How lucky were Saasnil and Korulen?

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: How lucky were Saasnil and Korulen?

Postby DanielH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:27 pm

I thought the chalk was protected against smudging? If not, what did you mean by “the chalk design can be disturbed exclusively through a deliberate act by someone outside the circle”?

Would Bell-standard teleportation work, or is the “suddenly appearing elsewhere” to similar to Elcenian pushing?

The summoning spell is observed to work on worn and carried objects. Would it apply to, say, dæmons? What about separated dæmons that are far away?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:33 pm

The chalk is protected, but I feel like wishcoins might be able to fudge that.

Bell-standard teleportation wouldn't work - Elcenia-conventional teleportation/pushing/calling doesn't move through space either and they're similar enough to be covered the same way.

It would apply to daemons that were within circle-distance of the person but not to any farther than that, separated or non-. Someone whose daemon was farther away than that might not count as fitting within the circle, though, so a safety would prevent them from being summoned.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Anya » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:47 pm

And if someone's daemon was massive, bigger than the circle, would they'd just not be chosen for the summon?
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:04 pm

I’d guess that would fit under the “too big” safety along with somebody separated [EDIT: too far from there dæmon with or without actual separation] or somebody who were themselves massive.

You still never answered about black holes. I’m guessing they wouldn’t work in Elcenia at all, but would they instead be transformed into something which just has a bunch of down magic pointed at it?
DanielH

Postby DeAnno » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:34 pm

DanielH wrote:You still never answered about black holes. I’m guessing they wouldn’t work in Elcenia at all, but would they instead be transformed into something which just has a bunch of down magic pointed at it?

If there really is no gravity in Elcenia, an imported black hole would just be a naked singularity. If it decided to act in a vaguely classical fashion, the intense density and pressure would cause it to explode very violently, spraying all the mass everywhere.
DeAnno

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby DanielH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:01 pm

As far as I can tell, Elcenian astrophysics is as follows:

• The universe is filled with air, except where other stuff exists. You might be able to create a vacuum, but that has as little to do with astrophysics as the possibility of casting a time-telling spell.
  • There is other stuff that is not air, such as the sun, the moon, the planet, and various other similar objects very far away. Planets come in regular polygons with an appreciable thickness; I don’t know the shape of the other types of objects.
  • Planets have features on one regular-polygonal side and minimal features on the other face and sides. This might just be generalizing from one example.
  • All of these objects generate “down magic”, making anything close to one of their faces travel towards the object perpendicular to the nearest face. This does confusing things around the corners of planets.
  • Why? Well, there are some really good explanations for that. You should ask somebody who studies this kind of thing. I’d tell you, but I was just on my way to that class when this magic bar appeared.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:34 pm

The sun does not generate down magic. (Also, the moon is a hemisphere and generates down magic only on the flat side.) I have no idea what to think of a black hole in Elcenia. It might just be a very dense thing that fails to behave interestingly in any way.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 pm

It would be heavy enough to fall through the floor if the ward weren't holding it up, which is interesting, but it would come to rest where the down magic originates.

How would a tunnel through a planet work? If, for example, somebody were to start digging straight down and then continue in that direction until they got to air again.

If one can fly to the moon (and thus out of range of the planerary down magic), had anybody tried taking baby shrens away from the planet? You don't need to weaken down magic if you just get out of range, and I'm sure Ehail could manage it even if she needed to choose a different bird form (she could teleport with the shrens once she got there on her own).
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:12 pm

If you tunnel through the planet, there continues to be down in the customary fashion for five miles, and then after that you will have a hard time because you will be digging upwards with nothing below you. This also gets a bit interesting if you want to swim through one of the points where the oceans go all the way through.

Maneuvering in zero-down does not work.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:34 pm

(This is the thread I was looking for when I found the spell globe one)

In a sandbox, it was clarified that the chalk could be disturbed without the intention to release the person contained in the ward, but that this would not release them. What happens if all of the chalk is removed without this intention, and then somebody wants to release the person contained in the ward? For example, a water mage has some sort of accident and floods the room (washing away the chalk) before anybody can let the person out of the ward. Now Keo gets there, finds that the person still in the ward is not a threat, and wants to release them. What can she do?
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime