Sandbox Discussions

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Sandbox Discussions

Postby Kappa » Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 pm

*snrk*

Is Tony really his sole exception? Metacausal or actual - is he straight-but-for-Tony when he has a Tony, or is he straight everywhere else and bi-or-something when a Tony is in the offing?
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Mon May 19, 2014 10:12 pm

I don't even know, the question never even comes up when I'm not trying to squish him onto a Tony.

We should chalk a Tony if you're not gonna pick up/publicize ls/e.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm

I only said that the scene would be amusing, I didn't say that Kaylo would accept.

The way that Bril would be blunt with Kaylo, the same way he was with Aurora.

Alicorn wrote:We should chalk a Tony if you're not gonna pick up/publicize ls/e.

Do eeeeeeeet

Also ls/e = means?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Tue May 20, 2014 2:04 pm

ls/e is "Lake of Sky / Elcenia" and is a crossover fic kappa wrote some of that might reincarnate as a sandbox.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 21, 2014 9:44 am

Should I open a thread in Spoilerland to talk about potential revelations from "Admin in the summoning circle"?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 am

Only if you want to talk about that ;)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby MTC » Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 am

It surprises me that “royal_pain” wasn’t taken already, and I’m glad about that, because it seems perfect for the character (Is there a general name for the “Adarin’s sibling” template?). Also, is Bindings based on anything else specific or is it original? A couple things (new spells at midnight, mechanics of familiars) seem to come from D&D (based on my single‐fanfic knowledge of it), but it seems otherwise different enough that that could be pure coincidence.
MTC

Pronouns: male

Postby Aestrix » Sun May 25, 2014 2:02 pm

I was so incredibly pleased that royal_pain wasn't taken! My other options for a screen name were much worse, I think royal_exit was my best. I call the 'Adarin's twin' template Zevi, though I'm not going to get upset if they're called something else, feel free to call them whatever you think is appropriate.

Bindings is original, we thought of a premise, made up a magic system, and then rolled with it. It's got some similarities to D&D, but we tried to steer clear of them as much as possible. I think I was the one who wanted familiars, and Alicorn was the one who wanted the new spells at midnight, and we worked from there.
Aestrix

Postby cbhacking » Mon May 26, 2014 5:06 am

The familiars are only semi-D&D like. Losing a familiar in D&D sucks, but it's nothing close to "being unmade". You don't need one in order to cast, either; it's implied that the way you identify a caster in this world is "they have a familiar" but in D&D some caster classes cannot get familiars, and it's optional (though usually a good choice) for others. Furthermore, the vast majority of familiars *cannot* learn human speech, and initially then can't even speak to their wizards/sorcerers.

New spells at midnight is not actually D&D at all, except in the general sense of "you have X spells per day". Spells are gained after resting for long enough, rather than at any particular point. I should point out here that I'm working from 3.x rules for D&D; other editions are different and may not even have familiars or spell slots.

With all that having been said, it's true that this system is somewhat reminiscent of D&D... but that might just be because D&D has sort of permeated our consciousness to the point that it's what we compare such things to, just as epic fantasy quests are always compared to LOTR (where they aren't blatant rip-offs with the names - and almost nothing else - changed... *cough*Terry Brooks*cough* Wow, sorry, I should do something about that cough!
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Alicorn » Mon May 26, 2014 11:28 am

I don't think it's very D&Dish except that the concept of "spells per day" exists at all. This is a hard cap of six spells or one hex for absolutely everyone. Developing spells, learning spells, and casting spells all work very differently from any D&D class I'm aware of. Familiars obviously exist as a concept outside of D&D, and except for having idiosyncratic languages (at all ever) these ones aren't that much like those.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime