Childhood Things

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Childhood Things

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:08 pm

So we keep having characters in Effulgence who are children and therefore need to have childhoods, because if the point was to skip to them being fourteen or whatever we would have just done that - usually if we're dwelling on the childhood of a character it's because we need to sound out / develop their relationship with other characters before they're fourteen or whatever and therefore at the point where they should be comfortable with their interpersonal environs and so we also need to be comfortable. But for some reason it's hard to think of things for kids to do with their time that make for good threading. We don't want to re-use ideas too much and we already blew a bunch of the good ones on Harley. What are some things we can do with various kid characters?

- Ideally doesn't require inventing too many side characters
- Ideally we should have a mix of both special occasion events and fairly ordinary events, e.g. Harley was shown both playing in the snow and also visiting an amusement park
- Ideally has affordances for inter-character interaction (kid and parent, kid and sibling, kid and friend-of-family or destined friend-of-kid), although kid-interacting-with-environment things could work if there's enough decisionmaking for whichever one of us is being "the environment" to have fun with.
- Since the problem here is that we're low on implementation ideas, relatively specific things ("they go to Yellowstone National Park on a family vacation and see critters and geysers and those bubbly mud things") are better than vague things that don't come with anything easily grabbed onto and plunked into a scene ("they have a birthday party"), but we can maybe use the latter kind too.
- There is a decent chance we could crib notes from events in the lives of actual current or former children, so go ahead and take this as a cue to tell adorable stories of your life and others.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Childhood Things

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Off the top of my (slightly sleep-deprived, at the moment) head, for Bells with the standard birth attractor (born in the late 1980s/early 1990s on Earth, which is conveniently also where/when I was born):

-They have a sleepover and play Truth or Dare.
-They play D&D/something similar.
-They discover the internet for the first time. (I remember playing Neopets obsessively with a friend in fourth or fifth grade (so age 9-11).)
-In school, they make time capsules/write letters for their future selves (I definitely did this at least a few times).
-They decide to write the Great American Novel/Tolkien rip-off/draw comics, etc.
-Some sort of Giant Important Disaster/Media Event happens such that school is canceled for some moderately long period of time (I'm really thinking of 9/11, which happened when I was in sixth grade (age 11 or 12), and resulted in school being canceled and us basically only watching CNN for several days straight, but natural disasters, e.g. earthquakes, would also work.)
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Anya » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:42 am

I used to put on plays and dances for my family, by myself and also with my siblings and/or friends.

We used to go on imaginary adventures, through evil magical castles and distant lands. Hunting ghosts and pretending to be ninjas. Coz we were cool like that, heh.

Playing "family". Where someone would be a mother, or father, baby, ect.

Hm.

Actually going exploring, we used to wander off from everyone and sneak around in one of the local farms, bushes or paddocks. Collecting things and generally getting into things we weren't supposed to.

I spent a lot of time getting lost and trying to find vampires. Heh.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Yenzen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 am

I'll add some:

- Playing at a playground, eventually getting bored and digging huge holes in the sand bed, climbing on things not designed to be climbed, swinging the swings so hard the chains break etc.
- Playing in a park or any field in which one may do sports, then be terrible at it because most children have little to no practice.
- Playing in the neighborhood, simulating things as varied as war and stables (maybe annoying neighbors).
- Playing at home, usually playing boardgames or computer/video games, or playing house with or without dolls or other objects to role-play with, or running around playing tag or hide & seek until parental figures throws you out.
- Visiting water parks, swimming pools, lakes or the beach.

- Exploring the local forest, building shelters against weather, being amazed or frightened by animals, being annoyed with insects like wasps and waging war on their nests, building dams in a futile attempt to halt the flow of a small stream, ignorantly playing with fire etc.
Yenzen

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Marri » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:06 am

We went ice skating for the first time when I was four and my sister was two. She was very indignant upon discovering that the ice was "swippewy".

Something I can see a Bell experiencing: I used to read EVERYTHING. Which included a recipe for Cheerio Treats on the Cheerios box; unlike Rice Krispie Treats, they're made with peanut butter instead of marshmallows. They had them at school for dessert one time, and I kept insisting to a classmate who was allergic she couldn't eat them, but she kept insisting that they had marshmallow and she wanted one. Finally I went to get a teacher, and by the time we got back she'd tried one and was having a reaction. Teacher was not amused.

Any sort of afterschool activity. I was on a soccer team for a while. I was the goalie, and by that I mean "goalie and all four defense because 'defense' meant 'people who refuse to run'". Carpentry class, where we all made tiny two drawer "bureaus" for ourselves, and then of course they all promptly warped cause the wood wasn't treated.

Summer camp. There was a nature camp near our house that basically stuck us on a farm for a couple weeks. Chickens are mean, vicious creatures whom I still strongly dislike. Pigs were reasonably unoffensive though it was always frustrating to sort out 'pig scraps' from 'trash' in our garbage, because I was never quite sure which was which. (Things like orange rind always seemed borderline to me)

Flashlight hide and seek. My best friend and her brother were three houses down the road, so we'd bike over to each others places regularly; hide and seek in the dark was typically the favorite game. (Though we also often just all read in the same room, but that is way less character interaction)

County fireman's fair. There were two we could get to, roughly the same distance in opposite directions. There would be fireworks and a parade by all the volunteer fireman and standard fair stuff (food, prize booths, ferris wheel), some kind of live music, some weirder booths (I got dog tags engraved there once, for a military-buff friend). Parking is always full of drama though.

US centric: fourth of July barbeques. Go to someone's house for barbeque, a couple adults always get tipsy, at least two more argue over how well done the meat should be cooked, eventually you go to a nearby park or something for fireworks. Everyone promptly gets eaten alive by mosquitos, your family decides that upon every firework you must all alternate between yelling OOOH and AAAH. At one point in the choreography think they added smoke to get the black effect that was necessary (I forget exactly how black was relevant to the show but it was) and later realize the fireworks had just set the launch bench on fire. Could maybe be ported to New Year's minus the mosquitos if not-US based.

The town near us had a Christmas House we'd go see every year. One guy who went super over the top on Christmas decorations (he does other holidays too but Christmas was the main event); he charged a couple bucks admission to offset the energy costs and you could wander through most of his house. It was INSANE, there were lights and train sets and singing dolls and whathaveyou everywhere.

Will probably add some more later.
Marri

Postby AndaisQ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:44 am

Interesting sidenote: Every human being I know who has done any sort of farmwork loathes chickens. Dealing with chickens actually broke my sister's vow of veganism!

Other childhood experiences:

Going to Ren Faires with an eccentric relative. My aunt took me and my siblings every year, and I can't count how many tiny pewter-cast wizards and wooden daggers I looked at desperately. Also, giant turkey legs are a very satisfying thing for a child to attempt to devour.

Going on very reluctant walks through nature reservations, before my parents realized that I was more of an indoors child and would prefer to be reading a book at any given time. I acquired a plethora of cool sticks, though. I may have been somewhat excessive in the acquisition of cool sticks.

Playing at playgrounds, and occasionally conscripting smaller children into grandiose sandcastle projects. For reference, toddlers make a terrible workforce. I don't think I ever completed a castle.

Playing on the beach and accidentally inhaling several tiny jellyfish when knocked over by a wave. It was so, so gross. You would not believe how gross it was. Do not breathe jellyfish.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Kappa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:01 am

AndaisQ wrote:Do not breathe jellyfish.

I will take this advice to heart! XDDDDD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 am

I did farm summer camp and I loved the chickens. I used to chase them around and pick them up and hug them and they never antagonized me.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby AndaisQ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 am

You are the poultry whisperer. Use your gifts wisely.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Kappa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 am

AndaisQ wrote:You are the poultry whisperer. Use your gifts wisely.

*cackling helplessly*
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Next

Return to Storytime