The Many Worlds Forum

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

The Many Worlds Forum

Postby Lambda » Mon May 04, 2015 8:49 pm

I made this thing.

The premise is that it's a forum that exists in multiple worlds, and therefore can be used to communicate with people from other worlds. Inspirations include this question, this thread, and Jane helping the various internets connect to each other.

I'm hoping to get more people involved. Come play?
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Re: The Many Worlds Forum

Postby anthusiasm » Mon May 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Ooooh! This is a neat thing!
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Mon May 04, 2015 9:04 pm

What are you envisioning people will do here, and is the convention one account per character or one per player?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Lambda » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Accounts are per character, definitely. (Edit: the board has a neat feature where you can create multiple sub-accounts on the same global account, and switch between them relatively easily. This is useful for managing multiple characters. To access this feature, there should be an account-switcher icon in the lower right corner once you've logged in.)

As for what people will do here:
OOC, I'm envisioning that players RP there.
IC, I'm envisioning that characters do much the same sort of things they do in Milliways, which varies considerably depending on their individual inclinations. Some will want to learn about other worlds out of pure intellectual curiosity, others will want to exploit trade opportunities for personal gain, and still others will want to hang out and play games. Some of the available options are different due to being a web forum rather than a bar (no getting a room, yes taking it to PM), but basically it's driven by the characters' needs, desires, interests, and abilities, as in any RP.
Last edited by Lambda on Tue May 05, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambda

Postby Lambda » Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 pm

In case it wasn't clear: this is an in-character forum. In glowfic, an author has a Dreamwidth account and posts to narrate what the character does; in this thing, a character has a forum account and posts to talk to the other characters. In other words, having a TMWF forum account is like having one of Linya's pens: the character, in-story, literally has an account on the forum.
Lambda

Postby DanielH » Mon May 04, 2015 10:12 pm

This seems like it will be interesting. It also seems like it will be helpful for me in particular: my weakest point as a writer is characters*, and I think this might make it easier to work on and develop characters to the point where I feel comfortable writing them and their thought process in a visible form. It’s harder to tell if a character is behaving inconsistently when they’re behind an Internet mask and can’t visit any of the other people in real life, than if you’re making the character’s thought process visible.

* I’m not that good in any area, but I’m weakest at characters. The best way to solve this is to write more, of course, but it’s difficult for me to write much when I don’t have much of an idea of what the characters I’m writing are like.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Tue May 05, 2015 6:20 am

Do you need a separate email address per account? That could get mildly inconvenient for those of us with large numbers of characters.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Unbitwise » Tue May 05, 2015 8:01 am

Whether or not you need one, [cheesy clip art] Internet Tip! You can often have as many distinct addresses as you want, delivered to your usual mailbox, by using a + sign, like this:
your-usual-address+something-you-made-up@example.com
This works with many but not all email providers. Try sending yourself a message to see if it works.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Tulip » Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am

Ooh, that's a nice trick. I wasn't aware of that one. The only issue with it I can find, using gmail, is that it doesn't seem to work with automatic forwarding; if I've got example-name@gmail.com configured to automatically forward everything it receives to my main address, and then someone sends an email to example-name+extra@gmail.com, that email won't be forwarded. That's slightly inconvenient for me, because I've got a network of multiple addresses I use for different purposes, all set to forward to my main address. It's still a huge improvement over not knowing the trick at all, of course, but it does add an extra limit on my ability to take advantage of it.
Tulip

Postby DanielH » Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 am

I’m surprised that doesn’t work with automatic forwarding for GMail. I expect there’s some way to set up a smarter filter, or to have your main address pull from GMail using IMAP.

Another possibility: if you use your.address@gmail.com, then you also can use youraddress@gmail.com, y.o.u.r.a.d.d.r.e.s.s@gmail.com, or any of the other 1021 (2¹⁰ - 3) possible email addresses by putting dots between some of the letters. I don’t know if that will work with auto-forwarding, and it’s a lot harder to keep track of than your.address+your.character@gmail.com.

Does this forum use the same conventions as glowfic for fourth-wall stuff? For example, if somebody doesn’t have a Gotham, do they have a possibility of having a Dark Knight franchise instead?

Also, I can’t say this in-character, but it seems like having The Wood Between the Worlds go everywhere is a bit… difficult to manage. Many worlds are not compatible with being in the same cluster as Narnia, because of the different afterlife situation (this applies to Andrew’s, but I haven’t decided if he knows that for sure yet or just has pretty strong evidence that Christianity is a distortion of his reality). However, Aslan has access to all the Worlds in the Wood, and it’s implied he plays approximately the same important role in all of them. How is this going to be handled? Will, for example, Aslan only be a major figure in this one infinite section of the Wood, and only have access but not Jesus-level access to the rest?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Next

Return to Links