HabitRPG

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: HabitRPG

Postby Shoal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:56 am

the manual sync works sometimes, yeah. i lost hp when it wouldn't sync for over a day so it was saying tasks were grey when they really weren't and then i lost hp for not doing them. it was a whie ago, though. i still have better luck syncing by feeding a pet than by using the sync button.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Adelene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:35 pm

*pokes at hrpg* I'm probably going to finish this boss battle at rollover. How long does anybody else think it'll take them to be ready to party up?
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Shoal » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:58 am

I'll finish mine soon too, I don't think it'll be more than a week. I was just starting the quest and then I was in the inn for a while but I'm going to leave the inn today, but it's a really short one (one of those collect 100 of something quests) and I'm a mage this time so I can probably power through it pretty quickly.

Are you in any boss quests, Daniel?
Shoal

Postby Shoal » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:21 am

I think being in an active party will be motivating for me in a way that being by myself isn't, because when you're in party with an active boss, you can see what your friends' HP levels are like and you know that if you don't complete your dailies they could die (if their HP levels were already low). "I might let people down" is a stronger aversive than "I might lose HP"
Shoal

Postby DanielH » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:27 am

I am, but I prefer to keep my party within a relatively small timezone range because it’s nice to predict when crons will be. Additionally, so far all three of us know each other IRL, and I’d need to talk to them about merging the party with people they don’t know.

I find that sometimes the only way to get it to sync is to actually refresh the page. It does help if you wait for the progress bar at the top to complete before doing anything else; it gets confused if you don’t.

I also have a script that downloads all my user data every day right before and after cron, which doesn’t help with syncing changes but does make sure cron happens and with being able to recover from a sync error because I have all my info. The relevant line is:

Code: Select all
/usr/bin/curl \
   -H "x-api-key: ${HABITRPG_API_KEY}" \
   -H "x-api-user: ${HABITRPG_API_USER}" \
   'https://habitrpg.com:443/api/v2/user' \
   -o "${NOW}.json"
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby anthusiasm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 am

So this thing is really neat and seems like exactly the kind of thing I'm into, but I got bored with it in less than six hours, which I think is a new record for me and organizational tools. (Observe: I am totally on the Internet during Chemistry class even though I know I will lose HP points for it).

I'm going to try again in the summer, because I think part of the problem is that I am too busy to check stuff off my to-do list and another part of the problem is that I care about the actual real-life consequence of getting a bad grade more than I care about losing points in an online game, so HabitRPG doesn't do much for me motivation-wise. In the summer I don't have external forces pressuring me to work on my writing projects or, like, leave my room, ever, which means I don't because I suck at self-discipline. I'm at the point where any external motivation will be better than nothing.
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Adelene » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:13 am

anthusiasum: Do you find physical rewards motivating? I do, so I put together a spreadsheet program to give me random drops of RL goodies. It's a little too finicky for me to want to share it in its current form, but I could probably put together a Python version or something for you if you think it'd help.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby anthusiasm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am

I have not historically found physical rewards helpful, but thank you!
anthusiasm

Postby DanielH » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am

There are a lot of different ways it can help or not, due to idiosyncrasies of the person using it; I’d recommend trying some other way of using it instead of giving up on it after six hours. I guess that’s what you’re doing with the trying to list summer stuff. Your experience sounds similar to what I’d expect mine to be with the stuff you have listed, except for the “too busy to check off to-dos” part because it only takes 10 seconds to switch to the tab and check off all to-dos for the day even if I don’t go there in the middle of the day.

As an example, here’s my “play” style: I only include dailies I expect to actually be able to do daily, and thus almost always get perfect days; I have practically no bad habits listed (only the ones I really don’t want to do), but a whole bunch of good ones; and I write a lot of stuff on the to-do list. I respond to the bad habits more than the good ones (more for the “I don’t want to have to hit the minus button because it symbolizes I did something really bad” reason than “I don’t want to lose HP” reason), but I think that’s more a selection effect of which ones I list instead of an effect of how it’s useful to me; I respond more to the reward of a perfect day than the risk of losing health, although I don’t like missing dailies when it would hurt my party and I don’t like losing streaks (even though I think I’ve mostly cured myself of the human desire for streaks in other things because they’re actually meaningless); and I am inconsistent on when the to-dos help and I haven’t found any patterns in that. All in all it’s great for reminding me that I need to get up on time and that I need to take a shower, but not so great on reminding me that I should exercise (habit) or that I really need to buy shampoo (to-do). Other people respond differently; it’s fairly open-ended.

After writing the above paragraph, I’ve decided I’ll try listing more bad habits I don’t care as much about to test my selection effect hypothesis. I’m also going to buy shampoo, because come on this is ridiculous it’s not a problem to skip once in a while because we over-shampoo as a culture but I’ve been actually out of shampoo for a week.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby anthusiasm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:35 am

I haven't quite given up yet, I just don't find it interesting anymore, which means it's going to be harder for me to remember to log in and write down my progress. Also, when I say "too busy" what I mean is "I have so much stuff going on that I need to remember to do that I'm not likely to remember to check stuff off of my to-do list after I do it".

Also, reading over your play style, I think joining a party will help with the motivation part, but I don't want to do that until my life has calmed down somewhat.
anthusiasm

PreviousNext

Return to Links