Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Postby Kappa » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:40 pm

I am unfamiliar with most of them. The DC source material I'm most familiar with is the Nolanverse and the DC source material I'm second most familiar with is With This Ring, the Orange Lantern self-insert fic. (Third most is probably the TV show Smallville.)
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:21 am

The first fifteen lives of harry august. Is such a great book, Anya recommended it to me (we might do a glowfic about it someday).

The premise is that are called "kalachakra" or "ouroborans", whenever they die, they are sent back in time and reborn again with your memories of the future. There is only two ways for a Kalachakra to truly die. The first is "The Forgetting", erasing the memories so the person is reborn as a blank slate. The second is preventing the Kalachakra's birth, which will cause natural miscarriages in the futures lives. Some Kalachakra are mnemonics, they remember anything and might be immune to the Forgetting. Thus a Kalachakra's greatest secret should be their point of origin.

Also, there is The Cronus Club, a world-wide group of Kalachakras that use their knowledge to get rich, take care of newly reborn members and keeping history as it is, since large changes can cause the non-birth of future members.

So idea for a Kalachakra!Joker: Got completely isolated and abused since very young age, with no idea where they are from. Eventually they are left on a random location, maybe to die, but manage to find civilization. In short, extremely traumatic childhood, but also a perfectly safe origin point.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Anya » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:42 am

My favourite book. Like Favourite. I've read it three times in the last three months.

For glowfic, I'd probably combine it with Harry Potter, since the kalachakra is the only local magic in the book and I like having extra extra magic in glowfic. Plus I like the thought of my character going through mulitple lives trying to convinve Nicholas Flamel to take her on as an apprentice.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Tamien wrote:I'm not sure whether I'd rather see Wendy be a Bell or an Elspeth, but I am definitely always up for more Elspeth. Elspeth is great and I miss her.

Oh man, what time period is Edward canonically from? It would be neat to see a Bell and an Edward who were from his time, not hers. Though I'm really struggling to see a Bell who is unambitious enough to just be a housewife, so I am curious what a Bell in those circumstances would do to end up with a Wendy!Elspeth daughter.

ETA: Also I kinda want to see a Bell enact something like Wendy does in S. J. Tucker's Wendy Trilogy (songs one, two, and three) and while I can see a Bell might potentially take over Hook's ship and crew it with Lost Girls if it helps her with her greater goals, I don't really see an Elspeth doing that. But Elspeth would really suit the more canonical surrogate-mother-to-Peter-Pan Wendy role, and I want more Elspeth. I'm so torn about which I want to see, argh!

Pan has already been vetoed as an Effulgence idea, but it came to me again recently and it occurs to me that the easy solution for a Bell being too ambitious for housewifery is that they tend to get hit by a van (I suppose it would probably a carriage, in that era, since cars were still rare). And his beloved Bella being dead might also serve to explain why Edward behaves so distant from his too-reminiscent daughter. And then Wendy!Elspeth could do Neverland things and find some magic there that brings her mom back so she can Bell the shit out of everything.

Course, that only really pushes the sticky question back to why the Bell decided to have the Elspeth so young, and why the Elspeth happened *before* the van. But those seem much more explainable than a Bell who sits around being an Edwardian housewife instead of Belling. (And hey, if a reason can be found that would convince an Edwardian Bell to get a jump-start on procreation, then maybe a similar reason can be used to convince a Sharing Knife Bell?)
Tamien

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:44 pm

Sharing Knife Bell?

Also: More Elspeth! That is always good :)
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Moriwen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Tamien wrote:Course, that only really pushes the sticky question back to why the Bell decided to have the Elspeth so young, and why the Elspeth happened *before* the van. But those seem much more explainable than a Bell who sits around being an Edwardian housewife instead of Belling. (And hey, if a reason can be found that would convince an Edwardian Bell to get a jump-start on procreation, then maybe a similar reason can be used to convince a Sharing Knife Bell?)

I mean, there's always the traditional cause for early procreation (i.e. accidental); there wouldn't have been any terribly effective contraceptives in that era, right? A Bell might deem the risk acceptable and then get hit with a Surprise Elspeth.

Alternatively: parents pushing marriage to a non-Edward person that the Bell doesn't like, so she gets herself pregnant via Edward so that they kind of have to let her marry him. Or: rich but obnoxious extended family member in frail health who has written the Bell out of his will but would be willing to leave a substantial inheritance to a Bell-spawn.

(Pan got vetoed? Too bad; that actually sounds like a fun idea, especially if you went with the original version, since it's pretty dark. Oh well, at least we can still sandbox...)
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:13 pm

If the ideas are no longer about Pan but about generic-early-1900s, who says the Bell has to be a housewife if she can help it? Also, are you sure she would be able to help it? Harry Dresden said that if you gave her a lever she would move the world, and if you gave her some trees she would make a lever, but not everybody is given so much as a leaf.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Slightly crippled by carriage impact, can't leave the house much, probably tries to get a salon or something going and writes a lot of letters?
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am

The Trailer of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children came out. Sounds like an interesting setting.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Tamien » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Have I suggested Locke & Key yet? If I haven't, I hereby suggest Locke & Key.

Rendell seems kindof like a Kingfisher and Lucas kindof like a Rayne.

I wanna see how a Bell reacts to the Head Key, and I can definitely see various glowfic characters having fun with the Anywhere Key, the Gender Key, the Angel Key, etc, etc.

Has anyone else read the series?
Tamien

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime