HabitRPG

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

HabitRPG

Postby Shoal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:20 am

people have probably heard of it by now, but does anyone else here use it? http://www.habitrpg.com

I find it help for daily routine stuff, things that aren't very hard to do individually but that just don't seem to happen if it's not on my list of daiilies. For example spending two minutes cleaning the kitchen a day.

It doesn't really work for me as behaviour modification for hard tasks at all, but for staying on top of all the easy stuff it's good.

For example, I started out with a task to eat breakfast every day. And I did great at it. I had a streak of several months. So I thought I'd try to work on eating breakfast earlier in the day, and I started with a really easy target of eating breakfast before noon when I'm usually awake well before noon...and nope. I'd get stuck and then noon would pass and then I couldn't get breakfast points so I couldn't eat breakfast at all. So I made it so I'd get partial credit for eating it at all and full credit for eating before noon and still no.

I was doing great at eat three meals a day for months and made it just a tiny bit harder by making it so I had to eat breakfast before lunchtime and lunch before dinnertime and dinner before bedtime and all of a sudden I could barely eat 1 meal a day.

but before habitrpg I had trouble with lots of little stuff and if I take a break from habitrpg I have trouble with all those things again, but when I'm not taking a break from it I can at least do all the little daily stuff. so i would recommend it for people who have trouble with the little stuff.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: HabitRPG

Postby Adelene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:10 am

I use it too! Similar caveats to above, though for me it's more that I'm not motivated by punishment AT ALL rather than that I have trouble using it for behavior mod, so like trying to add hard stuff doesn't really work unless there's a new reward attached, and that's tough to make happen. But it is very good for staying on top of dailies that I'd otherwise forget, or blow off, or get mixed up over whether I've actually done them on any given day.

Shoal: For food, I use hRPG together with Eat This Much - I use ETM to generate two weeks worth of meal plans, store those plans in a sticky note app (I use this one, but you can obviously do a bunch of different things for the data storage bit), and then I have a daily to pick a meal plan from my list and put it in a separate daily to check off. I don't even try to keep to a schedule, but it seems like it might help to have a specific list of what foods to eat when if I was trying, and ETM will give you that.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby DanielH » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:09 am

I also endorse this.

Either I find the dailies more helpful than Shoal does or I haven't run into the sort of limits they’re describing yet. I do have a custom reward for calling a daily close enough, so that if I am supposed to have breakfast by noon and instead I have it at 12:30, I can pay one gold, call that close enough to noon, and then check it off.

I find the habits minimally useful if at all, and the To-Dos only somewhat useful. The dailies have been very helpful, though.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Adelene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 am

I actually do find the habits useful, but I use them less as 'habits I'm trying to build' and more as 'things I want to get points for, but that don't happen on a set schedule'. Like, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the 'refill water bottle' habit - that doesn't need to be done on a strict schedule (it probably averages out to once a day, but some days it happens twice and if I spend a lot of time out of the house it might not happen at all), but if I don't get rewarded when I do do it I'll tend to blow it off.

Agree that to-dos aren't that useful, though. I think they could be, if there were more features associated (like, having a pool of inactive todos with dates or a priority list attached, and having them pop up as active according to the date or by priority when there's no dated thing - hmm, I could probably make a spreadsheet app for that actually), but as it is now, not so much.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Postby Shoal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:34 am

The todo was most helpful when I had to go to the dentist and I made a checklist with all of the subtasks of going to the dentist: checking public transportation schedules, writing down the relevant parts of that, feeding the cats before I left home, watering the cats before I left home, leaving the house by a certain time, bringing a book, bringing a crochet project, etc. It was worth over a hundred xp by the time I'd added all the steps, but meant I didn't forget anything and going to the dentist should be worth that much xp :P

I have a daily for changing underwear, which would happen anyway as a part of getting dressed because I wasn't having trouble with that when I added it, but the position on the list makes it happen earlier in the day than it otherwise might, and specifying underwear instead of getting dressed means that if i'm sick i can put my pyjamas back on afterwards. I have dailies for brushing my teeth -- I tick those off everyday, it's going really well, but if I take them off the dailies then it stops happening as reliably.

I use habits like Adelene does, for things I need to do but not neccessarily every day or perhaps more often than once a day. I have a daily for making (a litre of) tea, and a habit for additional pots of tea. I have the meals in the dailies but I have snacks in the habits.

Does anyone want to be in a party together? I'm in a party at the moment but the only other person in the party has been inactive for a long time.

I'll look into eat this much. I have a meal planner program that I wrote (with the things I like to eat hardcoded into it because I was in a hurry), and I like using it, but if I get a migraine everything goes off the rails for a few days and then I get behind and then instead of generating a new one I just get further and further behind. Sample output:

How many days? [Enter=30]: 7
First day? [Enter=1]: 1
Day 1: Breakfast: blueberry mugcake, Lunch: rice lentils and raisins, Dinner: cookies
Day 2: Breakfast: cereal, Lunch: leftover rice lentils and raisins, Dinner: leftover cookies
Day 3: Breakfast: banana, Lunch: pan potatoes, Dinner: couscous
Day 4: Breakfast: cinnamon mugcake, Lunch: dal, Dinner: potato burek
Day 5: Breakfast: chocolate mugcake, Lunch: leftover dal, Dinner: pan potatoes with beans
Day 6: Breakfast: banana, Lunch: leftover dal, Dinner: cornbread
Day 7: Breakfast: chocolate mugcake, Lunch: leftover cornbread, Dinner: minestrone soup

It tries to space things out by category, because before I wrote that program I might end up eating a different potatoes meal everyday by mistake. Now it keeps track of the last sqrt(len(categories)) so it will have suitable padding between repeats. It also supports category weighting, because I want to make potatoes meals a lot more often than meat meals and baking bread is a hassle so I don't want to that very often either.
Shoal

Postby Adelene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:51 am

I would be interested in being in a party! I'm soloing that new blob boss right now and might hold off if other potential party members mind focusing on that first 'cause I really want to get the blob pets and mounts, but also that'll go very quick if we group up for it (I spend most of my MP on flame strikes and can solo an easy boss in 3 or 4 days usually) and I already have the scrolls for it.

Shoal - it sounds like Eat This Much might not be a *great* fit for you - the main advantage of it is that it does nutrition calculations, which is handy for me right now because I recently found out I'm prediabetic and I'm trying to keep my carb levels down; this comes at the expense of repetitiveness if you don't make a point of giving it lots of recipes to potentially give you - but it does automatically send you a meal plan email every week with your last settings, so it might still be useful.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Postby Paradox » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 am

The main problems I have with habitRPG are that if I'm busy and forget to tick off my dalies I can't fill them in the next day and that sometimes it completely fails to register that it's a new day. Other than that it works well for me.
Paradox

Pronouns: whatever you want

Postby Adelene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:11 am

Paradox wrote:The main problems I have with habitRPG are that if I'm busy and forget to tick off my dalies I can't fill them in the next day

I have an alarm on my computer at 11:45 pm for exactly that reason.

and that sometimes it completely fails to register that it's a new day. Other than that it works well for me.

That can happen if you don't log in for a full day, I think? Also if you're in the inn, but that should be pretty obvious if it's the case.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Postby Shoal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:36 am

I've found that if I have a browser tab open it doesn't recognise it's a new day until I feed a pet or sell something. Just clicking a habit or a daily doesn't do it and i end up losing a lot of hp when it finally syncs.

i'm also in the middle of a quest but when I finish it i'll not start another until we're all joined up.

the eating thing might work anyway if it lets you put in a lot of restrictions. i'm still trying to figure some things out. While being off gluten has made me feel a lot better and eating it still makes me feel worse, it hasn't really made me all the way better, and I figured out that milk and cheese bother me too (even lactose free), and eggs, and citrus, and probably legumes but it's my primary source of protein so i'm still eating it. and that's making it hard too. and so a lot of old favourites are becoming impossible but i'm not always able to replace them with something. trying lots of new things is stressful so i don't want to do it all the time, but I'm probably not eating very balanced at the moment either.
Shoal

Postby Adelene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 am

Eat This Much doesn't really do restrictions as such, I think - you can tell it not to suggest recipes with certain ingredients but I think you have to do that for each individual ingredient, you can't just say 'no gluten' or 'no dairy' - but you can set it up to use only recipes you give it, which is what I've done, and then you can just not include anything that doesn't work for you.

For manually syncing there is a button in the upper right that does that. I've never lost HP over that, though, that's pretty weird.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Next

Return to Links