Sandbox Discussions

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Sandbox Discussions

Postby Ezra » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Well, is that what a particularly bratty sub with boundary issues would say?

Alternatively, maybe by "it would almost be the truth" he just means "it would be a pun on my name."
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Anya » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:09 am

AndaisQ wrote:a particularly bratty sub with boundary issues

hahahahahahahahhahahahah I Love This. Yes.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:46 pm

In Nexus, how dangerous is it to take a jump without knowing what’s at the other end, and if the answer is “any”, why?

Intuitively, I thought it wouldn’t really be a problem because it’s not like the other side is going to attack you right away, probably. Then from information about the MWF Cordelia I thought it must be an incredibly dangerous thing to do. Now it looks like the Dendarii did it (in an emergency situation where they would have done it no matter how dangerous) without expecting anything exciting to happen and not surprised that nothing exciting already had.

I feel like I misunderstand Cordelia’s career, what the Dendarii just did, or both.
DanielH

Postby Kappa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Note that Miles's first words on arrival were "Did everybody make it?".
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm

So uncharted routes mean you might just not turn up on the other end, but if you do then you will have used up a predictable amount of fuel etc?

In what way does a route being mapped help with that? Is there information future jump pilots can use to avoid getting lost in 5-d space, or are some wormholes just inherently unsafe but you can’t know which until you try?
DanielH

Postby Kappa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 pm

I don't have specific details worked out, but I vaguely imagine it goes something like this:

Wormholes vary widely in how easy they are to pilot a ship through and what that experience is like. Pilots who are forewarned about the character of a particular route will have a much easier time flying it even if it's objectively difficult. Going in totally blind, you have a lot more trouble. It may take several trips by various pilots before a wormhole is well enough known to be as safe as any other.

Also, jump point stations aren't just the equivalent of truck stops; they also keep data records about the associated wormholes, perhaps regarding things like 'pilot commentary on what it was like to fly it' and 'tracking the exact position of the jump point relative to its surroundings, to make it easier for ships to find'. Without any of that, you might have to deal with a chance of going in slightly misaligned, which will make your trip significantly more exciting, or other such things I haven't thought of.

There may also some wormholes that are inherently unsafe, but those must be incredibly rare or Miles would've sent a scout ahead to pop through and back and tell them it was safe to proceed.

(Also, I don't think the jump itself uses up a significant amount of fuel; getting around in normal space is much more costly. So all the calculations are about their trips from jump point to jump point.)
Last edited by Kappa on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Postby DanielH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. And that way a particularly good jump pilot would have a better time on an unknown wormhole than an average one, which explains how somebody could make a career of exploring wormholes and have any chance of getting something out of it other than money for grieving relatives.
DanielH

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:57 pm

...Am I imagining things or is that a jedi alt of industrialbruise
MaggieoftheOwls

Postby Kappa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:32 am

you're not imagining things
Kappa

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm

So I saw this https://fashionbeautty.tumblr.com/post/164294032595 and my first thought was "a wedding dress you would murder someone in"
so of course I immediately thought of Rosalie and that one Elf Joker, Zazi
MaggieoftheOwls

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime