What would you do with the Silmaril peal's resources?

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: What would you do with the Silmaril peal's resources?

Postby DanielH » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Would they, if designing a world with no nearby purples, forbid violence, hurting other people, or some other too-broad category?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I would throw some resources at better template- and alt-detection. They're not going to shift paradigms overnight, and their current paradigm is "load power onto trustworthy templates", so they could at least be actively seeking more trustworthy templates to load power onto. (Of course this isn't going to help because the supply of templates is metacausally limited, but it would at least have gotten them to 'Miranda is a Bell' faster.)

Besides that... hm. More resources on unobtrusively vetting daeva for is-safe-to-trust-with-multiverse-stuff. More resources on "what the heck do we do when demons inevitably discover worldleapers". What's the deal with ability for arbitrary multiversal residents to become daeva, again? Are they waiting for some old people to die so they can find that out, or something? Anyway, one and a half is too few trustworthy demons to have working for the organization considering the number of demons that exist. Limits on Cam and Epic's time are clearly starting to produce delays that everyone would rather didn't happen.

Also +++ Mori's idea about the sanity committee. If I was going to run the Silmaril peal, I would spend most of my time running around trying to give my characters' perspectives on things, because a major common thread of my templates is "people from weird corners of personspace" and I think "think about this situation/decision as a Miles, a Libby, a Joker, a sane Serg, and a Sherlock" would be the most useful contribution I could make even though all those templates have skills that I can only sorta badly fake in real life. Well, except maybe Serg. Serg is only slightly more on top of his shit than I am.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:26 pm

I think Bells would probably forbid nonconsensual violence (given better resources than this peal has), which wouldn't satisfy Jokers but would allow boxing and stuff.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby quark » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 am

I think they really need somebody thinking about what to do differently when they find the next Shadow-type Arda, because given the number of Ardas they have to have anticipated that there will be more, and they really can't afford to handle the next instance of Midnight as badly as they handled the first one.

(and also, speaking of other perspectives, it would probably be useful to have one of him on side because despite his abhorrent personal habits he's genuinely very good at governing things and is sufficiently different to his alts that he tends to see flaws in their plans that they haven't noticed.)

Other than that, this is probably due to storytelling reasons but it feels to me like they have kind of been continuously expanding outwards since they started this multiversal consortium and haven't reached a point where they have decided to stop looking for new worlds and instead spend some time working with the universes and resources that they already have. If this were a real thing, I would want them to pause regularly and have some kind of audit of, like, what all the projects they have going are, what has gone well and why, what has gone badly and why, what they can learn from that, what problems are still unresolved, what resources they have and how they interact, which of those resources are under too much stress and which ones are being underused.
quark

Pronouns: they/them or she/her

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:24 am

The resource audit seems like a very good plan. It kind of sounds like they keep expanding whenever they do a neighbour search for whatever reason, and then they catalogue all the neighbours and start trying to deal with the ones that seem most deal-with-able, even if this might lead to becoming somewhat overstretched. Miles says this is totally exactly what he'd do but he does not really recommend the practice.
Kappa

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 am

I got the sense that audits and the like are happening off screen or something? And consolidating powers sounds like the best thing to do. That and deal with daevinity's failure modes.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:50 pm

If Miles did it it would work better. How would he make that happen?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:16 pm

DanielH wrote:If Miles did it it would work better. How would he make that happen?

Miles seems to make it better primarily through narrative/metacausal reasons, i.e. the only problems he faces are ones he is guaranteed to be able to solve. So not sure this line of thinking helps much.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Timepoof » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:59 pm

I was *just* wishing for this just today and now it's like wish granted so ok.
++sanity committee
++resource audit
++trustworthy daeva

Other ideas (maybe not fully thought out ones but things others can riff off of):
- More people on magical R+D thinking how to combine magics, reading various texts from the relevant worlds like Effulgence Juliet was and forwarding stuff, hiring magical people already from the worlds, etc.
- Giving places internet, leveraging existing internets properly - making stories/games of what it's like in the peal, making lots and lots and lots of people think creatively about all the things, recording and forwarding the best players/ideas. (aka basically sort of kind of what EY did.) Seeing how people play the games (see Peace, Aegis)/what kinda fanfiction they write.
- places like Hex and Hazel benefit from internets especially
- Recruiting first-pass recruiters who filter out people who are pretty clearly not suited/etc.
- Telling people who cannot actually do eg Spellbinding about how to chart things - then the locals need only test it.
- People working outside the system, kind of living among the people/running around the streets.
- Hiring Warp do-gooders?
- Hire/commission people to look at things and offer new perspectives, promoting those who have good ideas.
- Occasionally getting people to do things they don't normally do (a Macalaure handling a new world, a Tyelcormo being tasked with something, a non-template doing something) with safety nets
- thinking up what resources would be *good to have* and figuring out from there if they can somehow get them (that is a me thing! that is a thing that, were I a character/template in Silmaril I could provide!)
- Getting demons to write down all cool ideas from the fiction they read/watch/...
- doing small scale tests of various stuff
- realise the thing about being in a story
- people working on leveraging computers to help with magic (making spells/music, doing/casting)
- magical object commissions from Hex/Hazel/etc
- thinking about both low-hanging fruit and optimal long term strategies
- getting already trusted people to hang out in Eclipse during eclipses and iirc have babies a step away from the daeva worlds or something.
- occasionally swapping places for new perspectives, somehow
- admitting that they are not literally perfect/doing the absolute best they can do even when called out by non-alts
- hiring Eclipsed please please
- commission work in general
- really exploiting the various worlds where a lot of people are already magic
- using the fact that not everyone is totally averse to mindreading/spying on their past for trust stuff (making sure to get consent but otoh actually considering it as an option)

Resources that would be particularly good to get and use:
- Simulators of hypothetical situations/planets
- Recordings of osanwe, non-person osanwe broadcasting
- Recordings of memories?
- non-Arda magical objects that are more or less mass producible
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:37 pm

DanielH wrote:If Miles did it it would work better. How would he make that happen?

Probably by having a manic episode.

jalapeno_dude wrote:Miles seems to make it better primarily through narrative/metacausal reasons, i.e. the only problems he faces are ones he is guaranteed to be able to solve. So not sure this line of thinking helps much.

It's not quite entirely that; it's also that Miles is the sort of person where, if the problem has a solution, he will put in the effort and insight to find it. (And therefore the fact that I only put him up against problems that are theoretically solvable leads to the track record you see.)
Kappa

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime