The Many Worlds Forum

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: The Many Worlds Forum

Postby anthusiasm » Wed May 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Is Thorn from the setting of Ava's Demon, or am I way off?
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm

To whoever's being the SCP people: One, you are a DELIGHT. Two, Leaf was trying so, so hard to restrain himself from saying "I have seen better security practices from a small child trying to hide a cookie". XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Lambda » Wed May 06, 2015 4:47 pm

I am having way too much fun writing QUALITY DISCOUNT SPELLBOOKS. I think this must be how Hussie feels about SBaHJ.

(I'm also Gray Librarian.)
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Kappa » Wed May 06, 2015 4:58 pm

QUALITY DISCOUNT SPELLBOOKS looks like a ton of fun. XD
Kappa

Postby anthusiasm » Wed May 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Gray Librarian is awesome and I want more forever.
anthusiasm

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Shoal wrote:you could use original setting instead if you want

I don't think people don't really care about them? Non-original has the jump start of being easier for the reader
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby DanielH » Wed May 06, 2015 5:11 pm

I think that Archangel was implying with the comment about taking it at face value that Leaf should not have assumed the document itself was being honest. Perhaps they had already thought of my suggestion and had a more-secure document which we never got to see. In that case, it would be suspicious to stop talking about it, and it would be suspicious for them to have not thought of lying in the documentation. A good infosec policy plus the appearance of a bad one is sometimes better than just a good infosec policy (and sometimes it’s useless, and sometimes it comes back to bite you, but the tradeoff might be worth it).

Also, can we have somewhere to have out-of-character discussions on the forum, or at least an out-of-character FAQ? Such things are, unfortunately, occasionally necessary (as seen by this thread), but I would rather not put them in the main posts.

I don’t particularly care about original vs. non-original settings in this case. In glowfic I find it annoying when the reader is assumed to understand how a non-original setting works and I don’t, but even then I’m usually able to muddle along (I loved the Animorphs section of Effulgence because anything I could wonder about the setting is something the characters are also wondering, and at the same time I can look up the answers if I want). Since Andrew doesn’t know about any of these settings, it shouldn’t cause a problem.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby anthusiasm » Wed May 06, 2015 5:16 pm

@Bluelantern, I, for one, almost never comment on peoples' original settings in this forum because I don't have the attention span to read long explanation posts. Watching people RP as characters from original settings as they drop bite-sized chunks of worldbuilding is a lot more interesting.

(It's also helping me with my writing a lot, because I never have the patience to do a lot of worldbuilding in one sitting. I have the general parameters of the setting I've been using on the forum worked out in my mind, but I'm making the details up as I go along. I'm forcing myself to generate ideas, it's fun!)

@DanielH I like the out-of-character FAQ idea.
anthusiasm

Postby Kappa » Wed May 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Leaf's position is that if you point out in the visible documentation that you should be lying in the documentation, everyone will know you are lying in the documentation, whereas if you don't, only some people will figure out that you are lying in the documentation. And in a place as contextually diverse as this forum, even lies are probably more information than you want your enemy to have.

My position is that Leaf is being catty, but probably still has a point.
Kappa

Postby Nemo » Wed May 06, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm with Leaf. The actual Foundation response would be to post a Gorgon's head and just kill everyone except whoever was filtering everything through a fork of their mind.

Of course, Leaf is a Miles and would be better at Foundation-ing than they are even if we don't count not being evil in his favor.
Nemo

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Links