Life on Mars

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Life on Mars

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Just random musings/thoughts on the Empire of Stars’ first planet/city. This might end up sounding like nonsense.
First, who would move there? Would YOU, dear reader, move there? What would be your reaction to hearing about it? Do you think you could be accepted?
Then, there is life itself, on the more simple level of going to a near ghost city in another planet and how much it changes when you know that no one can hurt you even if you are walking completely alone at 4 in the morning.
Social issues that aren’t stuff that Stella would object but not exactly good publicity: Legality of activities such as prostitution or certain kinds of drug use? Gay Marriages and polygamous marriages? Heck, are women allowed to be topless?
Also, while there might not be flocks of people trying to go there, what would Stella do if confronted with a Mallyn equivalent needing asylum? Or just homeless people?
Sorry for the randomness
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Re: Life on Mars

Postby Tamien » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:10 pm

This seems neither random nor nonsensical!

I'd move to Eos!Mars in a heartbeat and evangelize to all my friends once I had. Whether Mars'd have me I'm less sure of, especially considering my main marketable skill is psycholinguistic research, which I don't actually have a doctorate in (and would definitely not be getting if I were living on Mars!) and which I'm not sure I could easily do on Mars. If they need an editor or PR person I could do that. Otherwise... maybe I could pass off as a bohemian artist type or like, convince them to provide me the startup capital to run a restaurant/bar or some other kind of shop. Or if I could convince Stella I'd be a good Imperial Mint, I'd totally go that route, but that would first involve me knowing that was an option :P

I'm fine living in a near ghost city, especially given magical transportation, and knowing I'm safe from physical violence is a big plus. I would petition to have all those activities made legal if they weren't already, and for magical modifications to be made such that drugs cease to be addictive and so you can be instantly rendered sober if you choose. I don't think I'd make use of legal prostitution (from either end) but I'd want it to be an option available to people (and since survival needs are guaranteed on Mars and unwanted physical violence is banned I'd be less concerned about people being forced into the sex industry). I would definitely want same-sex marriage and marrying more than one person to be legal because, if I found the right partners, those are things I would definitely do. I'd also petition for magical reproductive solutions to same-sex couples who could not naturally conceive, because that's another thing I personally want access to. I'd probably go around naked (or scantily clad enough to risk indecent exposure laws) at least part of the time if it were legal and accepted and a comfortable temperature/humidity for that and other people could have Celo-ish censorship of bits of me they didn't want to see, but I'm not sure I'd think to petition for it unless someone else already was visibly doing so.

I would probably spend a great deal of time sending emails to the EoS suggestion box.

I don't know what a Mallyn is, so no theories there. I would hope that EoS would accept homeless people because what's the point of having a bunch of free food and housing if you're not going to provide it to people who need it?
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Mallyn ins the main character of one of the unfinished Elcenia's novels, he is pretty much the biggest woobie in the world of Barashin. I mean just read the novel's first sentence: At least one of Mallyn's toes was broken.

Mainly, what I meant with the example... what would Stella do if some afraid and simpathetic victim came down to the migration center and was desperate for a safe place, but it would be politically disastrous to accept them?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:12 pm

If we posit that I am just barely different enough to not remember writing about all this as a fiction of my original devising, I'd move to Mars if my fiancé would and if there was a bus through the magic door to the Bay now and again so my friends and I could visit. (Most of my friends live in the Bay.)

The Empire of the Stars (and by a similar token the Empire of Rings, and other populated minting-based Bell empires with similar cultural extraction) make no objection to sex work, do not regulate or interact with marriages at all, have failsafes for the particularly bad consequences of drug use built into the ground rules, and start out silent on the topic of any level of public nudity for either sex (supposing blocking to be a sufficient solution) but later Stella switches to adjustable censorship and Pat, with her enchanted bubbles, switches to zoning algorithms so you just aren't liable to run into anybody wandering nuder than you like in public.

I can't think of an Earthly political situation equivalent to Mallyn's because Stella/Pat/etc. don't make treaties of the sort that was at play between Esmaar and Aristan re: Mallyn. They'll take refugees of any age old enough to seek refuge and summarily hire Lorin-equivalents to look after the little ones. They do take homeless people as soon as they have a population of... let's say more photogenic... folks to make a first colonization wave.

Stella hasn't rolled out conception for same-sex couples as an imperial service yet, but Pat has had more time and has probably gotten around to it and has a little department to handle it.

The shortest route from zero to Mallyn is Summons followed by Silver followed by the unfinished Siaddaki.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Yenzen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 am

The Empire of the Stars didn't start out offering immortality to Martians, but there was excellent magical health care and Ground Rules making involuntary harm virtually a non-issue.

After confirming the terraforming of Mars (probably with a telescope of my own, to be certain) and the existence of the magical empress (probably with e-mail correspondence, filled mostly with questions about immortality and can I please have some) I would definitely move to Mars.

If I were given immortality, I would seek to work for Stella and help people in need on Earth. In particular I would aid people who die by means of starvation, disease, stillbirth etc; these are causes of death and harm not many would object to magically fixing, they aren't delicate like economic inequality and conflict and why don't Bells fix them quickly?

I think the only thing that could dissuade me from immortality is if I was mind-warped enough to be unrecognizable upon gaining it, or if some other entity controlled all my decisions; in the first scenario I would be dead and in the second I would be watching a very vivid movie, not living.

If given the choice between living forever in unBellished Downside and non-existance, I would definitely choose Downside. I would become a contractor, be very immortal, make my own decisions and even be able to help people with their punishment!
Yenzen

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:28 am

Alicorn wrote:If we posit that I am just barely different enough to not remember writing about all this as a fiction of my original devising, I'd move to Mars if my fiancé would and if there was a bus through the magic door to the Bay now and again so my friends and I could visit. (Most of my friends live in the Bay.)

One of my problem would simply... trust the whole thing to be true and not some elaborate alien scheme. I am too pessimistic to take it at face value so soon and in the mean time more people would be in the waiting list for mars. Not to mention the language barrier.

Alicorn wrote:The Empire of the Stars (and by a similar token the Empire of Rings, and other populated minting-based Bell empires with similar cultural extraction) make no objection to sex work, do not regulate or interact with marriages at all, have failsafes for the particularly bad consequences of drug use built into the ground rules, and start out silent on the topic of any level of public nudity for either sex (supposing blocking to be a sufficient solution) but later Stella switches to adjustable censorship and Pat, with her enchanted bubbles, switches to zoning algorithms so you just aren't liable to run into anybody wandering nuder than you like in public.

I havent reached the Empire of Rings part yet.
I feel that the "hands free" policy for marriage is bound to cause some complications, less than on Earth, but still is the kind of thing it might be easier to have on paper. Public nudity being a thing could spread rapidly after being discovered.

Alicorn wrote:I can't think of an Earthly political situation equivalent to Mallyn's because Stella/Pat/etc. don't make treaties of the sort that was at play between Esmaar and Aristan re: Mallyn. They'll take refugees of any age old enough to seek refuge and summarily hire Lorin-equivalents to look after the little ones. They do take homeless people as soon as they have a population of... let's say more photogenic... folks to make a first colonization wave.

Maybe they could... "create" photogenic people out of homeless? not everyone has potential, but out of US-Canada population? Sounds pretty sure. Stella could send invites to them and that should amount at least a few hundred "photogenic" folk if not more.

Alicorn wrote:Stella hasn't rolled out conception for same-sex couples as an imperial service yet, but Pat has had more time and has probably gotten around to it and has a little department to handle it.

Neat.
I expect religious folks trying to bomb portals to mars afterwards, but neat.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby modrony » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:04 am

My moving would depend on if I trust this apparently omnipotent strange teen.
I think at first not, but that would change in few years if first-wavers were happy.
Then if I knew I was immortal regardless I would not move since immortality/health benefits are main reason to move and I do like my current city.
If I did not know about the afterlife and trusted Stella I would move.

Same sex/multiple marriages still need a church willing to perform the ceremony to be marriages.
Are we talking about civil unions? Spousal inheritance, child custody law etc.? Is justice system still based around 'jury of peers' idea?
Just because we live on mars does not mean we live in different culture.

In fact because mars is a melting pot of many cultures around the world it would likely be more conservative than where I live now. At least initially.

Reason I don't walk around naked is not that I would get legal trouble or fear of violence.
I don't do it because it would offend the people around me. This would still be true on mars and would still be true if I had a censor bar.
I would choose an area where nudity was accepted if I was moving anyway. If it existed.
Actually if I can get a censor bar that looks/feels like clothes to others by default? That would be ideal.
modrony

Postby Kappa » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:05 am

If I lived in Eos I probably would've been tapped for a backup mint, so yeah, I would totally move to Mars and just teleport back to Earth when I wanted to visit people. XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:58 am

Same sex/multiple marriages still need a church willing to perform the ceremony to be marriages.
Are we talking about civil unions? Spousal inheritance, child custody law etc.? Is justice system still based around 'jury of peers' idea?
Just because we live on mars does not mean we live in different culture.

It doesn't have to be a church per se. I'm going to get married by a friend who got ordained on the Internet. A civil union is a strictly governmental thing, and I meant to exclude it when I said that Bell governments don't touch it. They try really hard to avoid anybody needing spousal inheritance laws. Child custody can come up even when everybody's alive, but the kid gets say.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby modrony » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 pm

congrats :)

inheritance: Yeah. I was supposing we don't know immortality is a possibility yet.
modrony

Next

Return to Storytime