Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:57 pm

I've read Sharing Knife, and recommended it to Alicorn. I am of the opinion that you could pretty much straight-up replace Dag and Fawn with a Joker and a Bell and the books would proceed roughly as outlined, as long as you found a way to get her into the situation Fawn finds herself in at the start of the first book...
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Shoal » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:03 pm

i am liking what i have read of the hundred thousand kingdoms so far. it is good on its own merit. it has magic and prolonged life and enslaved gods and the world is full and thick.

i think seeing Bell in Yeine's shoes (the protagonist who might be inheriting the hundred thousand kingdoms or might fail i don't know yet, still reading it myself) would be interesting. and maybe Joker would be Sieh - the trickster god and his father would be Nahadoth, but i could also see Nahadoth (god of night, chaos, and change) as a joker too -- will know better when i've finished reading, i can't decide if nahadoth is evil like joker's father or just does bad things like joker when not rescued early enough. and Relad and Scimina could be sherlock and tony but that would change their characters completely but would make it easier for Bell to do belling, but Relad and Scimina are twins and they might be together like sherlock and tony are together but i'm not sure yet. and i think they would be more interesting if they were replaced by tony and Sherlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inher ... K._Jemisin)
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:35 pm

I might as well list some canons we have considered Effulging here - we have a whole spreadsheet of vague future notions to be considered after we've gotten through all the higher-priority stuff:

• Good Omens: "Aziraphale" fits the name attractors for the Kingfisher template. A Joker Antichrist would be self-evidently awesome. If Alicorn decides not to Bell it, I'm still probably going to make Aziraphale a Giles, Crowley a Rayne, and Adam a Joker and write a fic about it, sometime after I finish Sword of No.
  • The Matrix: Bell as Trinity, Joker as Neo.
  • Sleepy Hollow: We both love Ichabod and the premise is mildly interesting; we'd probably scrap basically everything else in favour of The Adventures Of Ichabod Crane And Also A Bell.
  • The Listener: It's about a receptive telepath who can't turn it off and uses his powers to help people. Of course I suggested Belling it. ~*~ethical conflicts~*~
  • Vorkosigan Saga: I ship Miles/somebell with the fire of a thousand burning suns. But Alicorn hasn't read the canon; she tried it a while ago and then stopped.
  • Sharing Knife: As previously mentioned. Alicorn hasn't read it either.
  • A whole bunch more where Alicorn hasn't read the canon - Robin McKinley's Sunshine, Lois Bujold's Curse of Chalion, Carol Berg's trilogy whose titles all end in -tion but I forget the exact words because I lent them to Alicorn, miscellaneous Tanya Huff books... and Sword of No is my Terry Goodkind rewrite project, which is not going to contain a Bell, but will get hooked up to Effulgence if and when I ever finish it.
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:43 pm

Oh! I didn't know you started writing Sword of No. I remember you mentioning it on tumblr. I would totally read that.

It was a Joker as a Confessor, or was it a Mord Sith?
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Sword of No replaces Richard with a Joker, Kahlan with a Libby, and Denna with a Chainsaw. :D

edit: And I haven't started writing, but I've outlined the plot extensively. ^^
Kappa

Postby Tamien » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Fawn's situation is the result of some bad decisions that would be decidedly uncharacteristic of Bells. But perhaps not totally implausible, if they had been purposefully misled? Or perhaps the situation would have to be involuntary on Fawn!Bell's part, which would make it rather more tragic. I suppose that all is up to Alicorn's discretion, and if she hasn't read the series then who knows how it might go. Dag!Joker also seems like he'd require some backstory tweaks to get him to work out right, but probably nothing so drastic. Dag's got a lot of tragic backstory in canon, but iirc none if it is really in line with standard Joker suffering?

Oh my goodness an Effulgent Good Omens sounds fantastic, whether or not it gets Belled. I am excited at this prospect.

A Belled Matrix could be interesting, but I'm less full of squee over that idea than some of the others that have come up. I don't know much about any of the other fandoms you listed, but I've heard lots of good things about the Vorkosigan Saga and am curious about Sunshine because I like other stuff Robin McKinley has done (namely, The Blue Sword). The Listener's premise does sound like it would interact interestingly with a Bell!

Shoal: I am unfamiliar with the hundred thousand kingdoms! Perhaps it is something to look into.
Tamien

Postby Adelene » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm just kind of casually reading through, here, not putting a lot of thought into this, but Brain just spontaneously suggested the Highlander universe as potentially interesting.

I'm also vaguely curious how Effulgence would work in McCaffrey's "The Ship Who" 'verse, but I'm not actually sure it would at all, even if you look at some of the planetary venues included in that. (The Crystal Singer books are technically in that 'verse, for example, and I think she may have eventually put Pern in it too? Pern by itself would probably not be very interesting to Bell, but with the wider universe available maybe.)
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Dag would need some backstory tweaking, yeah, but Joker suffering attractors are flexible enough to settle into the broad strokes of his life without much issue. Probably his family would become even bigger assholes, and a lot of his reactions to the events of Wolf Ridge would be different in the details, but he could absolutely still end up a tired old patroller determined to keep killing malices until one of them kills him first.

...the Ship Who 'verse is an interesting notion. I feel like the world would take too much overhauling to be worth the effort, though.
Kappa

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Omg yes Highlander. That would be the best.
Anya

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:57 pm

I have never experienced Highlander and have only absorbed vague knowledge through cultural osmosis. What are its characteristics?
Kappa

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime