Publicly Readable Sandbox Threads

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Publicly Readable Sandbox Threads

Postby Alicorn » Sun May 04, 2014 10:27 am

shesepankh belongs to Belltower because it's a repository of my accounts, and posts for this plot are being made in her account rather than alicornutopia because she's not participating in Effulgence so I didn't think it would be confusing (apparently I was wrong). I'll have an index for her plot when there's more than one post to index. Reading the Belltower reading page has been a reasonable hack for reading Effulgence because since a few sections into Effulgence I've been making all the top-level posts, but it is a hack and it will give you false positives (from shesepankh, hand-in-hand if her RP ever gets off the ground, and anybody else like them) and maybe false negatives (if ever kappa makes another Effulgence toplevel).
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Sun May 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby cbhacking » Wed May 07, 2014 2:23 am

Thanks Shoal, but since CD doesn't actually work *that* well for this format, is there any chance that Alicorn (or, where appropriate, Kappa) could let us know about new sandbox / I Can't Believe It's Not Effulgence updates? That would be much appreciated!

I mean, I'll find them eventually anyhow. I'm doing this thing where I compulsively check in-progress threads, but it gets tricky to tell if things have been added (especially on the inter-mixed threads like Chalk).

For the curious, both Teah-in-the-summoning-circle and Sphinx!Bella updated in the last day or so. I haven't found any others yet.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby MTC » Wed May 07, 2014 3:08 am

For those who may not be aware, Dreamwidth itself does provide a way to be notified of new posts. I have it set up to e‐mail me when there’s a new post in one of the active threads, and when a new thread is created in one of the predictable places one might be (belltower, alicornutopia, the recently active Bell accounts). One thing that seems to be missing from DW’s notification system is a way to be told of edits to a top‐level post, it’d be nice to be automatically e‐mailed when any of the index posts are updated. CD can do that but, as has been noted, it doesn’t work that well.
MTC

Pronouns: male

Postby Shoal » Wed May 07, 2014 3:28 am

Dreamwidth lets you subscribe to threads, so "whenever a new comment is posted in a thread" and also to journals "whenever a new comment is posted in this journal, but you can only subscribe to a max of 25 with a free account -- this can be mitigated somewhat by unsubscribing from threads that are finished, but not entirely.

i have it notify me whenever something new is posted in alicornutopia, for example.

i also have a text file where i list all the threads that i'm trying to paying attention to and how many comments they had last time i looked and what page of the comments was i on.

@cbhacking: the adventures of amariah-and-adarin was updated last night too: http://alicornutopia.dreamwidth.org/5324.html is the next post
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Kappa » Wed May 07, 2014 5:02 am

"I Can't Believe It's Not Effulgence" *snicker* <33333
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 07, 2014 10:13 am

I'm willing to do the same thing for Chamomile, Phixable, and random sandbox threads that I do with the other forum thread for Effulgence instead of updating the index post, but I'm concerned that it would be less useful there. It's easy to make an announcement when I start a new thread, or pick up an existing thread after a long delay, but I don't like making routine updates when all I'm doing is proceeding in the same thread day after day. So far progress in Teah-in-summoning-circle (for instance) has been relatively unbroken on a day to day basis and therefore would have been announced only the once. Would people like me to do this anyhow?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby AndaisQ » Wed May 07, 2014 10:15 am

Personally, I just bookmark the last post in each thread and open them periodically to see if they've been updated. It's nice to have a warning if you pick up a thread that's gone untouched for more than a day or two, but otherwise it's redundant, as you say. The alert on new threads and picking up old threads would be a good thing to have, though.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 07, 2014 10:17 am

Okay, will do.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby cbhacking » Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 am

Yay, thanks all who are feeding my fiction addiction (and helping me find where to get my fix)! Good suggestion on the "bookmark the last past" thing too.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime