Elfthreads!

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Elfthreads!

Postby DanielH » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:51 pm

Oaths do respect the use/mention distinction, which is why people are willing to report oaths. You can sweat in foreign languages in at least the In Space version, but I think even then you need to intend to swear something?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Nemo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Aredhel and mostly-Fingon, in a conversation about Aredhel's son.

overwhelm them with honesty wrote:She shoots him a sharp glance.

Was this a pun. If so, it was a great one.
Nemo

Postby Unbitwise » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:26 am

I was thinking about Bella and Lúthien's discretion problem, and here is a wacky solution which involves no fragile deceptions or immediate practical consequences:

Bella can use her gem-driven-body powers to pretend to be a boy now. Elves do gender transition like that and even if "and I discovered my love the same day" isn't also a thing, she's not an Elf and could be arbitrarily weird.

Of course, this requires Bella to be OK with living like that for however long.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby DanielH » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:22 pm

It would probably go over better with people in general if they pretended she had switched to a boy, after hearing elves could do that and realizing she could too, and then they got married, and then she decided she didn’t like being a boy after all. It’s a less fragile deception than any others I can think of. She could even switch boy and back, now, so that she can more effectively lie by implication instead of inclusion.
DanielH

Postby Adelene » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:40 pm

DanielH wrote:It would probably go over better with people in general if they pretended she had switched to a boy, after hearing elves could do that and realizing she could too, and then they got married, and then she decided she didn’t like being a boy after all. It’s a less fragile deception than any others I can think of. She could even switch boy and back, now, so that she can more effectively lie by implication instead of inclusion.

I'm not actually sure Lúthien's parents would react better to that, though. Seems like they might be really pissed at Bella for, like, damaging their daughter or something, since - by their logic, probably - Lúthien then isn't actually married and can never be.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Ezra » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Well, we ourselves know from Kib's thread that the Valar might still consider them married; but the Valar don't make themselves available for comment in Doriath. Maybe somebody could petition Ulmo to say whether their marriage is valid or not.

But really, the fact of their continuing marriage should be visible to any elf that cares to look; that's the whole issue.
Ezra

Postby DanielH » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Their marriage very obviously exists. I was using information in Kib’s thread to make my suggestion, though. It probably wouldn’t be as good as if Bella actually transitioned more permanently, but probably more acceptable than having Lúthien just marry a woman. Even if Bella had been unambiguously male since birth, though, this wouldn’t be the most accepted of marriages; late teens/early twenties is not marriageable age for elves and it is hard to accept that humans age differently.
DanielH

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Thingol isn't really reacting any worse to Bella than he did to Beren in canon so I don't think Bella pretending to be a boy would really help regardless.
Paradox

Pronouns: whatever you want

Postby anthusiasm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:32 pm

So, who else really wants not evil!Maitimo to meet Grimdarda!Findekáno?

(Also: Elspeth is fabulous)

(guess who finally caught up on overwhelm them with honesty)
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Moriwen » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:42 pm

anthusiasm wrote:So, who else really wants not evil!Maitimo to meet Grimdarda!Findekáno?

+1000000
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime