Elfthreads!

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Elfthreads!

Postby lintamande » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:15 pm

And strong accent.
lintamande

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby NemesisNecrosis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Yo, been re-reading the Lokibell tossed into Arda stuff, and there was this line:

"-two of the kind of person who, tossed a world, change it."

about the Ambarussa, and I was wondering if there are any scenarios where that happened which I just missed? 'Cause it'd probably be interesting, and as far as I can remember we don't actually see them much, maybe least of all Feanaro's kids. Though maybe I'm just not reading the right continuities..
NemesisNecrosis

Pronouns: Her/Him

Postby NemesisNecrosis » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Are the residents of Doriath around in some fashion in Elf!Amentas? Naively I'm assuming Olwe and Elwe are around, if not Melian and Luthien, if only due to Galadriel and her brothers' existence...
NemesisNecrosis

Pronouns: Her/Him

Postby DanielH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Do they even know if portkeys can go interstellar? Even if there were an Amentan Bell, not being able to make a portkey would be unsurprising.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby DeAnno » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm not sure where it would be most productive to say this, but:

1) The escape rate of even a full atmosphere from Mars would be pretty low on human timescales, I think. If you got a real atmosphere on there I think it would last kiloyears. (I would need to do some work and research to actually check)

2) Even if an atmosphere was very very cold at one point for some reason, Solar heating and thermal cooling would dominate that quickly and the warmup would be on the scale of months or years. This is also mostly a guess but it would be easier than #1 for me to check

3) Adding enough rock to Mars to make it an Earth would be significantly more fraught with issues and problems than any of this, not the least the rock (and the Mars-core) would compress under the weight and this would release extreme heat, way way way more heat than the amount of negative heat you'd get from getting the atmosphere out of a bottle. I could check this third thing too but I'm even more confident in this than the other two, it'd be totally cataclysmic.

Source: a long time ago I studied Astrophysics in college.
DeAnno

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby DanielH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 pm

I imagine heating and cooling are relatively easy for magic to handle (and heating could be done by tech too).

I was fairly surprised when I checked recently and saw that it would totally be possible to have a habitable planet with a four-Earth-year year. Too long a year means the star would need to be so hot that too much of the light was UV, and so short-lived that nothing could evolve before the star died; I expected Amenta would be beyond that line, but it apparently isn’t. I think Amenta’s year was defined more precisely somewhere; if I find that I’ll see if I can make a simulation.
DanielH

Postby DanielH » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:42 pm

If Aitim has any trouble with his current plan, he should consider that somebody else already has a claim to the city. The magical Canadians might decide to enforce laws regarding Muggle rights.
DanielH

Postby jalapeno_dude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Plot twist: only Calado has secret Amentan wizards.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Previous

Return to Storytime