Board Policy Discussion

Declarations from on high about things.

Re: Board Policy Discussion

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:29 pm

It's simply an intractable hassle to post every single time I continue a thread that I was also doing just yesterday. I guess I could link to preceding threads when I start new ones if it's really important?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Lambda » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Regarding continuation-notices: I meant as a modification to existing continuation-notices. That is, in any case where you would have posted anyway "we're resuming thread X", it would be nice to include a link to the resuming-from point. But of course if it's too much hassle then don't bother.

None of this is super important, but if it's reasonably convenient then it would be nice.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:06 pm

I'll try to remember to do that.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Lambda » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks!
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby ParadoxE » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this but the "I’ve forgotten my password" link which is usually on the login page of phpBB forums isn't present and it would be helpful if it could be added.
ParadoxE

Postby Alicorn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:58 pm

I'm not sure how to put it in or why it isn't there, but as a stopgap measure, I can reset anybody's password to a temporary one and email it to them if they let me know.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby ParadoxE » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Could you reset the password for my account? The account name is Paradox and my email is paradoxicalechoes@gmail.com
ParadoxE

Postby Alicorn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Done.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Paradox » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Paradox

Pronouns: whatever you want

Postby DanielH » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:22 am

...I call all my goddesses now to comply!
Board Policy Discussion not Yambe’s—
I call all my goddesses now to give back
The life that I summon with herb and ash!

*starts cleaning up goose blood*

Sorry about that, I needed to resurrect this thread in order to make a request here, and that method was easier than making an evil or abuse of time travel.

Unfortunately, after some research, I found that most of my requests would be prohibitively difficult as-is. I am documenting them all here, not just the one or two doable ones, because some have alternatives which would be easy, I could have been mislead by bad documentation on how hard they were, or other people might have wanted them and should be warned they aren’t going to happen. These are posted in decreasing order of worthwhileness.

• (relatively easy) Add an inline [code] tag. This could help with, among other things, the [url=[quote]]Cooperative Zendo[/url] thread, where it could be slightly abused to generate a monospace font distinguishing the Il1 characters and the O0 characters. Instructions here (applied at Administration Control Panel>Posting>BBCodes>Add a new BBCode).
  • (ideal form not really possible; alternative form available and relatively easy) Add the image-resizing thing Tamien mentioned in May 2014. This turns out to be theoretically possible but intractable, at least with the existing [img] tag. It would, however, be relatively easy to add a separate tag, say [image], with support for resizing or alt text, but not both (without making the tag difficult to use correctly). I can probably find a specific custom BBCode if people want this, but I would have to know which of size, alt text, or ease-of-use to give up.
  • (actually doable, but probably not worth it) Failing user-customizable quote verb, replace the “wrote” with a more generic “said”. This one is fairly easy, although it would still require changing a code file. The language packs are separate enough from the main code and the part that would need to be modified is understandable enough that it shouldn’t cause a problem if you wanted to, though. There should be a languages directory, and inside that a directory named en or en_us or something. Inside that is a file, common.php, with the line
    Code: Select all
    'WROTE'                  => 'wrote'
    in it. Change the lowercase “wrote” to “said”. That should be it.
  • (doable, but high cost-to-benefit for this board) Syntax highlighting for code. Languages which have been used include CSS (for userstyles, mostly losing relevance because they were Dreamwidth-specific), Lisp (for some code Kappa posted), Python (for some code I posted), and probably some HTML and some BBCode at some point. There are multiple syntax highlighting mods for phpBB. I don’t know enough to recommend any, and since posting code on this board is pretty infrequent, and syntax highlighting is not actually an integral feature of source code, this would not be a worthwhile improvement. I just thought I’d look into it while I was already looking at phpBB stuff, in case it turned out to be easy.
  • (mostly completely infeasible) Add various [quote] improvements. These include linking unlinked quotes with citations to usernames, making the quote buttons on posts generate links to those posts, and allowing users to change the verb from “wrote”. The only one of those which is even sort-of feasible is the middle one; the others wouldn’t be possible because it is difficult to modify builtin tags and [quote] is especially hard. The middle change requires changing a line in the middle of one of the php files. This change would be completely overwritten if ever the board were updated (although all the quotes generated with it would still be linked), and the change in the latest version of phpBB would be much more complicated. I cannot guarantee that the link to the change would even work, but I can say that if it seemed to work it actually would (they probably couldn’t have hidden any malicious code in that line). All in all probably not worth attempting.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements