Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Postby Alicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:58 pm

I don't care for Anne McCaffrey; although the Crystal Singer books were readable I don't see a good opportunity for a Bell thereabouts and I don't want to read other Anne McCaffrey. Highlander I don't know at all except that decapitation is involved.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:06 pm

I second the various recommendations of the Abhorsen/Old Kingdom series. I agree with Kappa about the shallow worldbuilding (the non-magical parts of the world are definitely not explored in any depth). On the other hand, I think the series does really good *deep backstory*: the creation myth, the magic system, etc. Free Magic vs. Charter Magic, in particular, is something I've unapologetically yanked for various D&D campaigns.

As for other canon suggestions:
-I want to recommend the Amber series by Roger Zelazny. Honestly I don't think it would interact particularly well with the Effulgence-style multiverse, and I don't see an immediate place to put a Bell--so really this is just me recommending the series *in general*.
-Greg Egan, Diaspora, maybe. I can definitely see a Bell in the setting (and I assume she would act very differently, and interestingly so, than the original protagonist to the whole supernova situation...). Possible cons: entirely non-magic. Most characters are uploads or AI so that may be too close to LW/MIRI stuff for comfort. Alicorn + Kappa might hate the book, I guess, depending on their tolerance for hard sci-fi.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Someone may be better at explaining it than me, but:

People have the potential to become immortal. Immortal as in, they can die, but they will always come back to life. Except when they have been beheaded. Then it's permanent.

Pre-immortals become Immortal if they die a violent death.

Theres also this thing called The Game. Pretty much every Immortal is a part of the game. It involves hunting out other Immortals and fighting with them until one of them in beheaded. If you cut the head of another immortal you pretty much absorb all their knowldge and power. Myth says that the last remaining immortal wins some sort of Prize. Control of the universe? Ultimate power? No one really knows. But theres a lot of people that want it.

Um. I think thats the jist of it.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Yeah, I think it says something about Anne McCaffrey that my favourite book of hers was coauthored by Mercedes Lackey. They're both in the category of "readers I was enchanted by when I was twelve", but McCaffrey lost her charm faster as I grew up and was never as much fun as Lackey to begin with.

...of course, none of this is preventing me from contemplating a Bell in the position of Tia from Ship Who Searched... but nah, I don't ultimately think it would work out.

Pre-immortals become Immortal if they die a violent death.

*sound of Jokers perking up en masse* :D

jalapeno_dude wrote:-Greg Egan, Diaspora, maybe. I can definitely see a Bell in the setting (and I assume she would act very differently, and interestingly so, than the original protagonist to the whole supernova situation...). Possible cons: entirely non-magic. Most characters are uploads or AI so that may be too close to LW/MIRI stuff for comfort. Alicorn + Kappa might hate the book, I guess, depending on their tolerance for hard sci-fi.

I'm pretty fond of hard scifi, but I don't necessarily like all of it, and I don't see clear indications of whether or not I'd like this example in particular.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Adelene » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Yeah, if you're not already familiar with McCaffrey's work I wouldn't actually recommend reading it for this purpose.

I don't know a whole lot about Highlander actually, but the basic thing is that every so often someone is born who's for most purposes immortal; they can only be killed by being decapitated. If one of these immortals kills another, the surviving one gets the killed one's power, though this never made a whole lot of sense to me - they didn't seem to get physically stronger or anything. There's a prediction/thing where eventually only one immortal person will be left and something significant will happen at that point, so the immortal people spend most of their time trying to kill each other or defending themselves from being killed. There's also other magic, I think, or at least some magic-like quirks.

...There's a wiki. Of course there's a wiki. The 'getting a killed immortal's power' is Quickening and the thing with only one immortal being left is The Gathering, neither of which is actually all that fleshed out in the canon it looks like - plenty of room for playing with stuff. :)
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:18 pm

I got into the fandom via Buffy crossovers, to which there are a couple really good ones, and I really liked the setting and their whole immortality is really kinda different!

I then watched the movies, which are enjoyable, though not the best. Cool sword fights. And the tv show is pretty dated, but still good. It introduced this really cool Immortal named Methos, aka Death, the oldest living Immortal.

But yeah. The movies and tv show are okay, but I still enjoy the concept a lot more than the actual thing.
Anya

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Kappa wrote:I'm pretty fond of hard scifi, but I don't necessarily like all of it, and I don't see clear indications of whether or not I'd like this example in particular.
Diaspora should be trivially easy to acquire online, I think. But you can consult Wikipedia and also read the first chapter at the author's website (not terribly representative of the plot, but gives a fair guide to the book's writing style). I suppose you might also find it indicative that Egan uses ve/vir for pronouns throughout the novel.

Egan is definitely a Big Idea author, and I read him more for setting and rigorously worked-out scifi than for plot or characters. Given Effulgence pre-supplies at least the characters part of that and a good part of the plot, that may turn out okay here--but it may affect your enjoyment negatively. I don't know--I find it very hard to predict people's responses to Egan in particular.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 pm

I am becoming increasingly charmed by the notion of a Joker in an adapted Highlander 'verse. Becoming immortal by dying violently is the sort of thing that Jokers enjoy, and the Game Where Everyone Tries To Kill Each Other sounds like the sort of thing they would find entertaining, although I don't think they'd exactly get competitive about it. More of a thing where, if somebody challenges them, they announce that they are not playing, and if the challenger persists, they cheat brutally. :D
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby raginrayguns » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 pm

okay I'm not caught up in effulgence, but

hooooooooooomestuck

Troll!Joker in a caliginous relationship would be great, Troll!Bella taking over the Alternian empire with a team of varied psionics would be great

also, there's an interesting potential complication to the takeover, since vs vg gnxrf cynpr orsber Srsrev, Ure Vzcrevbhf Pbaqrfprafvba pna fgvyy hfr Ty'otbylo nf n qbbzfqnl qrivpr

(I'm not even thinking about sburb, I have no idea how it would work with them as sburb players)

but I guess I can't say this would "make an interesting addition" to effulgence, since I'm not caught up and I don't know what's going on
raginrayguns

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Holy ground is offlimits to the Game. So if Jokers don 't wanna play, they can always just go chill there.

I'd love to see an old Immortal Joker. What time period would you choose for them to be born in?

Methos is "the oldest living Immortal", born around 3000 BCE, so you've got a lot of leeway.
Anya

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime