Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Postby Tamien » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:56 pm

I had an idea from talking to Kappa about Classpects - What about the Girl Genius universe? Cause Tony is Such A Spark.

For some reason I had been basically limiting myself to books when I thought about potential fandoms, and now suddenly I am thinking about webcomics and animes and oh man. What about a Gunnerkrigg Bell? Or a Fullmetal Alchemist Bell?

I'm not really suggesting these ideas as canon-fodder in the same way that I am the Old Kingdom, but man they are interesting ideas to play with!

Anya: I do not know the Percy Jackson universe, but in any universe where Bells and Tonies are allied with Greek deities, those choices are just obviously correct. Joker is harder; the Greek deities don't really have a good Jokerish trickster god, as far as I can remember...
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Hermes takes the role as a trickster god in Greek mythos.

Percy Jackson is about the children of the Greek gods and humans, which makes them demi gods. It's a good series, and I think it would translate well to Effulgence.
Anya

Postby Tamien » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Yeah, but I can't think of Hermes stories that frame him as a troublemaker the same way I can think of Loki stories or Coyote stories or Lugh stories. Maybe it's just my background and I'm just insufficiently versed in Greek myth? I mean, I think of Hermes as primarily a messenger god and psychopomp, and because of that my initial impression is that Dionysus might make a better Joker-patron, being the god of revelry and whatnot. But looking at the Wikipedia page for Hermes, he does certainly seem to have a lot of the right associations, so probably I just don't know enough about Hermes.

On the other hand, if a Joker is going to have a parent who's a Greek deity, depending on the way the whole God/parent thing works in Percy Jackson's canon, it might make more sense for him to have a God-dad who is a complete asshole like, I donno, Ares?
Tamien

Postby Rubices » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Belling the universe in Eureka (the Sci-Fi show) would be fun if either of you cared to. Premise: there is a small town in the USA populated by geniuses who Do Science; everyman sheriff Jack Carter brings his down-to-earth problem-solving skills to the table when Science Goes Wrong.

Obviously a Charlie would take the place of Jack Carter, and his daughter would be a Bell instead of being Zoe.
Rubices

Pronouns: She

Postby Rubices » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:59 pm

It would also make me extreeeeeemely happy to see the Earth's Children setting Belled (premise: stone-age Europe but religion works). However, I recognize that this is unlikely.
Rubices

Pronouns: She

Postby Alicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Percy Jackson: I've seen the movie, it was sorta-okay, I haven't been overwhelmingly tempted to check out the books.

Gunnerkrigg: Worldbuilding doesn't make enough sense as-is. Maybe if it ended with lots of explanations of things.

Girl Genius: I can't get into the comic because I don't like Foglio's art enough to look at it for any extended period of time, which I am led to understand is a terrible pity and the only reason for not liking the comic that means I may be allowed to live.

FMA: I saw one of the animes when I was in college consuming lots of anime; I don't know what the distinguishing features are to tell me if it was Brotherhood or the one that isn't Brotherhood. I liked it but it doesn't inspire me to fic for some reason.

Eureka: Used to watch it, got sick of the formula. If we were going to do this I'd want to steal the premise and nothing else, I think - keep Madscienceville and just remake it in our image.

Earth's Children: Had never previously heard of it but the premise sounds kind of neat.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 pm

The movies were awful compared to the books, but I do think you might enjoy the book series.
Anya

Postby Tamien » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Gunnerkrigg: Yeah, I have no idea how one would even go about writing a fic for Gunnerkrigg, at least not on the scope of Effulgence. It was mostly just that some of the themes and character concepts seem like they could be applicable. The story itself is pretty much too mysterious to do anything fun with, yet.

FMA: Probably it was the one that isn't Brotherhood. As distinguishing features, the one that is not Brotherhood is much shorter and has a much less satisfying ending and much less satisfying explanations of everything about the setting, except maybe the origin of homonculi. The one that is Brotherhood is much prettier and much longer and has a much more satisfactory ending (and also came out more recently, although I don't know when you were in college so it's still a possibility). Mostly it came to mind because it's a setting where attempting to cheat death produces interesting results, and it has an interesting magic system. It's an easier setting to fic in than Gunnerkrigg but if you weren't inspired then *shrug*.

Girl Genius: Phil Foglio's art is... kindof hard to look at. It's very busy and his people look rather samey and I think he kindof just stopped trying to improve over a decade ago. So I don't fault you for it, even though the writing is rather enjoyable. I like to blame Kaja for that but it's probably just because for some reason I like her much more than I like Phil.
Last edited by Tamien on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamien

Postby tau » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:37 pm

So, this thread exploded in the last 12 hours. It had three posts when I last left it.

New idea that no one has posited: Bartimaeus trilogy. Joker would probably make an excellently abused Bartimaeus -- what happens with demons is quite a good way for him to get his usual, um, abuse. Don't know if we want to replace Kitty or Nathaniel with a Bell, though. Or do something different altogether (but leave a demon for a Joker).
tau

Pronouns: He

Postby Alicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:55 pm

Ooh, I've read Bartimaeus. I'm not immediately forming a desire to Bell it, but maybe if I re-read it with that in mind something would come to me. Bells do object to the non-consensual use of sapient creatures, though, and I'm not sure if Bartimaeus's setting has enough affordances for her to do harm reduction that she could reasonably interact with the demons instead of running away from her teacher or whatever.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime