Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Effulgence Fandom Ideas

Postby pedromvilar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes but not with that particular intent in mind: https://glowfic.com/posts/60
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby DanielH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:48 pm

This hasn’t happened for Effulgence in particular; Alicorn doesn’t like breaking the fourth wall that way. It has happened in glowfic once, between Pedro and Adelene.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby NemesisNecrosis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:19 pm

I was thinking about Bell insertion ideas a while back, just thought I'd stick this one here:

One Piece. Namely, as a sort of Luffy-equivalent, except not quite Luffy's family. Or I suppose that could work, in the Loki fashion of atypical Bellparents.

Typical Bellparents:

Swan D Charlie is a Marine, and Renee is probably a civilian, and also probably dead, considering the mortality rate of D.'s mothers. They might be married or not. Being a Marine, Charlie would be away a lot. The Bell (Swan D Belli, evoking the currency in the verse, and also Luffy's name?) gets principally raised on Fuusha by the mayor and Makino the barkeep.

At some point she winds up in the wilds of Dawn Island and meets the Ace-equivalent there. Ace is the son of the late Pirate King (the most wanted man in the world), and being raised by bandits. I could see a Joker fitting here fairly well, though of course the Joker would not be much like Ace. I could see the Joker fitting even better as a Sabo-equivalent, a noble child who runs away from home because he hates his parents and their lifestyle (presumably especially his father, if he was a Joker).
I could definitely see Bell getting involved in the Revolutionary movement, or even actually starting it considering the presumed lack of Monkey D Dragon in this verse.
For those who don't know, the One Piece world is governed by a group called the Gorosei, a council of five World Nobles (AKA Celestial Dragons, Tenryuubito) their rule enforced by the Marines. The World Nobles are a group made up of the descendants of nineteen of the original twenty kings who took over the world. They have the right to do anything they want, including things which for anyone else is illegal - the Marines will look away or even aid them in doing whatever they want. They are raised with the belief that they are better than anyone else, basically gods on Earth (on the Blues?), and have the ability to call an Admiral (the second highest Marine rank, just below the Fleet Admiral) to do their bidding. One of the most common ways they use their power is by taking slaves. They can point to anyone and take them, and no one can do anything to prevent them from doing so without inviting the Marines to kill them and likely their whole family, and possibly also their island. This sounds to me like the sort of thing a Bell would not be Okay with.

Maybe Charlie was the one who caught Gol D Roger in the version? And then agreed to take in his son. Actually, in that case, Ace would definitely not be raised by bandits. Maybe it was actually Belli's great aunt who is the Garp-equivalent in this world.

With atypical Bellparents:

Monkey D Belli is the daughter of Monkey D Dragon, leader of the Revolutionaries (mother unknown), and the granddaughter of the Marine Vice-Admiral Monkey D Garp the Hero. Pretty much the same as above, though Garp is the one who periodically visits, rather than her father, and she wouldn't know who her father is or what he does unless she asked, and possibly not even then. The rest would play out similarly to the above. I still feel like she'd probably end up a Revolutionary.

Comments? Arguments? Annoyed tell-offs? Brush-offs?
Last edited by NemesisNecrosis on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NemesisNecrosis

Pronouns: Her/Him

Postby NemesisNecrosis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Could also fit a Sherlock and Tony instead... Bell's seem to pair up with Jokers more often in lower stakes environments. Though I don't actually have much evidence of that. Just the one Animorphs verse vs the Hunger Games verse in Effulgence.

The Vorkosigan cast... There was Aral, Cordelia and S... name's not coming to me, Gregor's father. And then the next generation of Miles, Ivan, Gregor and Mark. Could maybe see Ezar being in the place of the Donquiote family, who were World Nobles but removed themselves. Though I'm not sure I could see Ezar deciding leaving Mariejois as the best way of making the world a less horrible place. Maybe if he was particularly low on the hierarchy and planned on creating a rebellion? Maybe even had the time to make one and his second in command was Miles' grandfather. And then his son killed him. So the Vorkosigans end up in charge of the Revolutionaries.

Trying to fit the Silmaril cast might be interesting. Royalty of Alabasta, maybe? They're descended from the twentieth king but aren't World Nobles themselves.
Last edited by NemesisNecrosis on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NemesisNecrosis

Postby Alicorn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:53 pm

I hate One Piece.

ETA: I should clarify. I have almost negligible understanding of the content of One Piece but find all of its aesthetic surface features viscerally aversive in a way that prevents me from engaging with the substance. My sister loves it to bits so I assume there's something to like but I absolutely can't get near it.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby NemesisNecrosis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Aw, Okay.
NemesisNecrosis

Postby Alicorn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:04 pm

(See edit above.)

I don't wish to be discouraging in general; this thread is in fact for this thing. It's sort of unpleasant to find an entire 700 word essay on a thing all at once that I have to reject out of hand? But I guess some of it wasn't even aimed at me but rather at purple or candy characters. I recommend lower-investment suggestions to start out but the recommendation is weak if you just happen to like writing implausible AUs.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:10 pm

My relationship to One Piece is very similar to Alicorn's, although I think I'm less strongly put off. Also I can't read long sections of text without spacing between paragraphs.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby NemesisNecrosis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Kappa: Ah, sorry, should I fix that?

Alicorn: I do kind of like doing the implausible AU thing, but I mostly did it to see if anyone could make it more plausible than I could. I haven't actually read/watched much of the actual One Piece material, truth be told, I am just thoroughly entrenched enough within the fandom to know what's going on. I'm a little put off by the canon material, myself, for some reason I can't quite articulate. I think it might just be the shonen jump genre, I feel similarly about Naruto, despite also being really into that fandom.
NemesisNecrosis

Postby Nemo » Mon May 01, 2017 4:40 pm

If anyone manages to glowfic Chesscourt I will love you forever.
Nemo

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime