A Character Cluster

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

A Character Cluster

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm

I want to name the set {Jensal, Ristrell, clonesona/Ashley, Governor Avalor} because I keep doing this type and should be able to talk about it. Halp.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: A Character Cluster

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 pm

FEB - Frustrated with Elves Bureaucrat?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm

nnnno.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:22 pm

I am a bit confused how they form a cluster, unless Governor Avalor is a noncentral member; could you point to the common cluster-y traits?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm so glad you asked!

They're all women who have shit childhoods (okay, Ristrell is a genderless Yeerk, but I write her with female pronouns and a female host; Ashley is sort of cis by default; but I have never wound up doing one of these characters in a dude body). They will mention this if it comes up but they don't make a point of it, but they will silently judge people who behave towards them in ways they would not if they knew about the shit childhood.

They usually still manage to be more privileged than some people in the classification of people who have shit-childhoods-for-the-reason-they-have-shit-childhoods. They are smart, bitter, driven, organized, often wind up at the top of organizations if they have the opportunity to do so, are good at delegating, and prefer to be direct and blunt. If you meet one, she will assume she isn't going to like you until proven otherwise and will be very judgmental about you, and if she likes you it will probably be grudging or a worthy adversary thing. Unless you are one of the people she gets sentimental about (shrens, clones) who get a little more benefit of the doubt. But she is pretty much functionally unimpaired by having no good personal relationships, she will just get bitterer. They can have closer relationships (Avalor's married and has kids and grandkids and she loves them; in Original Elcenia Materials there was a character who got close to Jensal; Ristrell has some friends) but there's a high bar to clear.

They each have a Value. They orient their lives around it. Jensal wants to look after shrens and help them cope and have good lives. Ristrell wants a Yeerk state that isn't based on Being At War With Literally Everyone And Having To Fuck With Your Psychology To Tolerate Nonconsensual Infestation As A Lifestyle. Ashley wants an end to cloning or at least organ harvesting and to help existing clones. Avalor wants her country orderly and strong and safe and culturally as she's accustomed to it. In spite of the dominant emotion of their lives by default being "really fuckin' bitter" they will work ceaselessly to secure and protect their Value until they literally die. They are good at making cost-efficient tradeoffs and they default to fairly conservative and risk-averse if they can but they don't have intrinsic personal limits (even moral ones) on what they would do to accomplish sufficient amounts of Value.

Also two of them have blue hair but I think that is a coincidence.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 pm

They remind me a lot of Ezars and I kinda want an Ezar to meet one.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Shoal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Are they not alts? Are they a broader category of thing than alts?
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:26 pm

That RoR Circle Police woman doesn't count?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm

They're not alts, I think they're not even template cousins. They're just a character type I fall into.

Neither Rochelle Chua nor Lilie Ho are members of this cluster. Lilie's closer but she's too - the only phrase that I can come up with that feels not-wrong is "too Asian" but I'm sure there is a less stupid adjective that means the thing.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby pedromvilar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Can you elaborate on what the phrase actually stands for?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Next

Return to Storytime