Our Tapes is another romance video made by the same artist who made Sincerity.

3) Moving on to more subjective territory again: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D72DAEDC21

This is a pretty diverse collection, and it contains many of the videos I mentioned above. (Including Hell's Gate. Okay, I feel somewhat vindicated now.) What's new here?

Fate Matrix is pretty good. I never conceived of God as a little girl before watching that video. I can't believe DANGER DAYS is on the list. To be fair, the video is well constructed, it has a lot of energy and I do like it.
halcyon

Pronouns: he

Postby Alicorn » Fri May 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Dang, Our Tapes is good.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Eva » Mon May 11, 2015 9:03 pm

I've always liked Crossfade's stuff.

Spanish Wolf is what I show to people to get them to watch Spice and Wolf.
The Stage does storytelling in an AMV quite well.
And also have some humor for those who've seen Death Note.
Eva

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby kuuskytkolme » Tue May 12, 2015 2:15 am

Here are my top three Madoka Magica AMVs:

1) Maho Shojo Requiem - if I haven't gotten people to watch Madoka by showing the first cold opening or Mami vs Gertrud fight I usually show them this.

2) Devi'ls Game - Spoils everything, don't watch if you haven't seen the show.

3) Walpurgisnacht - Tells a possible alternate timeline with no dialog and good editing.

I also like RadiaAkshun for the Rebuild of Evangelion.

It's technically not anime music video, but this is a good video for Gravity Falls. (It spoils the ending of the first season and is so much better if you've seen the show.)
I am number 63. I'm also ESL, please don't eat me.
kuuskytkolme

Pronouns: she/her

Postby AndaisQ » Tue May 12, 2015 4:07 pm

The Nightmagi Cometh is an eternal classic, of course. (Song edited from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, a good show for those with a higher tolerance than I for absolutely agonizing cringe comedy.)
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby linkhyrule5 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:38 pm

linkhyrule5

Pronouns: He

Previous

Return to Links