The Many Worlds Forum

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: The Many Worlds Forum

Postby BlueSkySprite » Thu May 07, 2015 4:52 pm

I'm writing Botanical Engineer and Dotted Lines.
Dotted Lines is supposed to be Steve Carlsburg from Night Vale.

I am having a really great time reading and writing in this!
BlueSkySprite

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Thu May 07, 2015 5:02 pm

@BSS: was Botanical Engineer right about the math of how long they live or did they misunderstand what the other humans were saying about their own lifespans? I did the math and it looked like they live about 1-2 earth years assuming the smallest amount of time = 1 earth second?
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby BlueSkySprite » Thu May 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Earth seconds are the same as Garden seconds.

I have been doing the math by converting years to seconds with the equation
=(years)*365.25(day/year)*24(hour/day)*60(minutes/hour)*60(seconds/minute), which simplifies to =(years)*31557600(seconds/year).
I have been converting to cycles from seconds with
=(seconds)/[125(seconds/shade)*25(shades/color)*25(colors/day)*5(days/week)*5(weeks/set)*5(sets/net)*5(nets/shine)*25(shines/cycle)], which simplifies to
=(seconds)/1220703125(seconds/cycle)
Using these, I found:
40 years = 1262304000 seconds = 1.0341 cycles.
60 years = 1893456000 seconds = 1.5511 cycles = 1 cycle, 14 shines.

Does the math look right?
BlueSkySprite

Postby DanielH » Thu May 07, 2015 6:11 pm

That’s about what I got too. Given the numbers Shoal was saying, I expect they missed one of the factors of 25.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby BlueSkySprite » Thu May 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Just double checking, for me, these attachments do not actually load books, just look like links and have a sentence or so of hover-text. Is this what there is supposed to be? It seems likely, but I wanted to make sure.
BlueSkySprite

Postby Kappa » Thu May 07, 2015 6:44 pm

I assumed that was intentional and we're meant to take it that the items were attached in-character.

Also: Okay, fess up. Who is a_potato? :D
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Lambda » Thu May 07, 2015 6:45 pm

I think so too, based on clicking the "quote" button to peek at the post source. I might be wrong about whether that works though.

I've set the Backstage group to Open, so it should be joinable without my help. I think I've set it up so that it won't show up on profiles and stuff; let me know if you see the word "Backstage" under someone's name somewhere.

edited to add: pretty sure a_potato is an HPMOR reference, possibly HJPEV though I wouldn't expect that to be his first post in this situation.
Last edited by Lambda on Thu May 07, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby BlueSkySprite » Thu May 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks! I was concerned that it wasn't working for security settings on my browser or something, although I also assumed we were supposed to act like it was attached in-character.
I am not a potato. I am charmed by the potato! I think the potato person is probably an HPMoR person?

Edit: Also, @Aestrix, is Dispersive Prism an alt of Avet?
BlueSkySprite

Postby teceler » Thu May 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Yeah, it was intended that they be icly be attached, but I did not have any actual documents to use. The hover-text was to give an idea of the contents/subject matter, and while I did get it to work seems to have caused some formatting weirdness. (They are there icly if supported by the local format, though)
(If you want more idea of the contents I may be able to provide that, at least oocly, as Thorn has no reason to give it at the moment)

I am also not a potato.
teceler

Postby Aestrix » Thu May 07, 2015 7:30 pm

The person publicly writing on the forum under the name Dispersive Prism is definitely not an alt of Avet. She is basically just there to be as adorable as possible while also living under a disturbing totalitarian government.

Spoiler:
But there is an alt of Avet present. She was responsible for the hahanope preventing Prism's bank account details from being posted. Otherwise she is lurking and exchanging messages with people she thinks could be helpful.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

PreviousNext

Return to Links