With This Ring

Are locally relevant things being discussed elsewhere? Liveblogs, fic recs, trope edits? Alternately, direct your fellow fans to things that are not Alicorn-related at all.

Re: With This Ring

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:18 am

That sounds like a familiar feeling, where am I remembering it from.... oh right, from when I did the same thing with With This Ring last week, and last month when I read Elcenia, and last year when I found Effulgence...

Orange-ringed Joker would make me pretty nervous. Yeah, Jokers with lots of power are pretty trustworthy, but sometimes their wanting is broken and an Orange Lantern with broken wanting would be TERRIFYING. Particularly one that can want as hard as a Joker can.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Oraanu » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:04 am

If I were casting Effulgence characters with Power Rings, I would wonder if Sherlock's self-hatred could power a Red Power Ring. That seems potentially interesting.
Oraanu

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Kappa » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:00 am

That link does not lead to an example of a joker's wanting being broken. It leads to an example of a joker being traumatized and expressing that as a feeling of brokenness and disconnectedness from how they want things.

The things jokers want depend on their circumstances. The more powerful they are, the more they tend towards niceness. So it's not just that they're more trustworthy; having an orange ring actually causes a joker to want things that are nicer than the things he might want without one. And they have a strong natural resistance to the kind of shit an orange ring can pull. It's not like they need to meditate in order to arrange their wants properly; they don't have any wants they're suppressing. It's more like a cuddlepile in there than a hierarchy. And because they already tend to want things strongly, having that accelerated will be pretty easy to handle. A joker with an orange ring turns out remarkably like Teah. If he did the ill-advised thing OL does in the screwed-up training session, he'd end up pretty much exactly Teah once you account for differing methods.

(I have this feeling that, probably unlike the rest of the colour avatars, Ophidian is somebody a Joker could basically absorb and integrate with and hardly take a hit to personality. Ophidian would probably even be pretty enthusiastic about it, because Jokers have such a rich variety of wants and such a lack of inhibitions, and if all previous joinings have turned out like OL's did, Ophidian has probably never experienced wants fueled by other parts of the emotional spectrum. You of course can't separate a Joker from his feelings, so this would be an opportunity for a new and fascinating set of experiences. That would be an interesting alternate avenue to explore, although I think I'm fonder of the notion where I start Jokes off with an orange ring and then hand him the rest in haphazard order until he has all seven and then graduates to white. I'm disinclined to do both those things in the same universe, because I feel like they're not mythologically compatible, and I'm having a hard time seeing the Joker unintegrating from Ophidian once they've gotten together.)
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby cbhacking » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 am

PlainDealingVillain wrote:That sounds like a familiar feeling, where am I remembering it from.... oh right, from when I did the same thing with With This Ring last week, and last month when I read Elcenia, and last year when I found Effulgence...

I know, right? You'd think I would have *LEARNED* by now the danger in things that I discover through this crowd. I read Summons (Elcenia book one) in one day-and-night, and then some time later did the same thing with Luminosity, and then lost large chunks of many nights to HPMoR, and the same with Effulgence. And now I was up until 4AM reading WTR. Siiiiigh.... better get back to it, there's still a lot more to read!
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:51 am

It's so pleasing how the thing updates every day! I'm pleased about it.
Kappa

Postby AndaisQ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:51 am

I've just gotten to That Thing With The Ophidian and... honestly, thus far he seems to already be a Joker, just one with less impulse control and a self-centered worldview. It's kind of hilarious. (And tragic, but, y'know, tragicomic.)

EDIT: Oh, that's... literally exactly what you were saying. Okay.

Whoops.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Kappa » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:01 am

Ophidian/Jokers OTP? XD
Kappa

Postby AndaisQ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:49 am

As an extension of Jokers/Jokers, the ultimate OTP? But of course!
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Kappa » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:08 am

Well, I wouldn't say he's that close to being a real actual joker, described circumstances aside. But yes. XD

Whee, the thing updated again! Its regularity is pleasing to me. And I like it when OL talks to Luthor. I think I maybe ship them a little. XD
Kappa

Postby Kappa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 am

Yep. I ship it.
Kappa

PreviousNext

Return to Links