The Many Worlds Forum

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: The Many Worlds Forum

Postby Lambda » Wed May 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Apparently there's no way to make those kinds of customizations apply to the mobile version of the website. Bah.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Ezra » Wed May 13, 2015 6:57 pm

I see Hadassah as a "Poster".

I tracked down a non-mobile computer and checked there. When the forum is viewed from this non-mobile computer, I see a different dark blue theme with a different layout. (A quick test: the non-mobile theme shows the Quote button with a smooth gradient, whereas the mobile theme shows it with a sharp, metallic two-tone effect.)

Seen from this non-mobile computer, hyperlinks are marked, and I don't see anyone as Backstage. (The mobile view is unchanged.)
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Lambda » Wed May 13, 2015 7:30 pm

OK, that confirms that it's the mobile version being stupid. I don't think I can fix it, unfortunately.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed May 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Related thing: page numbers don't show up at the bottom of threads, only the top. This makes it a bit annoying to follow conversations through to their ends.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Kappa » Wed May 13, 2015 9:29 pm

There's that floaty bar that follows you down the page, but yeah.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Wed May 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Oops, I used invalid bbcode for that. I think the link is accessible to everybody?
DanielH

Postby linkhyrule5 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:21 am

So, this looks like an interesting thing!

I'm thinking about tossing my hat into the ring, but I have a mild problem with regards to interacting with the forum for the first time. Namely, my character (OC from an original setting, which I may be writing up for general glowfic use at some point) is going to be reaching out to other worlds, fully aware that said other worlds will almost certainly be entirely alien to him, and will make his first post very magic to compensate. It somehow only just occurred to me that I do not actually have magic powers and so I would need people to play along.

So. Er. Is this a good place to discuss magic mechanics?

(The details of the effect, to answer the obvious question in advance: it's somewhat akin to Elspeth/Esthfora's aura, but rather than being "absolute truth," is "absolute comprehension." The spell takes the spoken words as intended, translates them into raw concept/the Platonic ideal of what was said, and then translates them back into a format absolutely comprehensible to the viewer. This means that it will use whatever idiom is most intuitive, even if that idiom is the particular manner of explanation that your eighth grade favorite math teacher used or something. The result is almost certainly profoundly creepy to anyone who takes a second look at it, though at first glance it's merely extremely easy to understand. Is this something that would be blocked by Esthfora, say? It's bound to "the communication", so, say, Archangel wouldn't get the effect behind his relays unless he opened a private message thread with him.)

At any rate, it's completely redudant because the forum software already handles it, so he'll stop after the first post or so. I just can't imagine him not thinking "hey, what if these people don't use words to communicate?", especially since that wouldn't reliably work even purely within his own world.
linkhyrule5

Pronouns: He

Postby Kappa » Thu May 14, 2015 6:20 am

You can totally provide an OOC explanation in the backstage section and then make the post, and if I'm online I'll have somebody jump on it and notice IC that something's up so people who don't haunt backstage will be clued in without you having to wallpaper the post in OOC notes. That's more or less what I did for Esthfora's first post.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Mon May 25, 2015 7:46 pm

It is too late to join?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby DanielH » Mon May 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Nope. I don’t think anybody is planning a cutoff or anything. I would object if they were.
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Links