Elfthreads!

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Elfthreads!

Postby Oraanu » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks! The conversations in the rest of that thread now make a lot more sense with that bit of context.
Oraanu

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Ezra » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm kinda charmed by Fëanor in "mommy fix it".

I bet he'd like pre-translation Lurking Kobold, in some of the same ways.

Actually, I'm curious if the kobold could or would teach their Fëanaro to read "body language" like its own language.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby atheistcanuck » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:33 pm

I super love Fëanor. I just....such a great adorable nerd.
atheistcanuck

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Adelene » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Ezra wrote:Actually, I'm curious if the kobold could or would teach their Fëanaro to read "body language" like its own language.

She might try, but I don't think she will, partly because it doesn't feel like a learned/learnable skill to her at all and partly because of how she comes at the idea of teaching in the first place. She might take a shot at it once she's seen an example of actual teaching-style teaching rather than assisted independent learning, though. (He'd also have to show an interest, but that doesn't seem impossible.)
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:54 am

Feanor now speaks English and Penglish.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Kappa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:12 am

Feanor is wow. <333
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Ezra » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:51 am

New Valinor

Also, they're not calling it Valinor, Valinor meant 'land of the Valar'.

Nova Linor
Ezra

Postby Ezra » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:26 am

In Grimdarda, does Celegorm do the thing that normal Celegorm doesn't do because it would be bad? Or is that too bad for even his bloodthirsty Grimdarda version?
Ezra

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:47 am

My first impression of Grimdarda Tyelcormo was "that looks like typical Tyelcormo behavior to me". Alicorn asked Kelsey and she said roughly "he has a lot more provocation that would get him to start murdering, but yeah, he's not significantly changed"
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Moriwen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Questions about oaths:

Do oaths respect the use/mention distinction? People seem willing to propose wording for oaths/report oaths other people have said/claim to have sworn an oath, without adjusting the wording to make the words they are saying not an oath.

Can you swear an oath in a foreign language without any idea that's what you're doing? Obviously you wouldn't get any intent, but would you still get the literal force of the words? If so, do you have to be really careful about people teaching you foreign languages, in case Bob claims he's teaching you how to say "hello, how are you" in Hungarian, but the phrase he actually teaches you is Hungarian for "I swear eternal obedience to Bob"? Similarly, what qualifies something as a language, what if I carefully work out a conlang so that the English words "what are we having for dinner?" correspond to the meaning "I swear to take all of your goals as mine" in my conlang, so unwitting people just trying to speak English are also speaking my conlang?
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime