Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Postby Adelene » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Kappa wrote:Becoming immortal by dying violently is the sort of thing that Jokers enjoy

I think you're overestimating how much of a thing that is in that 'verse. You have to already be 'pre-immortal' for that to work, and most such people don't know that they are: the only way to find out is to be around an immortal - they have a psychic radar thingie - and have that immortal decide to tell you rather than ignore you or kill you in a non-immortal-making way. So, I mean, it's not impossible, but pretty much it's only going to come up the once if at all, on the scope we're talking about. (Pre-immortals are rare.)
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Meh. Jokers are very likely to die violently, so they don't really need to be told about it.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Alicorn is a non-fan of Homestuck, but we're going to be bringing loosely adapted elements of the mythology into an Effulgence 'verse at some future point.

You know, weirdly, I don't think Jokers do caliginous properly. Then again, given that the dominant emotion of redrom is supposed to be pity, they might not do flushed properly either.

Holy ground is offlimits to the Game. So if Jokers don 't wanna play, they can always just go chill there.

Yes, but then they would have to spend their entire immortal lives cooped up in a limited set of locations. They would much rather just keep on doing their thing and kill anyone who tries to kill them anyway. Or, to put it another way: staying on holy ground to avoid being challenged under game rules entails a certain amount of acceptance of those rules, which Jokers decline to give.

I would probably go one of two ways with an old immortal Joker - well, two and a half. The most tempting options are "relatively young, possibly to the point of achieving immortality onscreen in the modern era", "older than the supposedly oldest living Immortal but concealing that fact", and "older than the supposedly oldest living Immortal but not bragging about it because he adapts to the changing times well enough that people don't usually believe him anyway and he doesn't especially care".

Adelene wrote:
Kappa wrote:Becoming immortal by dying violently is the sort of thing that Jokers enjoy

I think you're overestimating how much of a thing that is in that 'verse. You have to already be 'pre-immortal' for that to work, and most such people don't know that they are: the only way to find out is to be around an immortal - they have a psychic radar thingie - and have that immortal decide to tell you rather than ignore you or kill you in a non-immortal-making way. So, I mean, it's not impossible, but pretty much it's only going to come up the once if at all, on the scope we're talking about. (Pre-immortals are rare.)

Yeah. I didn't know all those details, but I had the general idea down just fine. I wasn't expecting it to come up more than once per individual, and I wasn't expecting the Joker in question to have any inkling they were going to survive the violent death in question until after the fact - in fact, to Jokers, not knowing ahead of time would be part of the fun.

Meh. Jokers are very likely to die violently, so they don't really need to be told about it.
Pretty much. XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Tamien » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Oh gosh, I have been kindof purposefully avoiding Belling Homestuck in my head because I just have No Idea how a Bell would react to that Verse. I will admit I have been mentally classpecting various what God Tiers various Effulgence characters would end up with if they played Sburb/Sgrub, though I'm not really sure who-all would be a part of their session. I think they'd necessarily have to exist in a separate reality from the canon session. Jokers are Heart players; Bells are Mind players; it's cute because they're opposites. I think the Jokers are mostly Bards, but I'm still not sure what class any Bell would be. Sherlock would be a Paradox Clone of Tony and would probably be a Seer or a Mage, probably of Light but maybe Void? Tony I have nooo clue about. Maybe Time. Maybe Sherlock is a doomed Tony or a Tonysprite or something. I don't know! Homestuck is hard to Bell. (Obviously this is all my own headcanons - I would be very interested in hearing Official Opinions on how elements of Homestuck mythology would interact with Effulgence).
Tamien

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Also! I forgot to mention. Every immortal was a foundling. Meaning they don't have known biological parents.
Anya

Postby Alicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:10 pm

The classpects are the exact thing we're importing from Homestuck, except kappa made up like several dozen new ones of classes and aspects so it won't look that much like the originals. We have classpects for most people in our giant spreadsheet, though. (Bells do often get Mind.)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Squeee! The classpects are probably my favorite thing about Homestuck, so I am excitedly anticipating seeing them imported into Effulgence (even if Kappa did make up weird new ones that don't look like the originals). Any other classpects you're willing to let slip, or is that Spoilers that I need to wait for/ask elsewhere about?
Tamien

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:17 pm

If you go make a thread in Spoilerland, I will happily populate it with extensive spoilers about future Effulgence classpects.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:22 pm

I think this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_(Highlander) covers everything pretty nicely.
Anya

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Percy Jackson universe?

I figure Athena would be the go to parent for a Bell. Not sure about Joker, maybe Hermes?

Tony would have Hephaestus though.
Anya

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime